Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Fields

Fields

=?Utf-8?B?Qk5TNg==?=

I constructed a database with seven fields; one particular field called
"description" allows 255 characters to be typed and displayed. However, after
saving the record or going to a previous filed, the "description" field
containing the latest information will lose some words-even a complete
sentence will disappear sometimes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

BNS6

Cerebrus

On Sep 9, 4:46 am, BNS6 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I constructed a database with seven fields; one particular field called
> "description" allows 255 characters to be typed and displayed. However, after
> saving the record or going to a previous filed, the "description" field
> containing the latest information will lose some words-even a complete
> sentence will disappear sometimes.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> BNS6

Disappear ? Is it because the field size is too small for the data
entered ? In that case, you can use a Memo field.

Robert Williams [CertGuard]

"Cerebrus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Sep 9, 4:46 am, BNS6 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I constructed a database with seven fields; one particular field called
>> "description" allows 255 characters to be typed and displayed. However, after
>> saving the record or going to a previous filed, the "description" field
>> containing the latest information will lose some words-even a complete
>> sentence will disappear sometimes.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> BNS6

> Disappear ? Is it because the field size is too small for the data
> entered ? In that case, you can use a Memo field.

That's what I thought at first, but doesn't the user get an error if the data
doesn't fit? I've never just seen it truncate the data, unless there is a data
conversion being made with improper data in the records.

I have a feeling the user may be viewing the physical cell and the cell is not
expanded to show the full contents. It's not that the data is disappearing, it's
just being hidden by the size of the cell.

If that's the case, no worries, the data is still there. If you want to see the
entire contents of the cell, mouseover the field name, move your mouse to the
right edge of that field name until you see the little 'sizing arrows' then
double click.

--
CertGuard