Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Encapsulation problem

Encapsulation problem

Tricon7 Tricon7 is offline
Junior Member

I should be able to create a sub-interface on the router and give it an encapsulation type, like dot1q or isl. But after I've created the sub-interface, there are no encapsulation options. I even typed a "?" at the prompt, and "encapsulation" didn't appear. I'm reading right out of Cisco's book right now, and I know that sequence and procedure is right, so I'm puzzled as to why it won't accept it. And if I try and assign an IP address to a sub-interface, I get the message:

Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10 or ISL vLAN.

Suggestions?