Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > udp broadcasts and browse master

udp broadcasts and browse master

b0b

On a windows 2000/2003 domain we have users coming into a Cisco VPN
Concentrator via the Cisco VPN Client software, these then seem to announce
themselves as browse masters to the domain controller local to the
concentrator and force elections all the time, with the main DC losing the
elections which is strange anyway as it is the pdc.

Am I right in thinking udp broadcast traffic for this should not be crossing
over or should be blocked?

A possibly relevant command I did find was:-

no ip forward-protocol udp NetBIOS-ns

I dont understand enough about it at this point so any pointers would be
useful.

Merv

take a look at

K13241644 Title How to resolve Cisco VPN Client problems with name
resolution

Verify that you are passing WINS server info to client.

b0b

"Merv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> take a look at
>
> K13241644 Title How to resolve Cisco VPN Client problems with name
> resolution
>
> Verify that you are passing WINS server info to client.

Where would I find that K document? ... Also, we do not use Wins.

Merv

On Sep 8, 5:33 pm, "b0b" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Merv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>
> > take a look at

> > K13241644 Title How to resolve Cisco VPN Client problems with name
> > resolution

> > Verify that you are passing WINS server info to client.

> Where would I find that K document? ... Also, we do not use Wins.

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-ad...case=K13241644

If you do not have w WINS server then Windows will use NETBIOS UDP
broadcast for name resolution unless the users are using pure IP
applications without nETBIOS