Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTML comment affects page layout and speed

HTML comment affects page layout and speed

daxkent@gmail.com

Hello,

I have a page that is using some nested tables and nested divs.

Here are two examples to look at.
Please use IE as I can't duplicate the problem in Firefox.

http://www.iapzdevelopment.com/test/frame_test1.htm
http://www.iapzdevelopment.com/test/frame_test2.htm

Both pages are identical script with the only difference being an HTML
comment at the top of frame_test1.htm.
But check out the difference in speed when you mouseover Zone4 and
then mouseover Zone2, not to mention the extreme difference in
presentation.

How can a simple HTML comment at the top make so much difference????

Can somebody please help me with an explanation on why this is.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dax

Harlan Messinger

> Hello,
>
> I have a page that is using some nested tables and nested divs.
>
> Here are two examples to look at.
> Please use IE as I can't duplicate the problem in Firefox.
>
> http://www.iapzdevelopment.com/test/frame_test1.htm
> http://www.iapzdevelopment.com/test/frame_test2.htm
>
> Both pages are identical script with the only difference being an HTML
> comment at the top of frame_test1.htm.

Which precedes the DOCTYPE declaration, and I guess IE is treating the
page as lacking a DOCTYPE declaration because content appeared before it
found one.

> But check out the difference in speed when you mouseover Zone4 and
> then mouseover Zone2, not to mention the extreme difference in
> presentation.
>
> How can a simple HTML comment at the top make so much difference????

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 03 Sep 2007 20:06:48 GMT
Harlan Messinger scribed:

>> I have a page that is using some nested tables and nested divs.
>>
>> Here are two examples to look at.
>> Please use IE as I can't duplicate the problem in Firefox.
>>
>> http://www.iapzdevelopment.com/test/frame_test1.htm
>> http://www.iapzdevelopment.com/test/frame_test2.htm
>>
>> Both pages are identical script with the only difference being an HTML
>> comment at the top of frame_test1.htm.

> Which precedes the DOCTYPE declaration, and I guess IE is treating the
> page as lacking a DOCTYPE declaration because content appeared before it
> found one.

Yep, I do that deliberately sometimes to fudge something thru ie6.

--
Neredbojias