Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > access windows network drive

access windows network drive

Aljosa Mohorovic

i have a windows network drive mapped at "Y:" and i'm trying to access
folder "Y:\data\test" from web application (spring app).
if i use local disk ( "C:\data\test" ) everything works fine.

how can i work with/access folder on windows network drive, what are
common problems and solutions?

please post any tips, docs and similar info.

Aljosa

Roedy Green

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:46:07 -0000, Aljosa Mohorovic
someone who said :

>i have a windows network drive mapped at "Y:" and i'm trying to access
>folder "Y:\data\test" from web application (spring app).
>if i use local disk ( "C:\data\test" ) everything works fine.

try using / instead of \, or else remember to double every \.

at the command line verify :

attrib Y:\data\test

try copying a file to Y:\data\test and copying it back to make sure
you have full access.

Experiment with subst J: C:\

and see if you can access J:\data\test

I have never used a network drive in a Java app. I don't even know if
they are supposed to work. Logically they should since you access them
with the same OS C API as local drives.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Sabine Dinis Blochberger

Aljosa Mohorovic wrote:

> i have a windows network drive mapped at "Y:" and i'm trying to access
> folder "Y:\data\test" from web application (spring app).
> if i use local disk ( "C:\data\test" ) everything works fine.
>
> how can i work with/access folder on windows network drive, what are
> common problems and solutions?
>
> please post any tips, docs and similar info.
>
> Aljosa

You don't say what (if any) errors/exceptions you get.

Could be permissions (have a look at SecurityManager[1]) or the LAN is
down. Could also be that someone else is working o the file and has a
lock.

[1]
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/...tyManager.html
--