Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camera in rain and is hosed - what do I do?

Camera in rain and is hosed - what do I do?

Allen

Ed Mullikin wrote:
> I don't know if this would work on a digital camera but I dumped my Pentax
> 35 mm film camera in a river by upsetting a canoe. I had access to a vacuum
> oven in a lab so I heated it to 130F and pulled a vacuum on it. It took
> care of the problem and I used my camera for years thereafter. The photos
> showed a little damage when developed. I might suggest trying a school's
> chem lab if you can get access to it.

I had a similar experience with my Canon FTbn. I was wading in a creek
(wearing what we used to call tennis shoes) when I kicked a submerged
rock, hard enough to break my big toe. Having other things on my mind, I
dropped the camera into the water and it got thoroughly soaked. I went
home, took the film out and put it in my kitchen oven at 180 degrees for
about a half hour. I continued using it for several more years, until
the EOS line came out. I don't know if a treatment like this would go
any good for a digital, but if the alternative is to discard it, it
would be worth a try. (I can't remember what happened to the film.)
Allen

Annika1980

On Sep 9, 3:52 pm, TommyC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am hoping that leaving the camera airing out will
> improve things.
>
> But if it doens't what do I do for the camera?
>
> It's a Pansonic Lumix FZ20.

Here is my suggestion for the wet Lumix. On the next hot day, drive
your car up on the freeway. Make sure there are no police around and
get up to speed (80-90mph works best) and hold the Lumix out of the
Window. Then let go.

[The tip about the police is so you won't be charged with littering.]

Melvin Schiefer

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:09:53 -0700, Annika1980 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sep 9, 3:52 pm, TommyC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am hoping that leaving the camera airing out will
>> improve things.
>>
>> But if it doens't what do I do for the camera?
>>
>> It's a Pansonic Lumix FZ20.

>Here is my suggestion for the wet Lumix. On the next hot day, drive
>your car up on the freeway. Make sure there are no police around and
>get up to speed (80-90mph works best) and hold the Lumix out of the
>Window. Then let go.
>
>[The tip about the police is so you won't be charged with littering.]

The Lumix line are a perfectly fine and admirable line of cameras. Many of the
first ones taking the photo community by storm for the amazing advancements they
made that nobody ever expected would be possible in such a compact camera. Your
comment betrays your false sense of superiority in your own cameras.

If after several days or more of drying time and his camera ends up working
perfectly I'm sure he'll look on you as the useless resident troll that the rest
of us already know you to be.

Yoshi

"TommyC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was dumb enough to be taking pictures in the rain today.
>
> Part way through, the electronic viewfinder got what looked like a TV
> test pattern, and then none of the buttons worked - only the on/off
> switch.
>
> I put the camera in a dry spot and took the battery out, and a couple
> hours later it seemed to work. I even took a picture with it.
>
> But then an hour after that, as I was putting it away, I tried it again.
> It turns on, and the EVF works tracking what the camera is aimed at.
> But the shutter release doesn't work, the menu doesn't work, and none of
> the buttons on the camera work. The only thing that works is the mode
> dial on the camera.
>
> Right now I have the battery recharging (odd, it was fully charged
> before, I took only a few pictures, and the battery seems to be taking a
> long charge). I am hoping that leaving the camera airing out will
> improve things.
>
> But if it doens't what do I do for the camera?
>
> It's a Pansonic Lumix FZ20.

Dont put it in an oven... that's idiotic advice. Put the camera, sans
batteries and card, into a closed airtight container with a dessicant like
silica gel for several days.

ASAAR

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:38:30 -0400, TommyC wrote:

> Actually, before I read your post, I had put the camera in the path of a
> hair dryer going on the cool setting. So it has a stream of dry air
> blowing over it, probably in the 90-110 degree range. After ten
> minutes, the camera felt warm but not hot.
>
> I know technical dolts and impatient fools can be a pain on usenet, but
> I hope you were kidding about the "don't deserve to have a camera" bit.
> I use that camera to shoot a lot of my kids sporting and scouting
> events, and it means a lot to me and to several dozen other parents.
> It's only a "thing," not a person, but that I broke it (likely) really
> has me feeling down.

Oh, you can be sure that "Do This" wasn't kidding, but you can
also be sure that despite appearances, *it* wasn't really trying to
help. It usually makes a game of insulting people. In any case,
"it" refers to any of the myriad sock puppets that are used to try
to keep people from recognizing "it"s identity. A list of some of
the previous identities used is appended at the end of this reply.
It's not foolproof since new sock puppets can be created quicker
than you can read this reply.

From your description of the temperature range the camera was
subjected to, it's unlikely to have damaged the camera, other than
perhaps any unseen *very* heat sensitive parts such as rubber, foam
rubber, glues, etc. Most electronic components can take quite a bit
of heat, especially resistors and silicon based semiconductors which
can withstand very high sustained temperatures approaching the
boiling point of water (over 200 deg. F.).

As far as the "clock coin cell" is concerned, your camera may not
have one. Some of Canon's small Powershot cameras use them and
others don't. The ones that do use them are so identified in the
camera's manuals, showing which coin cells need to be used as well
as where they're located. Cameras may use only a capacitor to keep
the clock running and to protect volatile memory while the battery
is replaced. This is a short term protection, usually giving you
only several minutes to replace the main battery(s). This is more
likely to be used with cameras that aren't specifically designed to
use rechargeable batteries. Other cameras use a small rechargeable
NiCd battery that's *not* replaceable. Soldered to an internal
circuit board in the camera, these often are able to keep the camera
clocks running, and volatile memory from being lost for a month or
more before they die, which can be a real pain if you need that to
happen to generate a true hardware reset, as opposed to a software
reset. But these do a good job of keeping the camera protected
while the camera's main battery is out of the camera in a battery
charger, and may not be put back into the camera for many hours, if
not days.

Let your FZ20 camera dry as best it can for at least several more
days. An alternative to hard to find dessicant bags would be to put
the camera into a large airtight glass jar along with lots of dry
rice. (That's "rice", not "ice". ) Rice is often added to other
products (salt, sugar, etc.) to keep it flowing freely because of
rice's ability to absorb moisture. And as promised, here's a
partial list of some of the identities previously used by our buddy
"Do This". Watch the replies that this message may attract. They
may be instructive. <g>

> **** CHDK / Photoline 32 / anti-DSLR Sock Puppet Troll List ****
>
> A.Neuman, Allan D., Baumbadier, BetterEditors, BigBrother, Bobbert,
> Brad M, BrokenP&S, Bucky, CharleiD, CoffeeTalk, CoolGuy,
> Craig Stevens, D. Farmington, Dartagnon, DaveB, Do This, DOCJohnson,
> D-Rexter, Danny V., EdBancroft, DSLRs SUCK!, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
> FeastForThought, Fed-Up-With-Corel, FixItMan, Franklin B.,
> FrankLM, Gaile S., GilfordBrimly, Glen Bankwood, GnomeAlaska,
> GoKiting, GreggAkin, GregoryH., Henry Hank, HatTrick, HokusPokus,
> IdiotDetector, IdiotsIdiotsEverywhere, ImpressMe, Jack Johnson, JoeBS,
> Lurk, John Kaiber, Les Danesworth, LoserSpotter, M. Goode,
> MoronDetector, Mr. Observant, NameHere, NameThere, New2_S3,
> (E-Mail Removed), NotaFreeBillboard, OptionsRus, OTPolice,
> RealityCheck, ReplyingToStupid, Rob Akins, RockyZ, SamanthaSpade,
> SayWhat, SelfImporantName, SelfImportantName, Siskel,
> Sigh...More Fools, SmartAdvice, SmartGuy, Soujourner, spamless,
> SpamAlert!, SpamDetector, Troll Detector, TryinToHelp, Wayne J.L.,
> WhileOutShopping..., WillyWonka, X-Man, Yeti, youmustbejoking
> and YourPsychologist.

Floyd L. Davidson

"Yoshi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dont put it in an oven... that's idiotic advice. Put the camera, sans
>batteries and card, into a closed airtight container with a dessicant like
>silica gel for several days.

I don't often post "Me too" responses, but this particular
comment is *really* *really* good advice.

Lots of dessicant, and *several* days.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) (E-Mail Removed)

Stephen James

"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

My my my! Looks like the resident troll is still adding names to that
list. I couldn't help but stop in to see the standing joke ASSAAR
actually doing this. Someone just sent me a pm to check out this
thread to see for myself.

He (or she?), ASSAAR, is so helpful you know. It doesn't even own a
camera. All it does is regurgitate what it's read online about
cameras. This time the foolish troll even restates exactly what was
said by someone giving you the original adivce. Usually the ASSAAR
troll grabs the info from other newsgroups or pages on the net and
then pretend that it thought of it all by itself! It's such a proud
resident troll when it does that. LOL!

Good thing that ASSAAR didn't run across advice telling you to take a
blowtorch to your camera, it would have told that to you too if it
read it in more than 2 places on the net

Well ASSAAR, my bet is placed on Jan. 18th 2008 for when you finally
add 1000 names to your list. Surely you can do better than this. I
count over 25 other people that posted from Easynews recently. The
ONLY reason that you think they are all the same person because every
one last one of them knows you're nothing but a scum sucking troll in
this newsgroup and told you so. That list isn't a testament to how
many people are sock-puppets, but how many of them have put you on
their killfilter as a useless ****ed-up troll that's just dying for
attention. What a nice collection of names you have there. Each and
every one of them telling you what a ****ed-up troll you are.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't believe that this was going on in this newsgroup when told
about it. I had to stop in to see this for myself. Never in my life
have I ever seen such a huge ****ing idiot and usenet joke before!

Remember ASSAAR, don't disappoint me!! I have $10 on the date for you
to add 1000 names to your list, names of people that knows you are a
useless usenet troll. Surely you can count more of them than that.

I certainly can! LOL!!

>> **** CHDK / Photoline 32 / anti-DSLR Sock Puppet Troll List ****
>>
>> A.Neuman, Allan D., Baumbadier, BetterEditors, BigBrother, Bobbert,
>> Brad M, BrokenP&S, Bucky, CharleiD, CoffeeTalk, CoolGuy,
>> Craig Stevens, D. Farmington, Dartagnon, DaveB, Do This,
>> DOCJohnson,
>> D-Rexter, Danny V., EdBancroft, DSLRs SUCK!, (E-Mail Removed),
>> FeastForThought, Fed-Up-With-Corel, FixItMan, Franklin B.,
>> FrankLM, Gaile S., GilfordBrimly, Glen Bankwood, GnomeAlaska,
>> GoKiting, GreggAkin, GregoryH., Henry Hank, HatTrick, HokusPokus,
>> IdiotDetector, IdiotsIdiotsEverywhere, ImpressMe, Jack Johnson,
>> JoeBS,
>> Lurk, John Kaiber, Les Danesworth, LoserSpotter, M. Goode,
>> MoronDetector, Mr. Observant, NameHere, NameThere, New2_S3,
>> (E-Mail Removed), NotaFreeBillboard, OptionsRus, OTPolice,
>> RealityCheck, ReplyingToStupid, Rob Akins, RockyZ, SamanthaSpade,
>> SayWhat, SelfImporantName, SelfImportantName, Siskel,
>> Sigh...More Fools, SmartAdvice, SmartGuy, Soujourner, spamless,
>> SpamAlert!, SpamDetector, Troll Detector, TryinToHelp, Wayne J.L.,
>> WhileOutShopping..., WillyWonka, X-Man, Yeti, youmustbejoking
>> and YourPsychologist.

JohnR66

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Sep 9, 3:52 pm, TommyC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am hoping that leaving the camera airing out will
>> improve things.
>>
>> But if it doens't what do I do for the camera?
>>
>> It's a Pansonic Lumix FZ20.

> Here is my suggestion for the wet Lumix. On the next hot day, drive
> your car up on the freeway. Make sure there are no police around and
> get up to speed (80-90mph works best) and hold the Lumix out of the
> Window. Then let go.
>
> [The tip about the police is so you won't be charged with littering.]

And I thought you'd only recommend doing that with a Nikon!

Annika1980

On Sep 9, 11:41 pm, Melvin Schiefer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The Lumix line are a perfectly fine and admirable line of cameras.

They are crap cameras that take crap pictures.

George Kerby

On 9/9/07 7:12 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed),
"Do This" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>>> permanently.
>>> It just needs to dry out thoroughly.

>> This pertains to the circumstances of the original post:
>>
>> The dry spot I used originally was an oven. I turned it on and let it
>> warm to 150 degrees (F), let it cool a bit from there, and then put the
>> camera in there, on a wooden paddle so the plastic camera wouldn't touch
>> the metal oven parts.
>>
>> I had it in for 20 minutes, then let it cool, with the battery and card
>> still removed and the door for those areas open. It cooled for probably
>> 90 minutes, I put the battery and memory card in, and took a picture.
>> At that time, the zoom toggle worked, the display window worked, and
>> obviously, the shutter release worked.
>>
>> Maybe an hour later, I was putting the camera away, and when I turned it
>> on at that time, only the EVF worked. The display window on the back of
>> the camera didn't work, nor did most of the buttons (turn off the camera
>> display, change the shutter speed etc., burst modes, menu, and the menu
>> controls, and of course the shutter release). The only things that
>> worked were the mode dial and the on/off button. Interestingly, if the
>> mode dial was set for preview, the camera display did work. But the
>> buttons used to move among pictures did not.
>>
>> ====================
>>
>> Since then, I left the camera with the battery/card door open and the
>> battery and card removed, for 2+ hours. The camera behaved exactly as
>> described above, mostly not working.
>>
>> I'm distressed, of course, but I'd be more bothered if the camera
>> outright didn't turn on, or if some of the things that work now weren't
>> working.
>>
>> Right now, the camera is getting another oven treatment. I'll do it for
>> an hour. I'd assume that, starting at 150 or so, the oven would be
>> basically room temperature an hour later.
>>
>> So I have three more questions:
>>
>> 1. How much more oven and air drying time is enough? I would assume
>> that at some point, we get to returns diminishing to zero for any
>> additional time.
>>
>> 2. Obviously, applying no electricity while there is moisture in the
>> camera is what I want to do (even though I've applied a LOT of
>> electricity by turning the camera on probably at least five times since
>> I got in trouble). But how do I test the camera again without applying
>> electricity?
>>
>> 3. How do I find and remove the clock coin cell? I cant' find it
>> referenced in the manual.

> Your impatience and drastic drying methods may have destroyed your camera. Do
> as
> I said and leave it alone for a few days to a week before attempting it again.
> And TAKE IT OUT OF THAT 150 F. OVEN! If you read that advice online someone
> was
> intentionally trying to get you to destroy your camera. If you thought of that
> on your own ... I don't think you deserve to have a camera.

Perhaps report him to People for the Ethical Treatment of Cameras (PETC) in
that case...