Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless networking

wireless networking

Dean

Hi i am having some trouble networking my laptop to my main
system. I have installed the software to my laptop and
they find each other. But when i try to connect to the
internet on the laptop through the main one it does not
connect. Also i can not see the shared files from either
system. Can any one help

Tony

"Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:04d301c4f278$b8fea530$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi i am having some trouble networking my laptop to my main
> system. I have installed the software to my laptop and
> they find each other. But when i try to connect to the
> internet on the laptop through the main one it does not
> connect. Also i can not see the shared files from either
> system. Can any one help

How are you connecting to the network? Through a router, switch, hub, cable
wireless, wireless access point, ad hoc set up?

Hi i have a wireless laptop adapter, i think i am set up on
ad hoc. i connect to the internet by usb broadband modem.

>.

Jack

Hi
Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
outer -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...wman_02april08.
mspx?pf=trueHi
Howvevr I might add that you would have a more flexible stable Network if
the whole thing is around a Wireless cable/DSL Router. 802.11b Wireless
Router can be found on sales for less than $20.

Your problem is the USB Modem (USB modem do not work with regular cable/DSL
Routers).

If you plan in the near future to enlarge your network you would need to
invest in an External Ethernet Modem, and if your Broadband is DSL I would
do it even for single computer.

DSL-PPPOE http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:133001c4f296$231dfac0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

Dean

hi thanks for the advice could i use a ADSL MODEM WITH
WIRELESS G ROUTER will this get round the problem.

Dean

Robert Jacobs

if you are using a USB modem you will have to use a proxy program loaded on
the computer connected to the mmodem in order to share your internet
connection. I once had the same setup and used wingate as my proxy and it
worked fine.

I suggest getting a modem with an ethernet connection though, it would make
your life alot easier.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
> outer -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...wman_02april08.
> mspx?pf=trueHi
> Howvevr I might add that you would have a more flexible stable Network if
> the whole thing is around a Wireless cable/DSL Router. 802.11b Wireless
> Router can be found on sales for less than $20.
>
> Your problem is the USB Modem (USB modem do not work with regular
> cable/DSL
> Routers).
>
> If you plan in the near future to enlarge your network you would need to
> invest in an External Ethernet Modem, and if your Broadband is DSL I would
> do it even for single computer.
>
> DSL-PPPOE http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:133001c4f296$231dfac0$(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?V2lja0Vk?=

Hi all! Apologies for hijacking this thread but I desperately need some help
please. My problem is that I set up a wireless internet connection, which
works just fine, and set up a network using the 'network setup wizard' as
opposed to the 'wireless network setup wizard' because the wireless setup
wizard will not run, it gives an error 'your network card does not support
wpa etc....' I know for a fact all the wireless hardware supports wpa. I use
wep and firewalls.
I am networking for file and printer sharing a PC (host) and a
laptop. As said before I have to use 'network setup wizard' to do this but if
i shut down my laptop I lose the network connection only, to files and
printers etc on my pc. I then have to reinstall network then all fine again.
My wireless network has to be setup using it's own configuration software
without any problems.
Wireless hardware is as follows: Netgear wgt624v2 (router) wg311t
(pci) and wg511t (pc card). As mentioned my prob is the loss of network
whenever I shut down laptop.Please help. Thank you all in advance