Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > use/reuse of intranet business dlls by asp.net apps

use/reuse of intranet business dlls by asp.net apps

=?Utf-8?B?bnV1dHV1ZG5ldA==?=

We want to use allready written C sharp programs for our asp.net
applications. The idea is that we write a program ONCE and use this same
EXACT logic for our internet apps. Everything will run on the same server but
we will have two types of clients 1. web based, 2. intranet based. Is this
possible? If so, what is it called in Microsoft speak? How to links would be
appreciated.
--
cheers,
nuutuudnet

Alexey Smirnov

On Sep 10, 2:20 pm, nuutuudnet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We want to use allready written C sharp programs for our asp.net
> applications. The idea is that we write a program ONCE and use this same
> EXACT logic for our internet apps. Everything will run on the same server but
> we will have two types of clients 1. web based, 2. intranet based. Is this
> possible? If so, what is it called in Microsoft speak? How to links would be
> appreciated.

You can identify the type of user by IP address, for example, if an
address starting with 10.*, it's an internal network IP.

if (Request.ServerVariables ["REMOTE_ADDR"].indexOf("10.") == 0) {

Aidy

Look into "remoting" or "web services" as two possible solutions. Maybe web
services would be the better solution. You expose your code via web methods
and both the website and applications use the web service.

"nuutuudnet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We want to use allready written C sharp programs for our asp.net
> applications. The idea is that we write a program ONCE and use this same
> EXACT logic for our internet apps. Everything will run on the same server
> but
> we will have two types of clients 1. web based, 2. intranet based. Is this
> possible? If so, what is it called in Microsoft speak? How to links would
> be
> appreciated.
> --
> cheers,
> nuutuudnet

=?Utf-8?B?bnV1dHV1ZG5ldA==?=

I do not want to reprogram. I want to use existing C#
Objekts/methods/programs in my internet app.
--
cheers,
nuutuudnet

"Alexey Smirnov" wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2:20 pm, nuutuudnet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > We want to use allready written C sharp programs for our asp.net
> > applications. The idea is that we write a program ONCE and use this same
> > EXACT logic for our internet apps. Everything will run on the same server but
> > we will have two types of clients 1. web based, 2. intranet based. Is this
> > possible? If so, what is it called in Microsoft speak? How to links would be
> > appreciated.

> You can identify the type of user by IP address, for example, if an
> address starting with 10.*, it's an internal network IP.
>
> if (Request.ServerVariables ["REMOTE_ADDR"].indexOf("10.") == 0) {

=?Utf-8?B?bnV1dHV1ZG5ldA==?=

We have heard of these two things but they are not exactly what we want. We
understand remoting to be a sort of physical shoving back and forth of data
between two apps. And Web services do not also fit our scenario. We have
existing allready written C# logic. We want asp.net (OR our internet
programs) to simply be able to use this C# logic. We are simply trying to
avoid the work of building two apps, one for web and one for intranet.
--
cheers,
nuutuudnet

"Aidy" wrote:

> Look into "remoting" or "web services" as two possible solutions. Maybe web
> services would be the better solution. You expose your code via web methods
> and both the website and applications use the web service.
>
> "nuutuudnet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We want to use allready written C sharp programs for our asp.net
> > applications. The idea is that we write a program ONCE and use this same
> > EXACT logic for our internet apps. Everything will run on the same server
> > but
> > we will have two types of clients 1. web based, 2. intranet based. Is this
> > possible? If so, what is it called in Microsoft speak? How to links would
> > be
> > appreciated.
> > --
> > cheers,
> > nuutuudnet

Aidy

Then just reference the dlls from your web project and you should be able to
use them as normal.

"nuutuudnet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have heard of these two things but they are not exactly what we want.
> We
> understand remoting to be a sort of physical shoving back and forth of
> data
> between two apps. And Web services do not also fit our scenario. We have
> existing allready written C# logic. We want asp.net (OR our internet
> programs) to simply be able to use this C# logic. We are simply trying to
> avoid the work of building two apps, one for web and one for intranet.
> --
> cheers,
> nuutuudnet
>

> "Aidy" wrote:
>
>> Look into "remoting" or "web services" as two possible solutions. Maybe
>> web
>> services would be the better solution. You expose your code via web
>> methods
>> and both the website and applications use the web service.
>>
>> "nuutuudnet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > We want to use allready written C sharp programs for our asp.net
>> > applications. The idea is that we write a program ONCE and use this
>> > same
>> > EXACT logic for our internet apps. Everything will run on the same
>> > server
>> > but
>> > we will have two types of clients 1. web based, 2. intranet based. Is
>> > this
>> > possible? If so, what is it called in Microsoft speak? How to links
>> > would
>> > be
>> > appreciated.
>> > --
>> > cheers,
>> > nuutuudnet

Alexey Smirnov

You wrote:

> Everything will run on the same server

Does it mean you will have the same application with two kind of
users, or you will have two applications: one for internet and one for
intranet? I don't see any point to build a web service here

=?Utf-8?B?bnV1dHV1ZG5ldA==?=

Exactly, I have web users and in house intranet users. But we want both users
to make database changes in exactly and precisely the same way as far as
types, as far as date conversions, whatever. We hope with dotnet to be able
to write one program here in house, compile it, put one on the internet and
one local (both actually physically in the same machine) we'll write a GUI in
c# for in-house and an asp.net (??) GUI for the web but the kernal business
logic is exactly and precisely the same c#. I am hoping that someone could
tell me that it is indeed as simple as Aidy says just refrencing the methods,
classes and variables.
--
cheers,
nuutuudnet

On Sep 11, 9:26 am, nuutuudnet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Exactly, I have web users and in house intranet users. But we want both users
> to make database changes in exactly and precisely the same way as far as
> types, as far as date conversions, whatever. We hope with dotnet to be able
> to write one program here in house, compile it, put one on the internet and
> one local (both actually physically in the same machine) we'll write a GUI in
> c# for in-house and an asp.net (??) GUI for the web but the kernal business
> logic is exactly and precisely the same c#. I am hoping that someone could
> tell me that it is indeed as simple as Aidy says just refrencing the methods,
> classes and variables.
> --
> cheers,
> nuutuudnet
>

> "Alexey Smirnov" wrote:
> > On Sep 10, 4:16 pm, nuutuudnet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > We have heard of these two things but they are not exactly what we want. We
> > > understand remoting to be a sort of physical shoving back and forth of data
> > > between two apps. And Web services do not also fit our scenario. We have
> > > existing allready written C# logic. We want asp.net (OR our internet
> > > programs) to simply be able to use this C# logic. We are simply trying to
> > > avoid the work of building two apps, one for web and one for intranet.
> > > --
> > > cheers,
> > > nuutuudnet

> > You wrote:

> > > Everything will run on the same server

> > Does it mean you will have the same application with two kind of
> > users, or you will have two applications: one for internet and one for
> > intranet? I don't see any point to build a web service here- Hide quoted text -

What I ment, is that you can setup one application on one server for
all users. You didn't say that it has to be different (intranet/
internet), so why don't you make your existing intranet ASP.NET
application available in the internet?

=?Utf-8?B?bnV1dHV1ZG5ldA==?=

Maybe it is better to describe what we have now. What we have is one Visual
Basic dll of which each user has his own copy on his own computer in house.
Then we have a PHP based web portal where this Visual Basic business logic is
imitated. I read through the VB and write the exact logic in PHP. All above
named entities write to our central MS database. We run the PHP in Apache now
but would like to switch to IIS. Our current problem is, everytime something
changes in the Visual Basic, we have to write new PHP programs. We would like
one program which we could distribute to all our inhouse users (which we
allready do) --as well as-- internet portal. We allready have IIS an would
just need to switch over. The thing is, we will not want to switch over, when
we are forced to do with asp.net, what we allready have to do with PHP, that
is write a different program which trys to imitate the inhouse desktop
programs. Right now we have a windows programmer and a web programmer. We
hope to just have one windows programmer, and one program to maintain.
--
cheers,
nuutuudnet