Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How can I open an attachment blocked by OE because unsafe?

How can I open an attachment blocked by OE because unsafe?

Rolf

The header says it all, OE has blocked an attachment that I dearly wish to
open, and I can't find no solution, but I would be very surprised if anyone
here didn't have a solution!

Rolf

Desk Rabbit

Rolf wrote:
> The header says it all, OE has blocked an attachment that I dearly wish to
> open, and I can't find no solution

So Googling "outlook express blocked an attachment" returned zero
results then?

I'd complain if I was you.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Rolf wrote:

> The header says it all,

...and fortunately, you also stated the question in the body of your
post. Subject lines are for short, concise titles.

> OE has blocked an attachment that I dearly wish to open, and I can't
> find no solution, but I would be very surprised if anyone here didn't
> have a solution!

Just got a Windows update, didn't you? Updates have the habit of
changing your choices without asking.

In OE, go to Tools > Options > Security tab
and uncheck the obvious checkbox.

I'm sure you also save attachments to a directory somewhere, and scan
them with your up-to-date anti-virus program before opening them,
correct?

--
-bts

Gordon

"Rolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The header says it all, OE has blocked an attachment that I dearly wish to
> open, and I can't find no solution, but I would be very surprised if
> anyone
> here didn't have a solution!
>
> Rolf

My god - there must be HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of references to this in
Google.........sheeeesh!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Gordon wrote:

> "Rolf" wrote:
>> The header says it all, OE has blocked an attachment that I dearly
>> wish to open, and I can't find no solution, but I would be very
>> surprised if anyone here didn't have a solution!

> My god - there must be HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of references to this in
> Google.........sheeeesh!

Results 1 - 10 of about 882,000 ...

...the first one of which says:
"Not being able to open attachments sent to you by email is a common
support issue for users of Outlook Express 6."

Why are OE users afraid to look in Options?

--
-bts

Evan Platt

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:56:03 +0200, "Rolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The header says it all, OE has blocked an attachment that I dearly wish to
>open, and I can't find no solution, but I would be very surprised if anyone
>here didn't have a solution!

How hard did you try to find a solution?

Buffalo

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> "Rolf" wrote:
>>> The header says it all, OE has blocked an attachment that I dearly
>>> wish to open, and I can't find no solution, but I would be very
>>> surprised if anyone here didn't have a solution!

>> My god - there must be HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of references to this in
>> Google.........sheeeesh!

> Results 1 - 10 of about 882,000 ...
>
> ..the first one of which says:
> "Not being able to open attachments sent to you by email is a common
> support issue for users of Outlook Express 6."
>
> Why are OE users afraid to look in Options?

My brothers OE will not allow attachments to Open no matter what he allows
in the Options menu in OE.
It's not always as simple as that.
He even reinstalled OE (running WinXPpro Service Pack 2, I believe.

Tester

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:56:03 +0200, "Rolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The header says it all, OE has blocked an attachment that I dearly wish to
>open, and I can't find no solution, but I would be very surprised if anyone
>here didn't have a solution!
>
>Rolf

Are you seeing an info bar? Have you tried clicking on it?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/.../oeandsp2.mspx

Evan Platt

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 12:47:16 -0600, "Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My brothers OE will not allow attachments to Open no matter what he allows
>in the Options menu in OE.
>It's not always as simple as that.
>He even reinstalled OE (running WinXPpro Service Pack 2, I believe.

I think the solution is simple...

Buffalo

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 12:47:16 -0600, "Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> My brothers OE will not allow attachments to Open no matter what he
>> allows in the Options menu in OE.
>> It's not always as simple as that.
>> He even reinstalled OE (running WinXPpro Service Pack 2, I believe.

> I think the solution is simple...

Well, what would it be?
He already thinks he did everything in Options to allow attachments to open.
He cannot even save them.
Or, are you suggesting he uses another e-mail client?