Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Drop down menus and Javascript turned off

Drop down menus and Javascript turned off

mrcakey

Just wondering how people handle the situation where you have a drop down
menu such as this:

http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/example/

and the user is using IE with Javascript turned off?

My inclination would be to leave the main navigation bar as is, allow the
user to click on the main links and then serve submenu items as fixed
content immediately below the main navigation using IE and noscript
conditionals.

What are other people's experience with this?

+mrcakey

Bergamot

mrcakey wrote:
> Just wondering how people handle the situation where you have a drop down
> menu such as this:
>
> http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/example/
>
> and the user is using IE with Javascript turned off?
>
> My inclination would be to leave the main navigation bar as is,

My inclination is to hit the browser back button and go to another site.

BTW, I don't use IE, I just loathe those multi-level menus.

--
Berg

freemont

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 14:47:49 +0100, mrcakey writ:

> Just wondering how people handle the situation where you have a drop down
> menu and the user is using IE with Javascript turned off?

Sitemap.

--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
`..`-> freemont <-`..

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit freemont:

> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 14:47:49 +0100, mrcakey writ:
>
>> Just wondering how people handle the situation where you have a drop
>> down menu and the user is using IE with Javascript turned off?

> Sitemap.

So you mean you don't even know how to create a fallback menu? One more
reason to refrain from basing navigation on dropdown menus.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

freemont

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:03:09 +0300, Jukka K. Korpela writ:

> One more reason to refrain from basing navigation on dropdown menus.

Yep, I hate the damn things.