Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Oh the grain of it

Oh the grain of it

Pat

I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
daylight shots.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shar...ge=0&albumid=7

UC

On Sep 10, 12:02 pm, Pat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
> daylight shots.
>
> http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shar...?galleryid=3&g...

Probably camera noise from a digital camera set at very high ISO.

just bob

Looks like he's got a noisy-at-high-ISO camera but also the tool used to
create the thumbnails is making it look worse.

"Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
> daylight shots.
>
> http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shar...ge=0&albumid=7

G.T.

UC wrote:
> On Sep 10, 12:02 pm, Pat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
>> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
>> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
>> daylight shots.
>>
>> http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shar...?galleryid=3&g...

> Probably camera noise from a digital camera set at very high ISO.

I don't know. Browsing more of the user submitted photos there it looks
like they're doing something horrible to the photos before putting them
up on the website.

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

Swanning about

It might be to stop the photos being downloaded and reused.

"Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
> daylight shots.
>
> http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shar...ge=0&albumid=7

dadiOH

Pat wrote:
> I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are
> even daylight shots.

Texture screen (the digital equivalent of it), not grain.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

timeOday

UC wrote:
> On Sep 10, 12:02 pm, Pat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
>>their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
>>the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
>>daylight shots.
>>
>>http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shar...?galleryid=3&g...

> Probably camera noise from a digital camera set at very high ISO.

Clearly the photographer is submitting his work to the paper via FAX.

Somebody

"Swanning about" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It might be to stop the photos being downloaded and reused.
>

> "Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
>> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
>> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
>> daylight shots.
>>
>> http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shar...ge=0&albumid=7

That is my guess. This doesn't look like High ISO noise to me. It is far to
uniform. Like someone is running the Photoshop noise filter on it in
monochrome mode. It is a very good way to keep people from wanting to steal
them and with that amount of noise most noise reduction programs will just
screw the picture to remove it. They won't enlarge well. Outside of turning
thieves off the only other thing it does do is make the image files larger.
JPGs with that amount of noise isn't going to compress worth a ****.

Somebody!

Pat

On Sep 10, 8:04 pm, "Somebody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Swanning about" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > It might be to stop the photos being downloaded and reused.

> > "Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
> >>I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
> >> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
> >> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
> >> daylight shots.

> >>http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shar...?galleryid=3&g...

> That is my guess. This doesn't look like High ISO noise to me. It is far to
> uniform. Like someone is running the Photoshop noise filter on it in
> monochrome mode. It is a very good way to keep people from wanting to steal
> them and with that amount of noise most noise reduction programs will just
> screw the picture to remove it. They won't enlarge well. Outside of turning
> thieves off the only other thing it does do is make the image files larger.
> JPGs with that amount of noise isn't going to compress worth a ****.
>
> Somebody!

I didn't check, but I wonder if that's just a case of color separation
gone bad.

Bigguy

Pat wrote:
> I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
> daylight shots.
>
> http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shar...ge=0&albumid=7

It is absent in the well-lit outdoor soccer shots and most noticeable in
the lower light stuff; this suggests it is high ISO camera noise (or
different cameras were used)...

Thumbnails should be noise free due to downsizing/averaging - maybe they
were simple pixel resizes without 'smart' interpolation/averaging?

Guy