Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Building a website.

Building a website.

Den

Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
to be able to do this for free, if possible.

Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
before, so I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers - Den.

meerkat

"Den" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
> go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
> to be able to do this for free, if possible.
>
> Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
> before, so I would appreciate any tips.

Hi Den.
Go here, and type in....building a website.
www.google.com
You`ll get lots of hits, and advice.

bw..

Blinky the Shark

meerkat wrote:

> "Den" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>> Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
>> go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
>> to be able to do this for free, if possible.
>>
>> Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
>> before, so I would appreciate any tips.
>>

> Hi Den.
> Go here, and type in....building a website.
> www.google.com
> You`ll get lots of hits, and advice.

The best of which is probably, "since you know nothing about it and want
it to look professional, hire a professional."

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

meerkat

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> meerkat wrote:
>>
>> "Den" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>>> Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
>>> go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
>>> to be able to do this for free, if possible.
>>>
>>> Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
>>> before, so I would appreciate any tips.
>>>

>> Hi Den.
>> Go here, and type in....building a website.
>> www.google.com
>> You`ll get lots of hits, and advice.

> The best of which is probably, "since you know nothing about it and want
> it to look professional, hire a professional."

Yeabut, where do professionals come from B ?.
They don`t grow on trees yaknow <g>.

bw..

Blinky the Shark

meerkat wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> meerkat wrote:
>>>
>>> "Den" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

>>> Hi Den.
>>> Go here, and type in....building a website.
>>> www.google.com
>>> You`ll get lots of hits, and advice.

>> The best of which is probably, "since you know nothing about it and want
>> it to look professional, hire a professional."
>>

> Yeabut, where do professionals come from B ?.

He wants a "professional" site now. Not after he's spent a couple years
learning.

> They don`t grow on trees yaknow <g>.

No, I'm sure he could find scores of thousands with a Google search on
"web designer" or some such.

--

meerkat wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> meerkat wrote:
>>>
>>> "Den" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

>>> Hi Den.
>>> Go here, and type in....building a website.
>>> www.google.com
>>> You`ll get lots of hits, and advice.

>> The best of which is probably, "since you know nothing about it and want
>> it to look professional, hire a professional."
>>

> Yeabut, where do professionals come from B ?.
> They don`t grow on trees yaknow <g>.

Second Response:

Note that he's also a Google Groper, so

1. That doesn't speak well for his chances of learning anything.

2. Why am I trying to help him? I ****ed up. I'm outta here.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project:

meerkat

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> meerkat wrote:
>>
>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> The best of which is probably, "since you know nothing about it and want
>>> it to look professional, hire a professional."
>>>

>> Yeabut, where do professionals come from B ?.
>> They don`t grow on trees yaknow <g>.

> Second Response:
>

> Note that he's also a Google Groper, so
>
> 1. That doesn't speak well for his chances of learning anything.
>
> 2. Why am I trying to help him? I ****ed up. I'm outta here.

You`re worth a couple of smiles a day from me. Thank you.

bw..

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Den wrote:

> Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
> go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would
> like to be able to do this for free, if possible.

You could start here:
http://htmldog.com/

> Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
> before, so I would appreciate any tips.

A 'professional' web site is not kid stuff. I've seen sites designed by
people in the business for years that I wouldn't consider
'professional.'

If you just want to play around and make a personal site, try using
http://kompozer.net/
but do not bypass the step of writing code by hand. Otherwise, you will
not know how to fix mistakes that the 'generators' invariably make.

--
-bts

Den

On 4 Sep, 18:45, Den <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
> go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
> to be able to do this for free, if possible.
>
> Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
> before, so I would appreciate any tips.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Cheers - Den.

Thanks for the genuine replies. As for the smartarsed one - why bother
mate? 'Google Groper'??? Is that a name for someone who actually does
something else apart from constantly fart around with computers? If
so, I'm guilty as charged.

Den

On 4 Sep, 19:24, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> meerkat wrote:
>
> > "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) t...

> >> The best of which is probably, "since you know nothing about it and want
> >> it to look professional, hire a professional."

> > Yeabut, where do professionals come from B ?.
> > They don`t grow on trees yaknow <g>.

> Second Response:
>
> Note that he's also a Google Groper, so
>
> 1. That doesn't speak well for his chances of learning anything.
>
> 2. Why am I trying to help him? I ****ed up. I'm outta here.
>
> --
> Blinky RLU 297263
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28- Hide quoted text -

I posted a reply to this, and clicked 'reply to author' by mistake.
For that I apologise, if you get an e-mail. Not that you would be
arsed, I suppose. You appear to be the type that enjoys 'lording it'
over people who don't know as much as you about computers, so well
done.