Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > how to connect two routers

Reply
Thread Tools

how to connect two routers

 
 
peter ingelse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2007
I want to set up a wireless network with four computers and a printer with
printserver. I have two modem/routers (Speedtouch 780 and Air Ties RT-210).
I would like to use the Speedtouch 780 as the mode/router for connection
with internet. Three of the other computers can connect wireless with the
Speedtouch 780, but the third can't because of the distance. To increase the
distance capacity, would it be possible to use the Air Ties router/modem as
a kind of wireless access point to which I can connect this computer and
also the printserver? How to configure the Air Ties?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Ingelse

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2007
"peter ingelse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to set up a wireless network with four computers and a printer with
>printserver. I have two modem/routers (Speedtouch 780 and Air Ties RT-210).
>I would like to use the Speedtouch 780 as the mode/router for connection
>with internet. Three of the other computers can connect wireless with the
>Speedtouch 780, but the third can't because of the distance. To increase
>the distance capacity, would it be possible to use the Air Ties
>router/modem as a kind of wireless access point to which I can connect this
>computer and also the printserver? How to configure the Air Ties?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Peter Ingelse
>



Look in the User manual - you should be able to set the Router as a
bridge....


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
peter ingelse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2007
Thank you.

Which one should I set up as a brige, the Speedtouch (the one that is
connected to ADSL internet) or the Airties (the one I want to use as an
extra acces point)? And do I have tochange the settings of the other one in
any way?

Thanks again,

Peter


"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "peter ingelse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I want to set up a wireless network with four computers and a printer with
>>printserver. I have two modem/routers (Speedtouch 780 and Air Ties
>>RT-210). I would like to use the Speedtouch 780 as the mode/router for
>>connection with internet. Three of the other computers can connect
>>wireless with the Speedtouch 780, but the third can't because of the
>>distance. To increase the distance capacity, would it be possible to use
>>the Air Ties router/modem as a kind of wireless access point to which I
>>can connect this computer and also the printserver? How to configure the
>>Air Ties?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Peter Ingelse
>>

>
>
> Look in the User manual - you should be able to set the Router as a
> bridge....
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2007
"peter ingelse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you.
>
> Which one should I set up as a brige, the Speedtouch (the one that is
> connected to ADSL internet) or the Airties (the one I want to use as an
> extra acces point)? And do I have tochange the settings of the other one
> in any way?
>


I would suggest the Airties.....unless the manual tells you you can't. Is
the Speedtouch actually a Router or is it an ADSL Modem?


 
Reply With Quote
 
peter ingelse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2007
The Speedtouch is a combined ADSL Modem/Router. Can I leave the settings of
the Speedtouch unchanged?

I changed the settings of the Air Ties: the ATM PVC VC1 on 1483 Bridging,
but it did not help. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Peter

"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O4%23$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "peter ingelse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Which one should I set up as a brige, the Speedtouch (the one that is
>> connected to ADSL internet) or the Airties (the one I want to use as an
>> extra acces point)? And do I have tochange the settings of the other one
>> in any way?
>>

>
> I would suggest the Airties.....unless the manual tells you you can't. Is
> the Speedtouch actually a Router or is it an ADSL Modem?
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2007
Hi



If the ISP authentication (PW and ID) is done through the Speedtooch, you
should leave the Speedtouch as is and use the Wireless Router as an Access
Point.

Here is how you configure it.

Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Otherwise if the Speedtocuh can be turned into a tramsparent modem disabling
the Router part, the Wireless Router can be used in its Wireless Router
configuration.

Jack (MVP-Networking).



"peter ingelse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to set up a wireless network with four computers and a printer with
>printserver. I have two modem/routers (Speedtouch 780 and Air Ties RT-210).
>I would like to use the Speedtouch 780 as the mode/router for connection
>with internet. Three of the other computers can connect wireless with the
>Speedtouch 780, but the third can't because of the distance. To increase
>the distance capacity, would it be possible to use the Air Ties
>router/modem as a kind of wireless access point to which I can connect this
>computer and also the printserver? How to configure the Air Ties?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Peter Ingelse
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ronald Nissley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2007
"peter ingelse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Speedtouch is a combined ADSL Modem/Router. Can I leave the settings
> of the Speedtouch unchanged?
>
> I changed the settings of the Air Ties: the ATM PVC VC1 on 1483 Bridging,
> but it did not help. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter
>


Peter,

I think you want to configure bridging on the device closest to the
Internet--in your case, the SpeedTouch. Assuming that your DSL provider uses
PPPoE, your AirTies device then becomes the PPPoE end-point.

Hope that's helpful,

Ronald Nissley

 
Reply With Quote
 
peter ingelse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2007
No my DSL provider uses PPPoA instead of PPPoE. Makes that any difference?

Thanks,

Peter


"Ronald Nissley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E9EEi.545$282.329@trnddc01...
> "peter ingelse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The Speedtouch is a combined ADSL Modem/Router. Can I leave the settings
>> of the Speedtouch unchanged?
>>
>> I changed the settings of the Air Ties: the ATM PVC VC1 on 1483 Bridging,
>> but it did not help. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Peter
>>

>
> Peter,
>
> I think you want to configure bridging on the device closest to the
> Internet--in your case, the SpeedTouch. Assuming that your DSL provider
> uses PPPoE, your AirTies device then becomes the PPPoE end-point.
>
> Hope that's helpful,
>
> Ronald Nissley


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ronald Nissley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2007
"peter ingelse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No my DSL provider uses PPPoA instead of PPPoE. Makes that any difference?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter


Peter,

Yes, your AirTies RT-210 will be a PPPoA endpoint and needs to be configured
as such. Select PPPoA as your WAN connection type and enter your ISP account
user name and password.

HTH,

Ron

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
How to configure two routers with two ISPs and PIX 515 with failover with BGP? ashaffer@tranztec.com Cisco 5 07-28-2008 07:06 AM
Connect 2 routers (wireless and regular routers) Dineyar Buhariwala Wireless Networking 1 11-24-2004 01:37 PM
Two ISP -Two Routers - 1 PIX James Parks Cisco 5 12-11-2003 08:55 PM
Connect two routers via 10baset ports ? J Bard Cisco 6 12-09-2003 06:14 PM



Advertisments