Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > expanding system partition on Windows Server

expanding system partition on Windows Server

runner7@fastmail.fm

I am trying to find a quick and inexpensive way to expand the system
partiton on a Windows Server 2003 or SBS 2003 system. Can this be
done just from backup by wiping and reformatting the disk? My concern
is that there may be some sort of settings in the registry or O/S
somewhere that relate to the original partition size. Can anyone tell
me if this is the case? Is the above a safe way to expand the system
partition? I would like to avoid purchase of 3rd party software, if
possible. Thanks for any help.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> I am trying to find a quick and inexpensive way to expand the system
> partiton on a Windows Server 2003 or SBS 2003 system. Can this be
> done just from backup by wiping and reformatting the disk? My concern
> is that there may be some sort of settings in the registry or O/S
> somewhere that relate to the original partition size. Can anyone tell
> me if this is the case? Is the above a safe way to expand the system
> partition? I would like to avoid purchase of 3rd party software, if
> possible. Thanks for any help.

You're running Server 2003 and can't afford Partition Magic? As for your
question, I'm not experienced at 2003 but it works with the versions of
Windows I have tried to do it the way you suggest.

runner7@fastmail.fm

Per Symantec's site, the system requirements for Partition Magic are
only for non-server versions of Windows. I surely would like to know
if there are any settings issues relative to partition size when you
restore a system partition of any version of Windows to a larger
partition. Thanks again to anyone with advice.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Per Symantec's site, the system requirements for Partition Magic are
>only for non-server versions of Windows. I surely would like to know
>if there are any settings issues relative to partition size when you
>restore a system partition of any version of Windows to a larger
>partition. Thanks again to anyone with advice.

I could of easily misread this...

But backing up your MBR before changing any partition size is very
important. MBRtool is what I use
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/mbrtool.htm
--
Shadow Play