Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The end of Olympus High Speed xD cards

The end of Olympus High Speed xD cards

My Olympus SP-550UZ camera uses xD cards and I have always bought the high
speed 'H' cards. I have always considered my camera slow compared to my
ancient 35mm camera. Now they have discontinued the high speed card and
only now sell the 'M' slower card. I would like to know if the speed of the
card really makes that big a difference in which case I should probably buy
up as many old stock cards as I can or if some other factor is limiting the
speed in which case the faster card might not actually make a difference.
Thanks.

ASAAR

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:22:12 +0100, Type M wrote:

> I would like to know if the speed of the card really makes that
> big a difference in which case I should probably buy up as many
> old stock cards as I can or if some other factor is limiting the speed
> in which case the faster card might not actually make a difference.

It shouldn't make much of a difference in the camera for still
shots. You may want to use the type H cards for shooting video
though, as well as for faster transfer in high speed card readers.

Bill Tuthill

ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:22:12 +0100, Type M wrote:
>> I would like to know if the speed of the card really makes that
>> big a difference in which case I should probably buy up as many
>> old stock cards as I can or if some other factor is limiting the speed
>> in which case the faster card might not actually make a difference.

> It shouldn't make much of a difference in the camera for still
> shots. You may want to use the type H cards for shooting video
> though, as well as for faster transfer in high speed card readers.

xD is a dying format. Olympus needs to switch ASAP, like Fujifilm did.

ASAAR

On 4 Sep 2007 09:49:11 -0700, Bill Tuthill wrote:

>> It shouldn't make much of a difference in the camera for still
>> shots. You may want to use the type H cards for shooting video
>> though, as well as for faster transfer in high speed card readers.

> xD is a dying format. Olympus needs to switch ASAP, like Fujifilm did.

Has that happened? AFAIK Fuji has recently added dual card
formats to its smaller line of cameras. Its larger cameras however
(S7xxx, S9xxx) as well as a number of cameras from Olympus (C-8080
for one) have also supported dual cards for several years. xD is the
common card type used, and either CF or SD is the other one used.
If, as someone recently posted, type H xD cards have been
discontinued, then I agree, xD as a format is on the way out (if
nothing will replace it). But other than in that one post, I
haven't read this anywhere else, and if it's true I'd think that it
would have been a hot news item.

nobody@nospam.com

On 4 Sep 2007 09:49:11 -0700, Bill Tuthill <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:22:12 +0100, Type M wrote:
>>> I would like to know if the speed of the card really makes that
>>> big a difference in which case I should probably buy up as many
>>> old stock cards as I can or if some other factor is limiting the speed
>>> in which case the faster card might not actually make a difference.

>> It shouldn't make much of a difference in the camera for still
>> shots. You may want to use the type H cards for shooting video
>> though, as well as for faster transfer in high speed card readers.

>xD is a dying format. Olympus needs to switch ASAP, like Fujifilm did.

Jeez, I've got an old oly with a smartmedia card in it. Now the xD
is going bye bye ? Heh heh, I guess Oly can pick'em eh ? Have they
fired the guys responsible or do they think it's making them money ?

ASAAR

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 03:10:27 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> xD is a dying format. Olympus needs to switch ASAP, like Fujifilm did.

> Jeez, I've got an old oly with a smartmedia card in it. Now the xD
> is going bye bye ? Heh heh, I guess Oly can pick'em eh ? Have they
> fired the guys responsible or do they think it's making them money ?

O Prescient Oly! Save your little SmartMedia cards. They may
work in the new Olys. Not recommended for video though.