Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > terminal services and 70-290

terminal services and 70-290

=?Utf-8?B?VVdSRlJFUE9SVEVSMDQ=?=

Anyone have any info if terminal services is included on the 70-290 exam or a
good link I can go to to read up about it??

I'm going through a self study msce pack with preplogic and they didn't
include anything on terminal services for the 70-290, so I need a little help
or advice here if I should be studying for this or where to read up on it.

Robert Williams [CertGuard]

"UWRFREPORTER04" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone have any info if terminal services is included on the 70-290 exam or a
> good link I can go to to read up about it??
>
> I'm going through a self study msce pack with preplogic and they didn't
> include anything on terminal services for the 70-290, so I need a little help
> or advice here if I should be studying for this or where to read up on it.

The information you're looking for can be found on this page:

As with all Microsoft Certification exams, they have a section titled "Skills
measured by ..."

In this particular table, there are 4 instances of the term "Terminal Services",
so I would guess that the answer to your question is: Yes, Terminal Services is
included in the exam.

However, you should also note that "Troubleshooting Terminal Services" is
lightly covered in the courses that Microsoft provides, so you may have trouble
finding that in books or instruction.

Microsoft's suggestion regarding Troubleshooting Terminal Services: "The course
provides a general introductory overview of this task. You will need to
supplement the course with additional work."

My 2¢: "Get the experience by working with the technology, not reading about it
from a book."

Good Luck on your Certifications!!

--
CertGuard

=?Utf-8?B?VVdSRlJFUE9SVEVSMDQ=?=

By terminal services are they referring to remote desktop/assistance and the
remote desktop protocol/remote desktop web or are these not related?

"Robert Williams [CertGuard]" wrote:

> "UWRFREPORTER04" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Anyone have any info if terminal services is included on the 70-290 exam or a
> > good link I can go to to read up about it??
> >
> > I'm going through a self study msce pack with preplogic and they didn't
> > include anything on terminal services for the 70-290, so I need a little help
> > or advice here if I should be studying for this or where to read up on it.
> >

> The information you're looking for can be found on this page:
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.mspx
>
> As with all Microsoft Certification exams, they have a section titled "Skills
> measured by ..."
>
> In this particular table, there are 4 instances of the term "Terminal Services",
> so I would guess that the answer to your question is: Yes, Terminal Services is
> included in the exam.
>
> However, you should also note that "Troubleshooting Terminal Services" is
> lightly covered in the courses that Microsoft provides, so you may have trouble
> finding that in books or instruction.
>
> Microsoft's suggestion regarding Troubleshooting Terminal Services: "The course
> provides a general introductory overview of this task. You will need to
> supplement the course with additional work."
>
> My 2¢: "Get the experience by working with the technology, not reading about it
> from a book."
>

> Good Luck on your Certifications!!
>
> --
> CertGuard

=?Utf-8?B?QmVvd3VsZg==?=

Hi,

Terminal Services uses the RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) for communicating
between the 2003 Server Terminal Server & the client, which is a Remote
Desktop client. So on the server side it is Terminal Services, on the client
side a RDP connection is called a "Remote Desktop Connection".

The Microsoft Press 70-290 2nd edition (latest) has a section on:

Configure a server to enable Remote Desktop For Administration

Assign users to the appropriate group to allow them to administer servers
remotely

Connect to a server using Remote Desktop For Administration Connection

Installing Terminal Services and Running Remote Administration

So with Windows 2003 Server, RDP is part of Terminal Services, using RDP
version 5.2. XP Professional itself uses RDP version 5.1, so keep in mind an
XP Pro system can do a remote desktop session itself (say to another XP
machine)

AND "Remote Assistance" is also included in the Microsoft 70-290 material.
Remote Assistance is not part of Terminal Services.

Isn't this fun? I've been studying for the 70-290 exam, seriously, for about
3 weeks now. Your question is a good one.

Hope this helps

- Terri at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

"UWRFREPORTER04" wrote:

> By terminal services are they referring to remote desktop/assistance and the
> remote desktop protocol/remote desktop web or are these not related?
>
> "Robert Williams [CertGuard]" wrote:
>
> > "UWRFREPORTER04" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Anyone have any info if terminal services is included on the 70-290 exam or a
> > > good link I can go to to read up about it??
> > >
> > > I'm going through a self study msce pack with preplogic and they didn't
> > > include anything on terminal services for the 70-290, so I need a little help
> > > or advice here if I should be studying for this or where to read up on it.
> > >

> > The information you're looking for can be found on this page:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.mspx
> >
> > As with all Microsoft Certification exams, they have a section titled "Skills
> > measured by ..."
> >
> > In this particular table, there are 4 instances of the term "Terminal Services",
> > so I would guess that the answer to your question is: Yes, Terminal Services is
> > included in the exam.
> >
> > However, you should also note that "Troubleshooting Terminal Services" is
> > lightly covered in the courses that Microsoft provides, so you may have trouble
> > finding that in books or instruction.
> >
> > Microsoft's suggestion regarding Troubleshooting Terminal Services: "The course
> > provides a general introductory overview of this task. You will need to
> > supplement the course with additional work."
> >
> > My 2¢: "Get the experience by working with the technology, not reading about it
> > from a book."
> >

> > Good Luck on your Certifications!!
> >
> > --
> > CertGuard

=?Utf-8?B?VVdSRlJFUE9SVEVSMDQ=?=

Thanks, that does help. I get confused because there is terminal server and
settings and administration within that.

Wish they would just call it remote desktop protocol and keep it uniform. I
was so confused when I was reading about questions for terminal services. I
do have a little server set up on virtual pc and installed the remote admin
tools, I will need to take a look at that mmc more.

Thanks for the clarification.