Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Is there a test suite for C ?

Is there a test suite for C ?

Spiros Bousbouras

Is there a suite to verify that a C compiler understands the
language correctly and produces correct code ? If not why
not ? There is such a suite (not associated with any specific
implementation) for Common Lisp which is a bigger language
so why not C ?

Guy Macon

Spiros Bousbouras wrote:

>Is there a suite to verify that a C compiler understands the
>language correctly and produces correct code ? If not why
>not ? There is such a suite (not associated with any specific
>implementation) for Common Lisp which is a bigger language
>so why not C ?

If only there was some sort of web site where you could type in
[ C test suite ] or [ C++ tst suite ] and have it search the web
for you. Wouldn't that be great? I bet you could make a lot of
money doing that. you could call it a "search engine" or
"searching robot."

Alas, no such web site exists, so we all have to post our
questions in Usenet newsgroups.

user923005

On Sep 7, 7:54 am, Spiros Bousbouras <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there a suite to verify that a C compiler understands the
> language correctly and produces correct code ? If not why
> not ? There is such a suite (not associated with any specific
> implementation) for Common Lisp which is a bigger language
> so why not C ?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=C+validation+suite

Spiros Bousbouras

On Sep 7, 7:56 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/> wrote:
> Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> >Is there a suite to verify that a C compiler understands the
> >language correctly and produces correct code ? If not why
> >not ? There is such a suite (not associated with any specific
> >implementation) for Common Lisp which is a bigger language
> >so why not C ?

> If only there was some sort of web site where you could type in
> [ C test suite ] or [ C++ tst suite ] and have it search the web
> for you. Wouldn't that be great? I bet you could make a lot of
> money doing that. you could call it a "search engine" or
> "searching robot."

I was looking for informed comments on what exists,
the special difficulties C language presents in creating
one and any other comments whose content I couldn't
predict by the knowledgeable people here. That's a lot
more than what I could get from a list produced by a
search engine. But I admit that I was under the impression
that none exists and that influenced my posting here.

> Alas, no such web site exists, so we all have to post our
> questions in Usenet newsgroups.

Not to mention sarcastic comments.

user923005

On Sep 10, 9:49 am, Spiros Bousbouras <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 7, 7:56 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/> wrote:
>
> > Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> > >Is there a suite to verify that a C compiler understands the
> > >language correctly and produces correct code ? If not why
> > >not ? There is such a suite (not associated with any specific
> > >implementation) for Common Lisp which is a bigger language
> > >so why not C ?

> > If only there was some sort of web site where you could type in
> > [ C test suite ] or [ C++ tst suite ] and have it search the web
> > for you. Wouldn't that be great? I bet you could make a lot of
> > money doing that. you could call it a "search engine" or
> > "searching robot."

> I was looking for informed comments on what exists,
> the special difficulties C language presents in creating
> one and any other comments whose content I couldn't
> predict by the knowledgeable people here. That's a lot
> more than what I could get from a list produced by a
> search engine. But I admit that I was under the impression
> that none exists and that influenced my posting here.
>

> > Alas, no such web site exists, so we all have to post our
> > questions in Usenet newsgroups.

> Not to mention sarcastic comments.

The GCC compiler comes with a nice regression suite.
I suggest to start with that, and then buy a commercial one if it does
not suit your needs.