Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Can't make a DUN

Can't make a DUN

Bill and Margie

I have the Dell, Millinium 2 (M2) puter and can't make a connection to
my provider (MSN) Evidently there is one of my programs running that
prevents the connection. Does anyone know how I can find out which
program it refers too? (so I can delete it) Thanks.
Bill

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind
of battle"
...author unknown

Brian

I'm not familiar with that computer but it sounds like you have a firewall
issue possibly. Do you use any type of Internet security program that may
need to be configured to allow MSN access to the internet?
Norton/Symantec is the most common that Dell uses but there are others out
there. You would probably know if you installed one

Here is the link to check Symantec firewall settings

http://service1.symantec.com/Support...eg=hho&src=hot

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 8 Sep, 15:35, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill and Margie) wrote:
> I have the Dell, Millinium 2 (M2) puter and can't make a connection to
> my provider (MSN) Evidently there is one of my programs running that
> prevents the connection. Does anyone know how I can find out which
> program it refers too? (so I can delete it) Thanks.
> Bill
>
> THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
> "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind
> of battle"
> ..author unknown

pretending that your analysis (where you haven't given any facts
that'd lead to it), is correct.

windows safe mode.

Anyhow, putting aside the assumption that your "analysis" is correct.
DUN is dial-up networking. Not broadband.
If you set up the thing to dial and you can't connect then call MSN
and ask them if there's a problem. It could be a bad number or bad
user/pass or problem at the MSN end. In UK we can try alternatives we
don't pay monthly for dial up.

Paul

Bill and Margie wrote:
> I have the Dell, Millinium 2 (M2) puter and can't make a connection to
> my provider (MSN) Evidently there is one of my programs running that
> prevents the connection. Does anyone know how I can find out which
> program it refers too? (so I can delete it) Thanks.
> Bill
>

> THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
> "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind
> of battle"
> ..author unknown

Someone had a question like this a couple days ago. I went to Sysinternals.com
(now owned by Microsoft), and found a program there called "handle". When
a program holds a handle to a resource, that program can list it. "Handle"
is the DOS version, while there is a more complicated program that provides
a GUI version. I like the DOS version, because it is pretty simple.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ds/Handle.mspx

Unzip the download into a folder, say C:\handle

Now, open a Command Prompt window (on my Win2K machine, that would be
Startrograms:Accessories:Command_Prompt, a DOS window). You can use "cd .."
command to move up the file directory a level. Keep using the command until
the directory shown on the command prompt line is "C:" . Then use
the command "cd handle" to traverse down to the handle folder you
made. You should now be in the folder "C:\handle".

Now, you should be able to execute the "handle" program. You can use
"handle -a" to list everything. That will take 30 seconds to complete, and
the screen will scroll like crazy. You can use "handle -a >out.txt" to
dump the same screen output into a text file called out.txt (the file will be
in the current working directory, which is C:\handle ). Finally, you can
apply a filter in the program itself, by using "handle -a serial >out.txt".
That is what I did to collect the following output.

Handle v3.2
Copyright (C) 1997-2006 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

System pid: 8 B4: HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Serial
hypertrm.exe pid: 1904 DC: HKLM\HARDWARE\devicemap\serialcomm
hypertrm.exe pid: 1904 100: HKLM\HARDWARE\devicemap\serialcomm
hypertrm.exe pid: 1904 108: \Device\Serial0

OK, so what did I capture here ? Well, my machine has only one COM port. I used a
program called HyperTerminal, which is included with Win2K. It is a third party
program, bundled by Microsoft. It provides an 80x24 terminal window, and it used
for dialing up to bulletin boards and the like. It talks to a COM port, where a
modem might be installed for talking to the bulletin board.

When you start the HyperTerminal program, it wants to make a new connection, similar
to DUN. First you name the new connection - I called mine "New". It then prompts
for baud rate, stop bits and the like. For the purposes of this exercise, none of
the details are important.

Once all the crap has been filled out for the New connection, Hyperterminal thinks
it is connected. Hyperterminal has "grabbed" the serial port, even though on my
computer right now, nothing is connected to the port physically. I did all this,
so I would have something to use as a test case for the Handle program.

Notice the last line in the collected trace. It makes reference to "\Device\Serial0"
and that is a reference to a hardware device as a file path. Serial0 is the same
thing as COM1. Apparently COM1 numbering is user friendly, while Serial0 is computer
friendly.

So based on the output of the "Handle" program, I can tell that HyperTerminal
is currently using the serial port. Does the program work with WInModems,
USB Modems, etc ? I don't know and cannot test that. My guess would be,
that certain other hardware solutions, create virtual COM ports, and I would
hope they'd be numbered like "\Device\Serial9". Virtual COM ports tend to be
given COM numbers greater than COM4.

Hope that gives you something to try. Fire up "Handle" and see.

Paul

Q. re ADSL and DUN Jimmy Dean Wireless Networking 3 03-10-2005 11:02 AM
W2K DUN Authentication Groper Cisco 0 11-07-2003 05:25 PM
DUN/RAS....NETWORK ADAPTER Tim.... Pleading for help Microsoft Certification 0 10-26-2003 11:59 AM
DUN/RAS....NETWORK ADAPTER Tim Pleading For HELP Microsoft Certification 0 10-26-2003 11:54 AM
DUN just quits Andy Computer Support 2 09-04-2003 10:20 PM

Advertisments