Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > upload problem/possible virus

upload problem/possible virus

dice

Hello,
I use Windows Xp Sp2 OS, I have a problem where I am unable to upload
files and have run out of any more ideas to try and would really
appreciate your help.
My connection is 2Mbits downstream and 256kb upstream.
What happens is the connection for download is working correctly .
Browinsing appear a lot slower than normal.
The connection for uploading is either zero kb or it begins at 20kb
and goes 20kb, 14kb, 8kb, 2kb 1kb then zero kb (type of thing the
exact kb does vary but the top numebr is always 20kb) , all within the
matter of 3-6 seconds , I cannot upload small files such as a 34kb
jpeg or larger files such as 7MB ,12MB or 33MB files.
I have tried uploading to usenet, using pecks powerpost, also to http
using megaupload,speedyshare,tinypic.
I have also tried uploading to 3 ftp servers, all have been verified
working.The isp one was verified by the technician whilst here.
My isp sent a technician out to test the line and modem he said it is
working correctly and the modem is working correctly and the problem
is sometihng on my computer , he give me a new modem to try and it
didnt alter things but since he had opened it and registered it he
said to continue to use it.
The technican from the isp wont check on your pc only the cable line
and modem.
I have used the new connecting cable he gave me form the cable modem
to the nic card in the pc and this has made no difference either.

I have also visited the NIC card manufacturers website and downloaded
an auto uninstal and instal of the latest driver for the card , which
is a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. This made no
difference either.

I use the isp (Virginmedia) antivirus and firewall wihich is made by
"radial Point".
The antivirus has detected no virus, I have also checked with the
lastest updates using Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware 2007 (free
version)

Whilst looking through the Firewall log I see some entries that I do
not understand to be hnest in the information panel which is the
following

protocol - udp

direction - incoming

packet (nothing is wrote under this section)

Source IP = My own IP address

Destination IP - an external IP address

Source port = 137 [NETBIOS Name ..runs out of space to write anything
else in the space available.

Destination port = 137 [NETBIOS Name Servi .. runs out of space to
write anything else in the space.

Then it says - Trojan: Legion from Rhino9

So this is the part that as far as I can see seems to say my own IP
address is sending an incoming message to my compter that is being
blocked by the firewall and it is intended to be sent to an external
IP address.

Sometimes it is an Incoming/Destination of port 138 [NETBIOS Datagram]
This doesnt say Trojan in the information field.

I downloaded and tried Macafee Stinger a freeware tool for trojans it
found zero virus.
I also tried
AVAST! free version - found zero virus
AVG free version - found zero virus
I also tried the RadialPoint antivirus from the isp - this found zero
virus.

I ran all of them normally and then ran them again with system restore
turned off .

So does this mean tha that I do have this virus and that it is unknown
by and outsmarts all the antivirus programs I have used so far ?
If so do I need a specific antivirus (free one please) or do I need a
specific tool to get rid of this trojan ?
Or can it be done manually and if so how ?

Or am I interpreting the firewall results incorrectly and it means I
dont have the virus but the virus is trying to access inwards to my pc
and is being denied by the firewall and the reaosn it is using my IP
as the incoming address is because it is spoofing it an attept to get
past the firewall ?

If I dont have this virus do you have any suggestions and help please
as to what I can do to rectify the upload bandwidth problem please ?

Thank You
Kevin

wisdomkiller & pain

dice wrote:

> Hello,
> I use Windows Xp Sp2 OS, I have a problem where I am unable to upload
> files and have run out of any more ideas to try and would really
> appreciate your help.
> My connection is 2Mbits downstream and 256kb upstream.
> What happens is the connection for download is working correctly .
> Browinsing appear a lot slower than normal.
> The connection for uploading is either zero kb or it begins at 20kb
> and goes 20kb, 14kb, 8kb, 2kb 1kb then zero kb (type of thing the
> exact kb does vary but the top numebr is always 20kb) , all within the
> matter of 3-6 seconds , I cannot upload small files such as a 34kb
> jpeg or larger files such as 7MB ,12MB or 33MB files.

Try booting from a liveCD which supports DSL (apparently your type of
broadband) like Knoppix. May your router/"modem" be switched to bridge
mode?

dice

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 15:27:01 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>dice wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>> I use Windows Xp Sp2 OS, I have a problem where I am unable to upload
>> files and have run out of any more ideas to try and would really
>> appreciate your help.
>> My connection is 2Mbits downstream and 256kb upstream.
>> What happens is the connection for download is working correctly .
>> Browinsing appear a lot slower than normal.
>> The connection for uploading is either zero kb or it begins at 20kb
>> and goes 20kb, 14kb, 8kb, 2kb 1kb then zero kb (type of thing the
>> exact kb does vary but the top numebr is always 20kb) , all within the
>> matter of 3-6 seconds , I cannot upload small files such as a 34kb
>> jpeg or larger files such as 7MB ,12MB or 33MB files.

>Try booting from a liveCD which supports DSL (apparently your type of
>broadband) like Knoppix. May your router/"modem" be switched to bridge
>mode?

Hello,
Thank You for yor reply.
the router/"modem" has no buttons on it or a settings panel and cannot
be switched to bridge mode as far as I know.
The label says it is a - "WebSTAR EPC2100R2 Series Cable Modem"

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

dice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Try booting from a liveCD which supports DSL (apparently your type of
>>broadband) like Knoppix. May your router/"modem" be switched to bridge
>>mode?

>Hello,
>Thank You for yor reply.
>the router/"modem" has no buttons on it or a settings panel and cannot
>be switched to bridge mode as far as I know.
>The label says it is a - "WebSTAR EPC2100R2 Series Cable Modem"

In your browser, in the address bar type in
192.168.0.1 <enter>
that should get you into the modem to make changes.

If that doesn't work:
Start | Run <type in>
CMD /K IPCONFIG
<enter>
in the address bar type the default gateway shown.

--

Explosion Video
http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=362984

wisdomkiller & pain

dice wrote:

> Hello,
> Thank You for yor reply.
> the router/"modem" has no buttons on it or a settings panel and cannot
> be switched to bridge mode as far as I know.
> The label says it is a - "WebSTAR EPC2100R2 Series Cable Modem"

Ah ok, so if it's a cable modem you may just start the livecd and let it
detect the network connection, it should work without effort.
Then try to down-/upload something.

dice

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 20:47:31 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> dice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>Try booting from a liveCD which supports DSL (apparently your type of
>>>broadband) like Knoppix. May your router/"modem" be switched to bridge
>>>mode?

>>Hello,
>>Thank You for yor reply.
>>the router/"modem" has no buttons on it or a settings panel and cannot
>>be switched to bridge mode as far as I know.
>>The label says it is a - "WebSTAR EPC2100R2 Series Cable Modem"

>In your browser, in the address bar type in
>192.168.0.1 <enter>
>that should get you into the modem to make changes.
>
>If that doesn't work:
>Start | Run <type in>
>CMD /K IPCONFIG
><enter>
>in the address bar type the default gateway shown.

Hello
Thank You for your reply.
I have tried both methods and both produced a page not found.
I have also tried to bridge connections in the settings of windows, it
didnt work, so I undone it and deleted the bridge.

dice

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:01:21 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>dice wrote:

>> Hello,
>> Thank You for yor reply.
>> the router/"modem" has no buttons on it or a settings panel and cannot
>> be switched to bridge mode as far as I know.
>> The label says it is a - "WebSTAR EPC2100R2 Series Cable Modem"

>Ah ok, so if it's a cable modem you may just start the livecd and let it
>detect the network connection, it should work without effort.
>Then try to down-/upload something.

Hello ,
Thank You for your reply.
I had a look at a couple of knoppix mirrors and was unable to
determine what files to d/l for cd as I do not have a dvd burner.
Does it come with a web browser and ftp program to test the uploads ?
I usually use coffecup direct ftp.

wisdomkiller & pain

dice wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:01:21 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>dice wrote:

>>> Hello,
>>> Thank You for yor reply.
>>> the router/"modem" has no buttons on it or a settings panel and cannot
>>> be switched to bridge mode as far as I know.
>>> The label says it is a - "WebSTAR EPC2100R2 Series Cable Modem"

>>Ah ok, so if it's a cable modem you may just start the livecd and let it
>>detect the network connection, it should work without effort.
>>Then try to down-/upload something.

> Hello ,
> Thank You for your reply.
> I had a look at a couple of knoppix mirrors and was unable to
> determine what files to d/l for cd as I do not have a dvd burner.
> Does it come with a web browser and ftp program to test the uploads ?
> I usually use coffecup direct ftp.

You can find a cd image (iso file, ready to burn using the "burn image"
under extras or options with whatever burn program you use) here:
ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.uni-kl....linux/knoppix/

dice

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:01:31 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>dice wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:01:21 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Ah ok, so if it's a cable modem you may just start the livecd and let it
>>>detect the network connection, it should work without effort.
>>>Then try to down-/upload something.

>> Hello ,
>> Thank You for your reply.
>> I had a look at a couple of knoppix mirrors and was unable to
>> determine what files to d/l for cd as I do not have a dvd burner.
>> Does it come with a web browser and ftp program to test the uploads ?
>> I usually use coffecup direct ftp.

>You can find a cd image (iso file, ready to burn using the "burn image"
>under extras or options with whatever burn program you use) here:
>ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.uni-kl....linux/knoppix/

Hello,
Thank You for your reply and for help with the link.
I have d/l and made the cd of Knoppix.

I booted from the cd, and was unable to connect to the internet.
On the modem it has a pc light to show the cable modem is
communicating with the computer, this was not lit when the Knoppix
live cd was running.
Also the modem has data lights that light up when sending or receiving
these did not light when I tried to connect to the internet with the
Knoppix cd running.
Knoppix looks nice and the functions I tried I liked.It runs much
faster than windows on my computer.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dice wrote:

> Knoppix looks nice and the functions I tried I liked.It runs much
> faster than windows on my computer.

Knoppix from the CD runs faster than your Windows?

There is a story here...

--
-bts