Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > BEST COMPACT CAMERA?

BEST COMPACT CAMERA?

Fco

Some Advice?

I am looking for a 28mm wide angle, +zoon +stabilizer.

Thinking about Olympus SP-550.

Thanks

Joseph Meehan

"Best" is a very subjective quality. A lot depends on you. For example
how a camera feels in your hands, how easy it is for you to view through the
viewfinder or see the display screen are a big part of what makes one camera
"best" for you.

I would narrow down the list and the other responses you get here is one
way you may be able to narrow down the list by rating the comments as they
apply or don't apply to you personally and then personally get a few of
those that appear good in your own hands.

Note: 28mm is a measurement of focal length. Over the years it was
taken to mean a wide angle lens as it would be on a standard 35 mm camera.
Today with the wide range of digital cameras out there, it is an almost
meaningless number. On one digital it might be a very wide angle an on
another it might be telephoto. Considering most compact cameras today have
zoom lenses, is it fair to guess that you want one that when set to wide
angle has the equivalent angle of view as a standard 35mm camera with a 28
mm lens?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

"Fco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fc898f$me8$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Some Advice?
>
> I am looking for a 28mm wide angle, +zoon +stabilizer.
>
> Thinking about Olympus SP-550.
>

> Thanks

Fco

I think I will purchase a Panasonic FZ18, or probably a olympus SP-550

Any comments?

"Fco" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:fc898f$me8$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Some Advice?
>
> I am looking for a 28mm wide angle, +zoon +stabilizer.
>
> Thinking about Olympus SP-550.
>

> Thanks

plb49

On Sep 12, 7:22 am, "Fco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I think I will purchase a Panasonic FZ18, or probably a olympus SP-550
>
> Any comments?
>
> "Fco" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensajenews:fc898f$me8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Some Advice?

> > I am looking for a 28mm wide angle, +zoon +stabilizer.

> > Thinking about Olympus SP-550.

> > Thanks

I am pleased with the wide-angle capabilities of my newish Canon SD800
IS. Although I haven't gotten it yet, I am also pleased that it will
take an auxiliary flash attachment, as the flash range of most P & S
cameras is quite limited.

Paul B.
www.scienceteacher.biz

pltrgyst

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:22:19 +0200, "Fco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think I will purchase a Panasonic FZ18, or probably a olympus SP-550
>
>Any comments?

I think you'd probably find the image stabilization on the Panasonic to be more
effective. I've got the Leica D-Lux 3, and find it so, compared to my former
(now my wife's) Olympus.

-- Larry

Dave Cohen

plb49 wrote:
> On Sep 12, 7:22 am, "Fco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I think I will purchase a Panasonic FZ18, or probably a olympus SP-550
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> "Fco" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensajenews:fc898f$me8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>>> Some Advice?
>>> I am looking for a 28mm wide angle, +zoon +stabilizer.
>>> Thinking about Olympus SP-550.
>>> Thanks

> I am pleased with the wide-angle capabilities of my newish Canon SD800
> IS. Although I haven't gotten it yet, I am also pleased that it will
> take an auxiliary flash attachment, as the flash range of most P & S
> cameras is quite limited.
>
> Paul B.
> www.scienceteacher.biz

If you are saying that camera (SD800) has a flash bracket, they've got
it well hidden.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14227
Dave Cohen

ray

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:22:19 +0200, Fco wrote:

> I think I will purchase a Panasonic FZ18, or probably a olympus SP-550
>
> Any comments?
>

> "Fco" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
> news:fc898f$me8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Some Advice?
>>
>> I am looking for a 28mm wide angle, +zoon +stabilizer.
>>
>> Thinking about Olympus SP-550.
>>

>> Thanks

Whatever floats your boat. My only recommendation would be that if you're
looking for an EVF (Electronic ViewFinder) camera, you should look at
several. Most will have a 110k pixel viewfinder. That seems to be fine for
lots of folks - I find it unacceptable. The Kodak Z and P series (and some
models from other manufacturers) use at least a 220k pixel viewfinder - it
is much clearer what you are doing. IMHO - it's worth looking at both
types to see the difference.

Fco

Ok, thanks to all for your reply

I´ve decided for the Panasonic FZ18. The reasons are

- 28mm Wide angle (equivalent 35mm). There are not many "bridge cameras"
with this wide angle
- It seems to have an optic of high quality
- I. Stabilizer

Viewfinder is 188K

In a couple of days I will receive it

Regards,