Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Slow Boot?

Slow Boot?

Chris Jahn

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Anthony Martinez ) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> My computer was infected with a virus. I removed it with
> anti-spyware software. Now my computer icons takes forever to
> populate the screen. Sometimes I wonder if the icons are going
> to appear at all when I reboot. How can I speed up the
> population of my sceen icons? My computer was infected the
> Trojan.W32.Looksky virus.

Time to do some housekeeping; do a scandisk, then defragment your
harddrive.

--
Mozilla & Netscape FAQs: http://www.ufaq.org/
Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird/Seamonkey solutions: http://ilias.ca/

Are you still here? The message is over. Shoo! Go away!

Buffalo

"Anthony Martinez " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My computer was infected with a virus. I removed it with anti-spyware
> software. Now my computer icons takes forever to populate the screen.
> Sometimes I wonder if the icons are going to appear at all when I
> reboot. How can I speed up the population of my sceen icons? My
> computer was infected the Trojan.W32.Looksky virus.

What OS, 98?2000?XP?Vista?

Anthony Martinez

My computer was infected with a virus. I removed it with anti-spyware
software. Now my computer icons takes forever to populate the screen.
Sometimes I wonder if the icons are going to appear at all when I
reboot. How can I speed up the population of my sceen icons? My
computer was infected the Trojan.W32.Looksky virus.

Buffalo

"Anthony Martinez " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:57:37 -0600, "Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"Anthony Martinez " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> My computer was infected with a virus. I removed it with anti-spyware
> >> software. Now my computer icons takes forever to populate the screen.
> >> Sometimes I wonder if the icons are going to appear at all when I
> >> reboot. How can I speed up the population of my sceen icons? My
> >> computer was infected the Trojan.W32.Looksky virus.

> >What OS, 98?2000?XP?Vista?

> 2000 Professional..

Try deleting your "shelliconcache" located at (C:\Winnit\shelliconcache)
and reboot. Upon reboot, it will be rebuilt.
This will at least eliminate the problem of a corrupted 'ShellIconCache' .
A decent 'free' program to try is 'SuperAntiSpyware' for malware
problems.
Download the free version, install it, update it and then run it in
'Complete' scan mode.
Gotta run.
Hopefully someone else will help if your problem continues.

Anthony Martinez

wrote:

>"Anthony Martinez " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My computer was infected with a virus. I removed it with anti-spyware
>> software. Now my computer icons takes forever to populate the screen.
>> Sometimes I wonder if the icons are going to appear at all when I
>> reboot. How can I speed up the population of my sceen icons? My
>> computer was infected the Trojan.W32.Looksky virus.

>What OS, 98?2000?XP?Vista?

2000 Professional..

ProfGene

Anthony Martinez wrote:
> My computer was infected with a virus. I removed it with anti-spyware
> software. Now my computer icons takes forever to populate the screen.
> Sometimes I wonder if the icons are going to appear at all when I
> reboot. How can I speed up the population of my sceen icons? My
> computer was infected the Trojan.W32.Looksky virus.

Run msconfig and see what your computer loads on boot and remove all
essential programs. Run an anti-spyware program, delete cookies and
files and history. Defrag the hard disk.