Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Installing XP Pro X64

Installing XP Pro X64

=?Utf-8?B?V2lja2VkTmluamFsbw==?=

I Have an IBM t21 I have had xp pro on there before, I got a new laptop and
wiped out the old one. Now I need to reinstall XP pro and I dont have my cd
anymore. So I found the link to download it here at microsoft.com. I
downloaded it and burnt it to a cd like it said and it wont boot at all. on
either laptop. Any Ideas?

Dominic Payer

You need to burn the image to a CD, not just write the iso file to a disk.

Are you sure the T21 is 64-bit capable?

If your original installation or restore disk is lost or damaged you can
probably obtain a replacement from your supplier or manufacturer for a
nominal fee. You could copy an OEM installation disk if you know someone who
has one.

"WickedNinjalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I Have an IBM t21 I have had xp pro on there before, I got a new laptop and
> wiped out the old one. Now I need to reinstall XP pro and I dont have my
> cd
> anymore. So I found the link to download it here at microsoft.com. I
> downloaded it and burnt it to a cd like it said and it wont boot at all.
> on
> either laptop. Any Ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Dominic:
The T21 is not 64-bit capable.
Processor is an 800 MHz Pentium III
Specs can be found here:
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-IBM-Thin...1-2647-26474AU
or elsewhere.

Carlos

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> You need to burn the image to a CD, not just write the iso file to a disk.
>
> Are you sure the T21 is 64-bit capable?
>
> If your original installation or restore disk is lost or damaged you can
> probably obtain a replacement from your supplier or manufacturer for a
> nominal fee. You could copy an OEM installation disk if you know someone who
> has one.
>

> "WickedNinjalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I Have an IBM t21 I have had xp pro on there before, I got a new laptop and
> > wiped out the old one. Now I need to reinstall XP pro and I dont have my
> > cd
> > anymore. So I found the link to download it here at microsoft.com. I
> > downloaded it and burnt it to a cd like it said and it wont boot at all.
> > on
> > either laptop. Any Ideas?

Dominic Payer

Thanks Carlos.
I didn't think it was 64-bit capable, but better for him to find out for
himself before he wasted time and disks that were never going to work.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dominic:
> The T21 is not 64-bit capable.
> Processor is an 800 MHz Pentium III
> Specs can be found here:
> http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-IBM-Thin...1-2647-26474AU
> or elsewhere.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Dominic Payer" wrote:
>
>> You need to burn the image to a CD, not just write the iso file to a
>> disk.
>>
>> Are you sure the T21 is 64-bit capable?
>>
>> If your original installation or restore disk is lost or damaged you can
>> probably obtain a replacement from your supplier or manufacturer for a
>> nominal fee. You could copy an OEM installation disk if you know someone
>> who
>> has one.
>>

>> "WickedNinjalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I Have an IBM t21 I have had xp pro on there before, I got a new laptop
>> >and
>> > wiped out the old one. Now I need to reinstall XP pro and I dont have
>> > my
>> > cd
>> > anymore. So I found the link to download it here at microsoft.com. I
>> > downloaded it and burnt it to a cd like it said and it wont boot at
>> > all.
>> > on
>> > either laptop. Any Ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?V2lja2VkTmluamFsbw==?=

Well thats half my problem, the other half is that the disk wont work at all.

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> Thanks Carlos.
> I didn't think it was 64-bit capable, but better for him to find out for
> himself before he wasted time and disks that were never going to work.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dominic:
> > The T21 is not 64-bit capable.
> > Processor is an 800 MHz Pentium III
> > Specs can be found here:
> > http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-IBM-Thin...1-2647-26474AU
> > or elsewhere.
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Dominic Payer" wrote:
> >
> >> You need to burn the image to a CD, not just write the iso file to a
> >> disk.
> >>
> >> Are you sure the T21 is 64-bit capable?
> >>
> >> If your original installation or restore disk is lost or damaged you can
> >> probably obtain a replacement from your supplier or manufacturer for a
> >> nominal fee. You could copy an OEM installation disk if you know someone
> >> who
> >> has one.
> >>

> >> "WickedNinjalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Theo

There are any number of reasons why the CD doesn't boot; a
bad download, a corrupted file, a bad transfer of the image
to CD, not burned correctly. But if you're system isn't
64-bit, then you're just wasting your time. If it were to
boot it would tell you it won't work on your CPU. So the
best thing to do is to find a 32-bit Win XP CD and move on.

WickedNinjalo wrote:
> Well thats half my problem, the other half is that the disk wont work at all.
>
> "Dominic Payer" wrote:
>
>> Thanks Carlos.
>> I didn't think it was 64-bit capable, but better for him to find out for
>> himself before he wasted time and disks that were never going to work.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Dominic:
>>> The T21 is not 64-bit capable.
>>> Processor is an 800 MHz Pentium III
>>> Specs can be found here:
>>> http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-IBM-Thin...1-2647-26474AU
>>> or elsewhere.
>>>
>>> Carlos

Dominic Payer

I think you burned the .iso file to the disk as a file.

You need to burn the image to make the disk bootable. See
http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

"WickedNinjalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well thats half my problem, the other half is that the disk wont work at
> all.
>
> "Dominic Payer" wrote:
>
>> Thanks Carlos.
>> I didn't think it was 64-bit capable, but better for him to find out for
>> himself before he wasted time and disks that were never going to work.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Dominic:
>> > The T21 is not 64-bit capable.
>> > Processor is an 800 MHz Pentium III
>> > Specs can be found here:
>> > http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-IBM-Thin...1-2647-26474AU
>> > or elsewhere.
>> >
>> > Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?V2lja2VkTmluamFsbw==?=

Actually I burnt it using Roxio and I have tried several different ways to
burn it. And I tried this cd in my Dell Inspiron 1501 and it still dosent
work.

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> I think you burned the .iso file to the disk as a file.
>
> You need to burn the image to make the disk bootable. See
> http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm
>

> "WickedNinjalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well thats half my problem, the other half is that the disk wont work at
> > all.
> >
> > "Dominic Payer" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Carlos.
> >> I didn't think it was 64-bit capable, but better for him to find out for
> >> himself before he wasted time and disks that were never going to work.
> >>

> >> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Theo

But did you specifically burn "Image to Disc" or did you
burn a data disc? You have to burn an image for this to work.

WickedNinjalo wrote:
> Actually I burnt it using Roxio and I have tried several different ways to
> burn it. And I tried this cd in my Dell Inspiron 1501 and it still dosent
> work.
>
> "Dominic Payer" wrote:
>
>> I think you burned the .iso file to the disk as a file.
>>
>> You need to burn the image to make the disk bootable. See
>> http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm
>>

>> "WickedNinjalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Well thats half my problem, the other half is that the disk wont work at
>>> all.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Hi:
Just to be sure that you have done the right thing...
What do you see when you browse the files in the disc?
1.- Several files (the "right thing")?
2.- Just one file with the ISO extension (the "wrong thing")?
Carlos