Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What is the Best Software for Fixing Pictures?

What is the Best Software for Fixing Pictures?

Barry Goodthrall

What is the best software to quickly fix photos.

Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

loony

On 4 Sep, 16:22, Barry Goodthrall <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
>
> Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
> digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
> does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
> eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
> Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

I've been using the free program Irfanview for basic adjustments, but
I'm looking for more functionality so I'm intersted in answers to this
too. I'm currently looking at Paintshop pro X or XI. I've used a very
old version (5) and it is excellent for graphics but poor for
photographs probably because of it's age. However the new versions
seem to be highly rated and geared towards photo editing and a LOT
cheaper than photoshop. Not sure where you're from but I can pick up
Paintshop Pro X for around 30 compared to around 100 for Photoshop
elements (a cut down version of the full photoshop).

Victek

> What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
>
> Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
> digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
> does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
> eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
> Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

The best "one step fix" I've seen is implemented in Upshot
(www.upshotphoto.com), but I don't like the interface if you want to do
anything more complicated. They have a free trial download.

silvercelt

On 4 Sep, 17:07, "Victek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > What is the best software to quickly fix photos.

> > Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
> > digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
> > does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
> > eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
> > Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

> The best "one step fix" I've seen is implemented in Upshot
> (www.upshotphoto.com), but I don't like the interface if you want to do
> anything more complicated. They have a free trial download.

I use Irfanview or adobe photo shop elements 4

HEMI-Powered

Barry Goodthrall added these comments in the current discussion
du jour ...

> What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
>
> Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more
> complex digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want
> something that does common corrections the average novice
> often needs, such as red eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting
> adjustments, etc quickly. Ideally what program has the best
> "one step fix" function?

there is no best anything, I'm afraid. e.gg., what is best? a sub-
compact car, a 4x4 SUV or an exotic million dollar sports car or
anything in between. Please elaborate what subject(s) you intend to
shoot, an estimate of your skill so far with graphics and your
camera, and what you expect some software to do for you.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Dennis Pogson

Barry Goodthrall wrote:
> What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
>
> Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
> digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
> does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
> eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
> Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

Faststone will probably do all you wish and it's free from-
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Dennis.

Dave Cohen

Dennis Pogson wrote:
> Barry Goodthrall wrote:
>> What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
>>
>> Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
>> digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
>> does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
>> eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
>> Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

> Faststone will probably do all you wish and it's free from-
> http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
>

> Dennis.

FastStone is the best I've come across for a free utility that does
almost everything. It stops short of paint brush tools, layers etc and
for that I'm using PhotoPlus. I've used PSP version 7 and if I had to
buy a package today would probably get the latest version of that, but
would still use FastStone for quick corrections.
My default viewer is Irfanview, it's good for bulk resize/resample and
file move.
Dave Cohen

wohwagen

"Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> FastStone is the best I've come across for a free utility that does almost
> everything. It stops short of paint brush tools, layers etc and for that
> I'm using PhotoPlus. I've used PSP version 7 and if I had to buy a package
> today would probably get the latest version of that, but would still use
> FastStone for quick corrections.
> My default viewer is Irfanview, it's good for bulk resize/resample and
> file move.
> Dave Cohen

-------------

Serif are currently giving away 5 of their older programmes for absolutely
nothing (you pay 89p for the CD & P&P) They make a half-hearted attempt to
sell you the latest version when you telephone them for the free software -
but that's it.

Among the freebies is version 7 of PhotoPlus (free web update available)
which is a Photoshop clone (or maybe PS is a PhotoPlus clone Same
tools,same layout etc (I believe that you can even run PS actions in it!)

It's got to be just about the best free piece of photo software available at
the moment - I got it because it was free, although I use Lightroom, and was
very impressed.

Joseph Meehan

Unless you define "Best" there can be no "Best."

Your skill level, the features needed, the cost, the ease of use, your
tolerance for errors, likely continued support etc.

There are a lot of good ones out there.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

"Barry Goodthrall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
>
> Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
> digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
> does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
> eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
> Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

Peter J E Brunning

You could take a look at:
http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-...ml?tag=nl.e415