Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > autocomplete=off is not XHTML compliant

autocomplete=off is not XHTML compliant

Amil Hanish

I have a school test site where students enter answers. I want to disable
the auto complete feature. You can do this for IE via autocomplete=off to
the form or input control. But, this is not XHTML compliant. Does anyone
know how to disable this in a XHTML compliant manner?

Amil

Jesse Houwing

Hello Amil,

> I have a school test site where students enter answers. I want to
> disable the auto complete feature. You can do this for IE via
> autocomplete=off to the form or input control. But, this is not XHTML
> compliant. Does anyone know how to disable this in a XHTML compliant
> manner?
>
> Amil

Most of these features can also be controlled by a meta tag or a meta server
header. Not in this case it seems.

Microsoft documents the autocomplete feature here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...mplete_ovr.asp

If you want to stay xhtml compliant, then a solution using Javascript is
probably the easiest solution. Just set the autocomplete property of the
form or the input to off using script, and your HTML will still validate.
http://chrisholland.blogspot.com/200...y-disable.html

On the other hand, you could also ignore the warning.

As side note, Firefox does not honour the autocomplete=off tag in all versions.
They do however now recommend to deviate from the xhtml standard and use
the IE tag.
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...nt_Information

--
Jesse Houwing