Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Sony Player .oma files

Sony Player .oma files

NOTTNICK

My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
All his music on pc was originally mp3.
Transferred over just fine.
He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files across
from player rather than pc.
This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
install the latest software download in his player.
As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
(10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let him
transfer any original files back to the player.
New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format

So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files
so he can transfer them?
It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter program
to take them back to mp3.

Hope this makes some sort of sense.

Nick

meerkat

"NOTTNICK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
> All his music on pc was originally mp3.
> Transferred over just fine.
> He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files across
> from player rather than pc.
> This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
> He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
> install the latest software download in his player.
> As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
> (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
> He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let him
> transfer any original files back to the player.
> New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format
>
> So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files so
> he can transfer them?
> It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter program
> to take them back to mp3.

Can Sonicstage do that ? (sony software).
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Sonicstage&meta=

D/load Versions at bottom of page.

TJ

NOTTNICK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
> All his music on pc was originally mp3.
> Transferred over just fine.
> He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files
> across from player rather than pc.
> This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
> He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
> install the latest software download in his player.
> As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
> (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
> He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let
> him transfer any original files back to the player.
> New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format
>
> So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files
> so he can transfer them?
> It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter
> program to take them back to mp3.
>
> Hope this makes some sort of sense.

Not that this will help but SONY sucks.

My kid got a Sony mini-DV camcorder from her Aunt for Christmas last
year. Cool, right? Nice gift. I thought so.

Only problem was, it didn't come with any software to get whatever
footage she recorded onto her PC so she could edit it.

No problem plugging the camcorder into a TV and using at as a VCR for
playback. Just no way to get her recordings onto a PC for
editing/sharing.

So I did a little digging. Seems she needs a SONY program called "Movie
Shaker" in order to deal with the format the camcorder records in.

(XP "recognizes" the cam, but Windows Movie Maker can't import from it.)

What's worse ... SONY not only does NOT supply the "Movie Shaker"
software with *some* of their camcorders, BUT ... They also do NOT make
it available for download from their website for free, or otherwise.

So basically, my kid's stuck with a Christmas gift she can't use to it's
full potential. THANKS to Sony, she has to keep "borrowing" my Canon.

No more SONY products for this family.

NOTTNICK

meerkat wrote:
> "NOTTNICK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
>> All his music on pc was originally mp3.
>> Transferred over just fine.
>> He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files across
>> from player rather than pc.
>> This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
>> He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
>> install the latest software download in his player.
>> As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
>> (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
>> He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let him
>> transfer any original files back to the player.
>> New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format
>>
>> So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files so
>> he can transfer them?
>> It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter program
>> to take them back to mp3.
>>

> Can Sonicstage do that ? (sony software).
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Sonicstage&meta=
>
> D/load Versions at bottom of page.

Thanks
Had a look - uninstalled latest Sonic and loaded earlier version
Still get exactly the same problem.

meerkat

"NOTTNICK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> meerkat wrote:
>> "NOTTNICK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
>>> All his music on pc was originally mp3.
>>> Transferred over just fine.
>>> He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files across
>>> from player rather than pc.
>>> This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
>>> He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
>>> install the latest software download in his player.
>>> As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
>>> (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
>>> He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let him
>>> transfer any original files back to the player.
>>> New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format
>>>
>>> So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files
>>> so he can transfer them?
>>> It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter program
>>> to take them back to mp3.
>>>

>> Can Sonicstage do that ? (sony software).
>> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Sonicstage&meta=
>>
>> D/load Versions at bottom of page.

> Thanks
> Had a look - uninstalled latest Sonic and loaded earlier version
> Still get exactly the same problem.

Sorry it didn`t help.
bw..

ded

"NOTTNICK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
> All his music on pc was originally mp3.
> Transferred over just fine.
> He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files across
> from player rather than pc.
> This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
> He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
> install the latest software download in his player.
> As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
> (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
> He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let him
> transfer any original files back to the player.
> New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format
>
> So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files so
> he can transfer them?
> It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter program
> to take them back to mp3.
>
> Hope this makes some sort of sense.
>
> Nick

atrac/.oma is Sony's propriatary compression format.
I think you'll find that once converted to that format, your son's Sony
inflicted DRM desease on the files. They are now copy protected.
Have a read of this:
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7532

NOTTNICK

ded wrote:
> "NOTTNICK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
>> All his music on pc was originally mp3.
>> Transferred over just fine.
>> He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files across
>> from player rather than pc.
>> This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
>> He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
>> install the latest software download in his player.
>> As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
>> (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
>> He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let him
>> transfer any original files back to the player.
>> New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format
>>
>> So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files so
>> he can transfer them?
>> It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter program
>> to take them back to mp3.
>>
>> Hope this makes some sort of sense.
>>
>> Nick

> atrac/.oma is Sony's propriatary compression format.
> I think you'll find that once converted to that format, your son's Sony
> inflicted DRM desease on the files. They are now copy protected.
> Have a read of this:
> http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7532

Decided to spend a few quid on a converter.
Now realise (of course) that all the tags have gone.
Have 4gb of unnamed audio tracks!

However, in moving files etc. I have found thet in my efficiency, I had
backed up most of the mp3s on my spare drive.
All is not lost.

David Matthew Wood

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
TJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Not that this will help but SONY sucks.
>
> My kid got a Sony mini-DV camcorder from her Aunt for Christmas last
> year. Cool, right? Nice gift. I thought so.
>
> Only problem was, it didn't come with any software to get whatever
> footage she recorded onto her PC so she could edit it.
>
> No problem plugging the camcorder into a TV and using at as a VCR for
> playback. Just no way to get her recordings onto a PC for
> editing/sharing.
>
> So I did a little digging. Seems she needs a SONY program called "Movie
> Shaker" in order to deal with the format the camcorder records in.
>
> (XP "recognizes" the cam, but Windows Movie Maker can't import from it.)
>
> What's worse ... SONY not only does NOT supply the "Movie Shaker"
> software with *some* of their camcorders, BUT ... They also do NOT make
> it available for download from their website for free, or otherwise.
>
> So basically, my kid's stuck with a Christmas gift she can't use to it's
> full potential. THANKS to Sony, she has to keep "borrowing" my Canon.
>

> No more SONY products for this family.

That's weird, it should be just normal .DV format. Are you using USB or
Firewire?
Not that I am supporting Sony's consumer product line, of course