Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > System icons on windows

System icons on windows

Nuno

Hello,

There is any way of retrieving from the system the icons associated to
the windows explorer files? Example .rar extension has a nice book
icon, how to retrieve this icon and use it on my application or any
other file?

Nuno

kcwong

On Sep 7, 5:02 pm, Nuno <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is any way of retrieving from the system the icons associated to
> the windows explorer files? Example .rar extension has a nice book
> icon, how to retrieve this icon and use it on my application or any
> other file?
>
> Nuno

Google for icon extractors, or resource extractors... there're many
free ones.

If you have Visual Studio, you can open DLL or EXE file as Resource.
Then you can save the icons to image files.

Hunter Gratzner

On Sep 7, 11:02 am, Nuno <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> There is any way of retrieving from the system the icons associated to
> the windows explorer files?

Yes, but icons are typically copyrighted material.

> how to retrieve this icon and use it on my application

It is not a very bright idea to announce an intended copyright
violation pin public.

Real Gagnon

> There is any way of retrieving from the system the icons associated to
> the windows explorer files? Example .rar extension has a nice book
> icon, how to retrieve this icon and use it on my application or any
> other file?

"Display icon associated with an executable"
http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0439.html

Bye.
--
Real Gagnon from Quebec, Canada
* Java, Javascript, VBScript and PowerBuilder code snippets

Nuno

On 7 Set, 12:23, Real Gagnon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > There is any way of retrieving from the system the icons associated to
> > the windows explorer files? Example .rar extension has a nice book
> > icon, how to retrieve this icon and use it on my application or any
> > other file?

> "Display icon associated with an executable"http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0439.html
>
> Bye.
> --
> Real Gagnon from Quebec, Canada
> * Java, Javascript, VBScript and PowerBuilder code snippets
> *http://www.rgagnon.com/howto.html
> *http://www.rgagnon.com/bigindex.html

Ok this will work just fine

Program program = Program.findProgram(extension);
ImageData imageData = (program == null ? null :
program.getImageData());
if (imageData != null) {
image = new Image(Display.getCurrent(), imageData);

But now i need to get the default images for the folders, open and
close folders, and for the default file. any one knows how to do it?

Nuno

Nuno

Christian

Nuno schrieb:
> On 7 Set, 12:23, Real Gagnon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> There is any way of retrieving from the system the icons associated to
>>> the windows explorer files? Example .rar extension has a nice book
>>> icon, how to retrieve this icon and use it on my application or any
>>> other file?

>> "Display icon associated with an executable"http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0439.html
>>
>> Bye.
>> --
>> Real Gagnon from Quebec, Canada
>> * Java, Javascript, VBScript and PowerBuilder code snippets
>> *http://www.rgagnon.com/howto.html
>> *http://www.rgagnon.com/bigindex.html

> Ok this will work just fine
>
> Program program = Program.findProgram(extension);
> ImageData imageData = (program == null ? null :
> program.getImageData());
> if (imageData != null) {
> image = new Image(Display.getCurrent(), imageData);
>
> But now i need to get the default images for the folders, open and
> close folders, and for the default file. any one knows how to do it?
>
> Nuno
>

> Nuno

Though SWT program class doesn't work too well either.
I don't get allways the correct image for some file.
For default file and folders I am using usually icons that are under
LGPL ... these should fit with most licenses ..

nebulous99@gmail.com

On Sep 7, 5:53 am, Hunter Gratzner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It is not a very bright idea to announce an intended copyright
> violation pin public.

On Usenet, being a netkkkop is frowned upon more.

Hunter Gratzner

On Sep 8, 3:47 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Usenet, being a netkkkop is frowned upon more.

Paul, go away.

nebulous99@gmail.com

On Sep 8, 4:48 am, Hunter Gratzner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 8, 3:47 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > On Usenet, being a netkkkop is frowned upon more.

> Paul, go away.

This response is rather odd, since it seems to have nothing to do with
the post it follows up to. Who is Paul? That name isn't anywhere else
in this thread, so I can't begin to guess who you're referring to...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

> On Sep 8, 4:48 am, Hunter Gratzner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sep 8, 3:47 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> On Usenet, being a netkkkop is frowned upon more.

>> Paul, go away.

> This response is rather odd, since it seems to have nothing to do with
> the post it follows up to. Who is Paul? That name isn't anywhere else
> in this thread, so I can't begin to guess who you're referring to...

You don't have to guess - you just need to remember some
relative recent threads where you were presented for various
peoples reasons to believe that you are Paul Derbyshire.

You deny that it is true, but it seems rather silly to
deny knowing why people think so.

Arne