Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > dell laptop Q:

dell laptop Q:

pemo

hello,
i have lurked a little here to try and find an answer to a problem. i have
an old dell latitude laptop that was running win 95. it has been on the
shelf in the closet for a while and i would like to give it to a niece for
school. i tried to update windows to 2000, not quite the most current
windows but my thinking being it's better than 95.
anyway trouble started after going on line after installing win2000,
computer froze, updates never installed, stuck on "verifying windows version
is legal .." which it is.
so not to give up i figure the hell with the updates i'll go with it like it
was for now. when i reboot, or try to reboot all hell breaks loose. windows
won't start, i cant get anything but dos prompts, so i enter dos mode and
figure the hell with it i'll reformat and start again, i'm brave even if i'm
stooopid. format works, i have a boot disc and cd for win 95 and i'm off.
now i can boot up, but i am having a hard time getting cdrom to install.
laptop has interchangeable drive units.
i am now able to get a screen that displays:

"device driver not found: mscd001
no valid cdrom device selected
A:\>"

how bad have i F*&^% it up?!
direction would be appreciated
pete

Alex Clayton

"pemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%TeFi.56$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "device driver not found: mscd001
> no valid cdrom device selected
> A:\>"
>
> how bad have i F*&^% it up?!
> direction would be appreciated
> pete

The "easy answer", toss it and buy a new one. As old as it sounds like it
must be, it's like giving someone a barely running 60 Ford Fairlane to use
to get to school. I would definitely not sink any cash into it, and even if
you can make it run, it will be sooo bad compared to what's out there now as
to be very frustrating. The technology changes so fast with PC's that
something that old is a waste of time. Laptops tend to have a short life
span anyways, a few years is often the "norm". If someone wants a Laptop I
always tell them buy a new one. They run from $450.00 to $600.00 for a very
nice one that will work great for several years.
--
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer.
Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does

gowanoh

To reload Win95 you probably need a floppy disk formatted to boot to basic
dos with CD rom drivers.
There are many sources on the internet for creating a boot floppy.
You don't say what kind of processor or memory you have.
If you have access to Win98 or WinME those would be better choices.
However if the processor is less than PIII vintage and less than 256mbs of
RAM it is just not worth doing anything except perhaps loading a Linux
variant for experimentation.
I have a perfectly functional old Compaq with an AMD 586 processor: it works
fine but by current standards its just too slow. Who would want such a
thing?

pemo

thank you but no. i would like to get the dell up and running like it was
before i started screwing with it. i have a boot disk but i cant seem to get
it to load cdrom drive (ive tried all four choices) the laptop has
switchable modules. it searches for cdrom module but cant find it because i
have the a drive module hooked up with the boot disk in it. i went to
bootdisk ,com and made a windows ultimate boot disk but then the laptop says
it can't run the .exe file in dos!
i know this system will be slow, outdated etc, but i would just like to get
it functioning as is once did. have done plenty of pc formatting, restore
from cd, but have never had the experience with a laptop that has switchable
disk/cdrom units. any suggestions?
thank you for the reply and the offer,
pete
news:dniFi.14646$(E-Mail Removed) t...