Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > motherboard or processor at fault?

motherboard or processor at fault?

nmorson@googlemail.com

Sorry if I'm in the wrong group but:

I have an MSI Neo2 Platinum motherboard and Athlon 64bit X2 processor.
The system fails to proceed passed the four lights of death on the
MSI's diagnostic lights.

Without changing the motherboard or processor (of which I don't have a
spare for either) is there any way of telling which is at fault? The
processor is only six months old so doubt it's that whereas the
motherboard is 3 years old. What should I look for? Everything powers
up ok and the fan spins on the processor, plus no smells of burning.
Help!

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) scribeth thus
>Sorry if I'm in the wrong group but:
>
>I have an MSI Neo2 Platinum motherboard and Athlon 64bit X2 processor.
>The system fails to proceed passed the four lights of death on the
>MSI's diagnostic lights.
>
>Without changing the motherboard or processor (of which I don't have a
>spare for either) is there any way of telling which is at fault? The
>processor is only six months old so doubt it's that whereas the
>motherboard is 3 years old. What should I look for? Everything powers
>up ok and the fan spins on the processor, plus no smells of burning.
>Help!

Have you got another power supply as IMHO 80% of computer faults are due
to this!..

Failing that if the processor is well connected to the heatsink and the
fans been running then I reckon the motherboard..
--
Tony Sayer

nmorson@googlemail.com

> Have you got another power supply as IMHO 80% of computer faults are due
> to this!..

No. Sadly this is the only power supply I have - has failed to boot
from cold a couple of times, but I put that down to dodgy memory
timings. It's a 600watt unit so should be ok for Athlon 64bit X2 4200
(or so I thought). Only other power hungry device is the graphics
card (BFG 6600GT)

> Failing that if the processor is well connected to the heatsink and the
> fans been running then I reckon the motherboard..
> --
> Tony Sayer

nmorson@googlemail.com

aha - managed to source another power supply. Don't know how powerful
it was but tried powering up just the motherboard and processor on a
sheet of cardboard and no luck - same as before. And this is a power
supply that powers another system fine. So definately motherboard or
processor. Due to the young age of the processor, I think I may just
purchase a new board and risk the processor being ok. I'd be surprised
if such a new processor is dead, especially since the fan powers up as
soon as power is attached so the chances of a fried processor seem
slim.

Many thanks for your advice.

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) scribeth thus
>aha - managed to source another power supply. Don't know how powerful
>it was but tried powering up just the motherboard and processor on a
>sheet of cardboard and no luck - same as before. And this is a power
>supply that powers another system fine. So definately motherboard or
>processor. Due to the young age of the processor, I think I may just
>purchase a new board and risk the processor being ok. I'd be surprised
>if such a new processor is dead, especially since the fan powers up as
>soon as power is attached so the chances of a fried processor seem
>slim.
>
>Many thanks for your advice.

Yep try a new MB provided that you can find one thats compatible!. They
do change 'em rather quickly the design that is!...
--
Tony Sayer

JTJersey

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:31:20 +0000, nmorson wrote:

> Sorry if I'm in the wrong group but:
>
> I have an MSI Neo2 Platinum motherboard and Athlon 64bit X2 processor.
> The system fails to proceed passed the four lights of death on the MSI's
> diagnostic lights.
>
> Without changing the motherboard or processor (of which I don't have a
> spare for either) is there any way of telling which is at fault? The
> processor is only six months old so doubt it's that whereas the
> motherboard is 3 years old. What should I look for? Everything powers up
> ok and the fan spins on the processor, plus no smells of burning. Help!

Look closely at the capacitors. They should all look FLAT on the top.
Do any of them show signs of swelling or bulging?

--
Registered Linux User #267152