Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Usenet (news groups) with Vista?

Usenet (news groups) with Vista?

Alex Clayton

Usenet (news groups) with Vista?

My old desk top finally died today, so I will have to get us another one. I
had read a while back people who bought a Vista saying they could not get
the "new version" of Outlook that comes with Vista to work as a news reader.
Is this still the case? If so I would be forced to either buy a different
reader, or buy a copy of XP and change the new computer? I wanted to know
before I go buy another one so I know what I need.

Thanks.
Moderation is for monks."

[Lazarus Long]

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On Sep 4, 8:28 pm, "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Usenet (news groups) with Vista?
>
> My old desk top finally died today, so I will have to get us another one. I
> had read a while back people who bought a Vista saying they could not get
> the "new version" of Outlook that comes with Vista to work as a news reader.
> Is this still the case? If so I would be forced to either buy a different
> reader, or buy a copy of XP and change the new computer? I wanted to know
> before I go buy another one so I know what I need.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
> Moderation is for monks."
>
> [Lazarus Long]

wow, you are an ignorant wolly.

I bet you buy Anti-Virus software too.

Ever tried googling for free anti virus ? (careful though, try looking
at reviews, so you get a legit one like AVG, not a malicious one).

How about free news reader/client ? Ever try googling that?

xananews is an amazing free one.
Incase you can't google, here's a link
http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/xananews.htm

I don't know if you ever downloaded anything from the internet though.
It's a skill you should learn.

I have no idea how you got as far as managing to post something on
usenet. That's very mysterious. That's a real question.

Alex Clayton

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Sep 4, 8:28 pm, "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Usenet (news groups) with Vista?
>>
>> My old desk top finally died today, so I will have to get us another one.
>> had read a while back people who bought a Vista saying they could not get
>> the "new version" of Outlook that comes with Vista to work as a news
>> reader.
>> Is this still the case? If so I would be forced to either buy a different
>> reader, or buy a copy of XP and change the new computer? I wanted to know
>> before I go buy another one so I know what I need.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>> "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
>> Moderation is for monks."
>>
>> [Lazarus Long]

> wow, you are an ignorant wolly.
>
> I bet you buy Anti-Virus software too.
>
> Ever tried googling for free anti virus ? (careful though, try looking
> at reviews, so you get a legit one like AVG, not a malicious one).
>
> How about free news reader/client ? Ever try googling that?
>
> xananews is an amazing free one.
> Incase you can't google, here's a link
> http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/xananews.htm
>
> I don't know if you ever downloaded anything from the internet though.
> It's a skill you should learn.
>
> I have no idea how you got as far as managing to post something on
> usenet. That's very mysterious. That's a real question.

ROTFLMAO!!
Does Mom know you are using her computer again?
--
Stupidity should be painful

Paul

Alex Clayton wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> On Sep 4, 8:28 pm, "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Usenet (news groups) with Vista?
>>>
>>> My old desk top finally died today, so I will have to get us another one.
>>> had read a while back people who bought a Vista saying they could not get
>>> the "new version" of Outlook that comes with Vista to work as a news
>>> reader.
>>> Is this still the case? If so I would be forced to either buy a different
>>> reader, or buy a copy of XP and change the new computer? I wanted to know
>>> before I go buy another one so I know what I need.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> --
>>> "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
>>> Moderation is for monks."
>>>
>>> [Lazarus Long]

>> wow, you are an ignorant wolly.
>>
>> I bet you buy Anti-Virus software too.
>>
>> Ever tried googling for free anti virus ? (careful though, try looking
>> at reviews, so you get a legit one like AVG, not a malicious one).
>>
>> How about free news reader/client ? Ever try googling that?
>>
>> xananews is an amazing free one.
>> Incase you can't google, here's a link
>> http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/xananews.htm
>>
>> I don't know if you ever downloaded anything from the internet though.
>> It's a skill you should learn.
>>
>> I have no idea how you got as far as managing to post something on
>> usenet. That's very mysterious. That's a real question.
>>

> ROTFLMAO!!
> Does Mom know you are using her computer again?

Mozilla Thunderbird is another possibility. The "System Requirements"
page lists Vista, so it should work there. I'm using Thunderbird to
post this.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Paul

Fred

"Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Usenet (news groups) with Vista?
>
> My old desk top finally died today, so I will have to get us another one.
> I had read a while back people who bought a Vista saying they could not
> get the "new version" of Outlook that comes with Vista to work as a news
> reader. Is this still the case?

I don't know if those people are still having problems.
But if you are referring to the Vista version of Outlook Express which they
have called Windows Mail it works fine for newsgroups. Posting with it now.
It looks similar to Outlook Express but they have changed some background
stuff, like the way messages are stored and etc.

> If so I would be forced to either buy a different reader, or buy a copy of
> XP and change the new computer? I wanted to know before I go buy another
> one so I know what I need.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
> Moderation is for monks."
>
> [Lazarus Long]

Travis

Ignore the first two morons (btw keep it on topic next time)...
Thunderbird is a great usenet client, although I use Google and not
outlook express or thunderbird I have used it.

Or, instead of switching to vista (I do not recommend it), just delete
Vista and install XP on your new computer, I personally find it better
(a lot do...). If you need help on installing XP over Vista just ask
in this group or a forum.

On Sep 4, 6:49 pm, "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
> > Usenet (news groups) with Vista?

> > My old desk top finally died today, so I will have to get us another one.
> > I had read a while back people who bought a Vista saying they could not
> > get the "new version" of Outlook that comes with Vista to work as a news
> > reader. Is this still the case?

> I don't know if those people are still having problems.
> But if you are referring to the Vista version of Outlook Express which they
> have called Windows Mail it works fine for newsgroups. Posting with it now.
> It looks similar to Outlook Express but they have changed some background
> stuff, like the way messages are stored and etc.
>
> > If so I would be forced to either buy a different reader, or buy a copy of
> > XP and change the new computer? I wanted to know before I go buy another
> > one so I know what I need.

> > Thanks.
> > --
> > "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
> > Moderation is for monks."

> > [Lazarus Long]

Travis

On Sep 4, 6:49 pm, "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
> > Usenet (news groups) with Vista?

> > My old desk top finally died today, so I will have to get us another one.
> > I had read a while back people who bought a Vista saying they could not
> > get the "new version" of Outlook that comes with Vista to work as a news
> > reader. Is this still the case?

> I don't know if those people are still having problems.
> But if you are referring to the Vista version of Outlook Express which they
> have called Windows Mail it works fine for newsgroups. Posting with it now.
> It looks similar to Outlook Express but they have changed some background
> stuff, like the way messages are stored and etc.
>
> > If so I would be forced to either buy a different reader, or buy a copy of
> > XP and change the new computer? I wanted to know before I go buy another
> > one so I know what I need.

> > Thanks.
> > --
> > "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
> > Moderation is for monks."

> > [Lazarus Long]

Delete my message

Alex Clayton

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I don't know if those people are still having problems.
> But if you are referring to the Vista version of Outlook Express which
> they have called Windows Mail it works fine for newsgroups. Posting with
> it now.
> It looks similar to Outlook Express but they have changed some background
> stuff, like the way messages are stored and etc.

Ok if I have to set up someone I will be able to give it a try then. I have
only seen one Vista machine so far, a co worker bought a Laptop with it. I
got it up and running for her but we did not have a news feed at work and
she had no interest in it anyway. I did see first hand what they mean about
the RAM though. At first I thought something was wrong with the machine. I
was trying to load anti virus, and anti spy ware and fire wall onto it and
it kept slowing down to the point I thought it had locked up a couple times.
Then I realized you just had to be careful to only try to do one thing at a
time. It had 512 which they were at that time saying was the "min needed"
RAM. I notice now I am seeing even the cheapest machines including 1024. So
I guess they were getting too many complaints. After I did some more looking
yesterday it dawned on me I would have to buy new printers too. I forgot our
old scanner printer combo is a pre XP. They don't offer a driver for Vista,
but it still works and I don't want to be having to plug in one of the
laptops every time I want to print or scan. Wife has an old PDA and we both
have old MP3 players so I decided to hell with it and ordered up a new desk
top from Dell made with XP. At least now I know all our stuff will work.
Thanks though, the next time I have to help with a Vista machine I will see
if I can get my news feed on it.
--
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer.
Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does

Alex Clayton

"Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Ignore the first two morons (btw keep it on topic next time)...

This is Usenet, the morons are always good for a few laughs. If you want
trolls to keep something on topic, you're wasting your time. <G>

> Thunderbird is a great usenet client, although I use Google and not
> outlook express or thunderbird I have used it.

I had thought about checking into that, I know several people who use Agent,
but they had warned the free version did not work as well as the pay
version. I just did not want to have to learn a new system if there was an
easy way around it. I have over the years heard a LOT of bitching about OE,
but after WebTV it's what I learned on, and have never had any complaints
with it.

> Or, instead of switching to vista (I do not recommend it), just delete
> Vista and install XP on your new computer, I personally find it better
> (a lot do...). If you need help on installing XP over Vista just ask
> in this group or a forum.

That was one of my first ideas, since I know XP and was not impressed with
the one version of Vista I had seen so far. I could see nothing on the Vista
machine I set up that interested me. It's just that looking around all I see
now is Vista. When I was looking I get the impression I would either have to
buy a copy of XP or take the old machine and new machine to a pro to have
the old license moved to the new machine? Either way I did not want to have
to spend more money after buying a new PC. Looking at Amazon XP runs from
about $100.00 to about $200.00 depending on which "version" and reading the
reviews it was not clear if I would need a "full version" or the cheap one
to just format a new machine and install XP. Even the $100.00 one ****es me
off since a large chunk of the cost of a new PC would be the Vista version I
would be basically throwing away. Anyway after more looking around I just
decided to have Dell build us a new desktop with XP. Now everything will be
the same, all our stuff will I know work, and when it gets here I can easily
set it up and have it running since this system I know.
--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin
Franklin

Fred

"Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I don't know if those people are still having problems.
>> But if you are referring to the Vista version of Outlook Express which
>> they have called Windows Mail it works fine for newsgroups. Posting with
>> it now.
>> It looks similar to Outlook Express but they have changed some background
>> stuff, like the way messages are stored and etc.
>>

> Ok if I have to set up someone I will be able to give it a try then. I
> have only seen one Vista machine so far, a co worker bought a Laptop with
> it. I got it up and running for her but we did not have a news feed at
> work and she had no interest in it anyway. I did see first hand what they
> mean about the RAM though. At first I thought something was wrong with the
> machine. I was trying to load anti virus, and anti spy ware and fire wall
> onto it and it kept slowing down to the point I thought it had locked up a
> couple times. Then I realized you just had to be careful to only try to do
> one thing at a time. It had 512 which they were at that time saying was
> the "min needed" RAM. I notice now I am seeing even the cheapest machines
> including 1024. So I guess they were getting too many complaints. After I
> did some more looking yesterday it dawned on me I would have to buy new
> printers too. I forgot our old scanner printer combo is a pre XP. They
> don't offer a driver for Vista, but it still works and I don't want to be
> having to plug in one of the laptops every time I want to print or scan.
> Wife has an old PDA and we both have old MP3 players so I decided to hell
> with it and ordered up a new desk top from Dell made with XP. At least now
> I know all our stuff will work.
> Thanks though, the next time I have to help with a Vista machine I will
> see if I can get my news feed on it.

Yes Vista is better with more RAM.
You are probably better off using XP as some older versions of programs
don't function fully on Vista.

re the slow performance after installing programs.
This may be caused by the file indexing service associated with Vista
search.
With Vista, search is integrated into the Start menu, Explorer windows,
Control Panel and etc.
It's one feature that I like and sets it apart from XP.
As an example I just installed Adobe Master Collection CS3 which includes
some 19 programs that consume over 5GB's of disc space with over 44,000
files on my Vista machine.
The machine ran very slowly at first as the programs were competing with the
indexing service for disc access.
After a while, once the indexing service had completed, things were back to
normal.

Re: Usenet abuse (addressed to Usenet admins) Mike Easter Computer Support 5 01-18-2010 09:18 AM
Re: Usenet abuse (addressed to Usenet admins) Tony Computer Support 0 01-17-2010 06:05 PM
Thunderbird .. usenet .. elyob Firefox 1 05-11-2005 06:07 AM
Thunderbird Usenet Question: How can I set the Distribution header on my posted message ? Al Dykes Firefox 2 01-12-2005 08:37 PM
OT: Google's 20 Year Usenet Timeline =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?= MCSE 4 08-27-2003 09:48 PM

Advertisments