Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How to check the middleware platform is up and running?

How to check the middleware platform is up and running?

Allen Shao

I got an integration middleware platform sitting on a Windows2003 box,
running smoothly most of the time. But it has been down for a few
times due to some reasons. I am wondering how can I write a piece of
code to check whether this platform is up and running and send
notification emails when it is down. In .NET, there is a class called
"ServiceController", which can allows developer to connect to a
running or stopped service, manipulate it, or get information about
it. Dose Java have this equivalent API or capability to check up the
platform status?

Look forward to any reply.
Best Regards

Roedy Green

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 23:03:30 -0700, Allen Shao <(E-Mail Removed)>

>I got an integration middleware platform sitting on a Windows2003 box,
>running smoothly most of the time. But it has been down for a few
>times due to some reasons. I am wondering how can I write a piece of
>code to check whether this platform is up and running and send
>notification emails when it is down. In .NET, there is a class called
>"ServiceController", which can allows developer to connect to a
>running or stopped service, manipulate it, or get information about
>it. Dose Java have this equivalent API or capability to check up the
>platform status?

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/montastic.htm
or you could roll your own.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Allen Shao

Dear Roedy,

Thanks for reply.
This montastic doesn't work for me, because it is only able to monitor
website but not service level. What I want to monitor is a kind of
software platform working as a background windows service. That's why
I try to find some sorts of tools or widgets or API similar as .NET
"ServiceController" to tell the status of specific windows services.

BTW:Your site is quite interesting and useful.

Regards,
Allen

Roedy Green

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 05:36:26 -0000, Allen Shao <(E-Mail Removed)>

>This montastic doesn't work for me, because it is only able to monitor
>website but not service level.

Presumably you can monitor this with some GET, POST or UDP probes.
Cooking up "are you alive" checker is not that much work. Have a look
at http://mindprod.com/products1.html#SUBMITTER and
http://mindprod.com/products1.html#HTTP