Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firefox Does Not Return to Starting Point After Visiting a Link on MSN.com

Firefox Does Not Return to Starting Point After Visiting a Link on MSN.com

Jack Gillis

Win XP SP2 and Firefox 2.0.0.6

When I visit a link in msn.com and use 'back', the page does not return to
where I left it but returns to the top of page. Is there a way to make FF
return to the original page location?

IE6 does return to where I left it.

Thank you.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jack Gillis wrote:

> Win XP SP2 and Firefox 2.0.0.6
>
> When I visit a link in msn.com and use 'back', the page does not
> return to where I left it but returns to the top of page. Is there a
> way to make FF return to the original page location?

Works for me. I went to the main page, scrolled down to a group of
sports stories, clicked a link, went to sports story, clicked Back
button, went back to main page still halfway down the page.

Now I have to scrub out all those cookies...

> IE6 does return to where I left it.

Sorry, I don't use that.

--
-bts

Aardvark

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 21:25:28 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Now I have to scrub out all those cookies...

I hope you manage to feel clean again.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

the other English teams put together

Vanguard

"Jack Gillis" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win XP SP2 and Firefox 2.0.0.6
>
> When I visit a link in msn.com and use 'back', the page does not
> return to
> where I left it but returns to the top of page. Is there a way to
> make FF
> return to the original page location?
>
> IE6 does return to where I left it.

Has to do with interstitial pages. There was more than just one page
that got you to the target page, so when you try to go backward then
that interstitial page is retrieved again which has a script to take
you back to the target page. Firefox is running something on the
interstitial page that IE does not. "A link" says absolutely nothing
about WHAT link you selected so no one can replicate what happened to
you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstitial_webpage

Microsoft loves interstitial pages. When logging into Hotmail, you
run through them.

Jack Gillis

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "Jack Gillis" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Win XP SP2 and Firefox 2.0.0.6
>>
>> When I visit a link in msn.com and use 'back', the page does not return
>> where I left it but returns to the top of page. Is there a way to make
>> FF
>> return to the original page location?
>>
>> IE6 does return to where I left it.

> Has to do with interstitial pages. There was more than just one page that
> got you to the target page, so when you try to go backward then that
> interstitial page is retrieved again which has a script to take you back
> to the target page. Firefox is running something on the interstitial page
> that IE does not. "A link" says absolutely nothing about WHAT link you
> selected so no one can replicate what happened to you.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstitial_webpage
>
> Microsoft loves interstitial pages. When logging into Hotmail, you run
> through them.

Thank you. I'm not sure what I can do about that. It does make me wonder
why, according to another reply, MSN.com behaves 'normally' when returning
from a link on his machine.

Thanks again.

Vanguard

"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> "Jack Gillis" wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Win XP SP2 and Firefox 2.0.0.6
>>>
>>> When I visit a link in msn.com and use 'back', the page does not
>>> return to
>>> where I left it but returns to the top of page. Is there a way to
>>> make FF
>>> return to the original page location?
>>>
>>> IE6 does return to where I left it.

>> Has to do with interstitial pages. There was more than just one
>> page that got you to the target page, so when you try to go
>> backward then that interstitial page is retrieved again which has a
>> script to take you back to the target page. Firefox is running
>> something on the interstitial page that IE does not. "A link" says
>> absolutely nothing about WHAT link you selected so no one can
>> replicate what happened to you.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstitial_webpage
>>
>> Microsoft loves interstitial pages. When logging into Hotmail, you
>> run through them.
>>

> Thank you. I'm not sure what I can do about that. It does make me
> wonder why, according to another reply, MSN.com behaves 'normally'
> when returning from a link on his machine.

If the Back toolbar button does not work, use the history to navigate
back to the source page.

MEG

On Sep 9, 7:03 pm, "Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>

> > "Jack Gillis" wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Win XP SP2 and Firefox 2.0.0.6

> >> When I visit a link in msn.com and use 'back', the page does not return
> >> where I left it but returns to the top of page. Is there a way to make
> >> FF
> >> return to the original page location?

> >> IE6 does return to where I left it.

> > Has to do with interstitial pages. There was more than just one page that
> > got you to the target page, so when you try to go backward then that
> > interstitial page is retrieved again which has a script to take you back
> > to the target page. Firefox is running something on the interstitial page
> > that IE does not. "A link" says absolutely nothing about WHAT link you
> > selected so no one can replicate what happened to you.

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstitial_webpage

> > Microsoft loves interstitial pages. When logging into Hotmail, you run
> > through them.

> Thank you. I'm not sure what I can do about that. It does make me wonder
> why, according to another reply, MSN.com behaves 'normally' when returning
> from a link on his machine.
>
> Thanks again.

I've had trouble on the MSN site. I know for a fact it won't let me
down load certain things if I'm using FF. I don't think it is the
browser, the problem is it is an MSN site and you have the gall to
visit it with something other than their browser. Bend over & grease
up, send Bill a hundred bucks (the poor guy really needs it) and he
will 'allow' you to visit his site.

Jack Gillis

"MEG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Sep 9, 7:03 pm, "Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>

>> > "Jack Gillis" wrote in
>> > messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Has to do with interstitial pages. There was more than just one page
>> > that
>> > got you to the target page, so when you try to go backward then that
>> > interstitial page is retrieved again which has a script to take you
>> > back
>> > to the target page. Firefox is running something on the interstitial
>> > page
>> > that IE does not. "A link" says absolutely nothing about WHAT link you
>> > selected so no one can replicate what happened to you.

>> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstitial_webpage

>> > Microsoft loves interstitial pages. When logging into Hotmail, you run
>> > through them.

>> Thank you. I'm not sure what I can do about that. It does make me
>> wonder
>> why, according to another reply, MSN.com behaves 'normally' when
>> returning
>> from a link on his machine.
>>
>> Thanks again.

> I've had trouble on the MSN site. I know for a fact it won't let me
> down load certain things if I'm using FF. I don't think it is the
> browser, the problem is it is an MSN site and you have the gall to
> visit it with something other than their browser. Bend over & grease
> up, send Bill a hundred bucks (the poor guy really needs it) and he
> will 'allow' you to visit his site.

I suspect you are right but I found another page (www.wrl.org) that exhibits
the same thing when I visit the catalog link and examine a particular title.
Go figure!

Top

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Now I have to scrub out all those cookies...
>
>> IE6 does return to where I left it.

> Sorry, I don't use that.

You should never be sorry for not using "IE any version"

Top