Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Genuine (dis(Advantage?

Windows Genuine (dis(Advantage?

sammy

Hi,

What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message or
email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I think it
said the installation was "critical."

I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
tremendously.

Could there be a connection?

What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump it?
(And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a straightforward
uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do they? Bet you have to
dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure made it easy to install
it though, didn't they?

Thanks,

Sammy

ded

"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
news:46e31c0f$0$16532$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message
> or email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I
> think it said the installation was "critical."
>
> I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
> it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
> tremendously.
>
> Could there be a connection?
>
> What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump
> it? (And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a
> straightforward uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do
> they? Bet you have to dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure
> made it easy to install it though, didn't they?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sammy

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/9860

The slow running of your PC could be due to any number of factors,
but it's doubtful to be WGA is the cause.

Mr. Arnold

"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
news:46e31c0f$0$16532$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message
> or email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I
> think it said the installation was "critical."

It verifies that you're running a legal copy of the Windows O/S like Windows
XP. And MS will NOT be sending you anything in an email concerning this.

> I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
> it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
> tremendously.

It doesn't slow down you computer. It will stop you from getting Windows
Updates if you have been verified that you don't have a legal copy of the
O/S.

> Could there be a connection?
>
> What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump
> it? (And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a
> straightforward uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do
> they? Bet you have to dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure
> made it easy to install it though, didn't they?

See above.

Top

sammy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message or
> email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I think it
> said the installation was "critical."
>
> I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
> it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
> tremendously.
>
> Could there be a connection?
>
> What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump it?
> (And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a straightforward
> uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do they? Bet you have to
> dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure made it easy to install
> it though, didn't they?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sammy

Maybe uninstall update would be easier?

Top

--
Signature file not found

Edward W. Thompson

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 18:02:44 -0400, "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message or
>email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I think it
>said the installation was "critical."
>
>I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
>it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
>tremendously.
>
>Could there be a connection?
>
>What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump it?
>(And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a straightforward
>uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do they? Bet you have to
>dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure made it easy to install
>it though, didn't they?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sammy

If you loaded a program based upon an email from Microsoft or any
other 'message' from Microsoft then the program is a fake and may well
be the cause of problems with your machine.

The WGA program is, as far as I know, not active until you try to
download from the MS update site when it is used to check the
authenticity of your WINXP.

who'sthat

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 18:02:44 -0400, "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message or
>email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I think it
>said the installation was "critical."
>
>I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
>it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
>tremendously.
>
>Could there be a connection?
>
>What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump it?
>(And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a straightforward
>uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do they? Bet you have to
>dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure made it easy to install
>it though, didn't they?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sammy

Why would you install something when you have no idea what it is?

why?

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 18:02:44 -0400, sammy wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message or

Not a great start, here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage

>email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I think it

MS don't send out emails about upgrades, critical patches, spammers do.

You may subscribe to the security notification list but have to know the
difference.

>said the installation was "critical."
>
>I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think

Yes.

>it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
>tremendously.

Doesn't help not every combination of system can be testes and valid
updated (security) do have problems sometimes.

>Could there be a connection?

Depends if it was a MS notice or not.

>What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump it?

See URL above, and
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...tage_aug_2007/
Windows Genuine Advantage cries wolf (again)
Aargh! Server outage turns customers into pirates
By Austin Modine in Mountain View ? More by this author
Published Monday 27th August 2007 22:01 GMT

www.google.com , search for disable wga

>uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do they? Bet you have to
>dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure made it easy to install
>it though, didn't they?

You won't then get access to updates / patches as easily.

>Thanks,
>
>Sammy

Me

sammy

"who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 18:02:44 -0400, "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message
>>or
>>email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I think
>>it
>>said the installation was "critical."
>>
>>I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
>>it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
>>tremendously.
>>
>>Could there be a connection?
>>
>>What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump
>>it?
>>(And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a
>>straightforward
>>uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do they? Bet you have
>>dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure made it easy to
>>install
>>it though, didn't they?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Sammy

> Why would you install something when you have no idea what it is?

because i wanted the thrill of your helpful reply.