Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > why use getters/setters?

why use getters/setters?

Patrick May

"M. Ranganathan (NIST)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Sep 8, 9:10 pm, Patrick May <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "buu" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> > can anyone tell me or give me some link?

>> > I'm newbie in java, and get used to work in .net, and getters/setters
>> > confuse me a little bit.

>> Getters and setters are simply a way to control and monitor
>> access to the internal state of an object. They tend to be overused
>> by many Java programmers. I recommend that you read Joshua Bloch's
>> "Effective Java" and take his advice to prefer immutable objects
>> wherever possible.

> Another use case for getters and setters:
>
> Following the get/set pattern allows tools to use introspection to
> generate code to get/set properties.

[ Please don't top post. ]

Relying on a convention to achieve appropriate results from
introspection is unreliable and unnecessary. The introspection
mechanism can look at the member variables and constructors without
those clues.

The problem with making accessors and mutators available for
introspection is that they are then also available, and will be used
by, other programmers.

Regards,

Patrick

S P Engineering, Inc. | Large scale, mission-critical, distributed OO
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | (C++, Java, Common Lisp, Jini, middleware, SOA)