Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the same IIS process.

It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the same IIS process.

Dica

i keep getting "It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET
in the same IIS process." in my event logs. i know how to resolve the
problem, but i've got hundreds of web sites on my server.

is there a simple way of tracking down which site(s) are causing this error?

tks

Juan T. Llibre

Hi, Dica.

re:
!> is there a simple way of tracking down which site(s) are causing this error?

The likeliest culprit is the last application you configured.

If you don't recall which one that was, check the applications'
folder creation dates...and start checking the last apps created.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
======================================
"Dica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:OncDi.13497$bO6.6840@edtnps89...
>i keep getting "It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the same IIS process." in my event logs.
>i know how to resolve the problem, but i've got hundreds of web sites on my server.
>
> is there a simple way of tracking down which site(s) are causing this error?
>
> tks

Mike

Create a new app log under IIS one for .NET 1.x and one for .NET 2.0 and
then point your web apps to the correct app pool.

You can't run .NET 1.x and .NET 2.0 in the same app pool, they have to be
seperate.

"Dica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>i keep getting "It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET
>in the same IIS process." in my event logs. i know how to resolve the
>problem, but i've got hundreds of web sites on my server.
>
> is there a simple way of tracking down which site(s) are causing this
> error?
>
> tks

Mike

I meant App Pool under IIS not app log under IIS
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Create a new app log under IIS one for .NET 1.x and one for .NET 2.0 and
> then point your web apps to the correct app pool.
>
> You can't run .NET 1.x and .NET 2.0 in the same app pool, they have to be
> seperate.
>

> "Dica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>i keep getting "It is not possible to run two different versions of
>>ASP.NET in the same IIS process." in my event logs. i know how to resolve
>>the problem, but i've got hundreds of web sites on my server.
>>
>> is there a simple way of tracking down which site(s) are causing this
>> error?
>>
>> tks

Dica

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Dica.
>
> re:
> !> is there a simple way of tracking down which site(s) are causing this
> error?
>
> The likeliest culprit is the last application you configured.
>
> If you don't recall which one that was, check the applications'
> folder creation dates...and start checking the last apps created.

unfortunately, this started happening after we set up our new server and
manually set re-created all the IIS sites, so i really have no history to
work off.

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> "Dica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>i keep getting "It is not possible to run two different versions of
>>ASP.NET in the same IIS process." in my event logs. i know how to resolve
>>the problem, but i've got hundreds of web sites on my server.
>>
>> is there a simple way of tracking down which site(s) are causing this
>> error?
>>
>> tks

Dica

yeah, i was wondering about the log setting. i've created separate pools for
the dot net sites i know about, but wish the err logs were a little more
specific about which site is causing the problem.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I meant App Pool under IIS not app log under IIS
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Create a new app log under IIS one for .NET 1.x and one for .NET 2.0 and
>> then point your web apps to the correct app pool.
>>
>> You can't run .NET 1.x and .NET 2.0 in the same app pool, they have to be
>> seperate.
>>

>> "Dica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>i keep getting "It is not possible to run two different versions of
>>>ASP.NET in the same IIS process." in my event logs. i know how to resolve
>>>the problem, but i've got hundreds of web sites on my server.
>>>
>>> is there a simple way of tracking down which site(s) are causing this
>>> error?
>>>
>>> tks

Juan T. Llibre

It looks like your best recourse is running

aspnet_regiis -lk

....from any of the .Net Framework directories.

That will give you a list of applications and tell you whether
they are running under the .Net Framework 1.1 or 2.0.

Maybe something will jog your memory.

The lesson to be learned from your problem is that you should
keep a log of which applications run under which .Net Framework.

If you had that now, it would have saved you a lot of hassles.

"Dica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:gxgDi.30236$vP5.8721@edtnps90...
> yeah, i was wondering about the log setting. i've created separate pools for the dot net sites i know about, but wish
> the err logs were a little more specific about which site is causing the problem.
>

> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I meant App Pool under IIS not app log under IIS
>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Create a new app log under IIS one for .NET 1.x and one for .NET 2.0 and then point your web apps to the correct app
>>> pool.
>>>
>>> You can't run .NET 1.x and .NET 2.0 in the same app pool, they have to be seperate.

Alexey Smirnov

On Sep 4, 7:45 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It looks like your best recourse is running
>
> aspnet_regiis -lk

just want to add that you can find the name of the site in
system32\inetsvr\MetaBase.xml

aspnet_regiis -lk gives just an id from the IIS metabase

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> just want to add that you can find the name of the site in
!> system32\inetsvr\MetaBase.xml

....although sifting through all the info in MetaBase.xml could take some time

Maybe the IIS Resource Kit's Metabase Explorer could help ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840671

Download the IIS Resource Kit's Metabase Explorer from :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-ade629c89499

On Sep 4, 9:07 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> re:
> !> just want to add that you can find the name of the site in
> !> system32\inetsvr\MetaBase.xml
>
> ...although sifting through all the info in MetaBase.xml could take some time

Open in notepad, Ctrl+F

)