Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Removable CD drive / floppy drive not recognised

Removable CD drive / floppy drive not recognised

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

This is on a Panasonic toughbook CF29. When you insert the removable
CD drive it doesnt recognise it - running Windows 2000.

Any ideas what would be the first thing to check?

Lars

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 10:20:28 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is on a Panasonic toughbook CF29. When you insert the removable
>CD drive it doesnt recognise it - running Windows 2000.
>
>Any ideas what would be the first thing to check?

Are you saying that neither CD nor floppy drive are recognised?

Insert a bootable CD/Floppy and see if you can boot to Dos.

I had a similar problem with a Thinkpad T23 some time ago. Windows XP
would not recognise the CD player, but Dos did. Then at least I knew
it was not a hardware problem.

Re-installing windows on top did not fix it. Fortunately I had a Ghost
image of the Windows partition so I could restore it. It works fine
now, but it is a bit frustrating I never really found out what was
wrong with it.

Lars
Stockholm

Kraftee

> This is on a Panasonic toughbook CF29. When you insert the removable
> CD drive it doesnt recognise it - running Windows 2000.
>
> Any ideas what would be the first thing to check?

Tried rebooting it?

I know mine requires a reboot when changing the drives or even just
inserting the CD/DVD drive.

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

On 4 Sep, 21:14, "Kraftee" <kraftee@b&e-cottee.me.uk> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > This is on a Panasonic toughbook CF29. When you insert the removable
> > CD drive it doesnt recognise it - running Windows 2000.

> > Any ideas what would be the first thing to check?

> Tried rebooting it?
>
> I know mine requires a reboot when changing the drives or even just
> inserting the CD/DVD drive.

Yes. Since found out that it does need a reboot so thats fair enough...

dumbneasy

And I've got a CF-35 with the CD but no floppy. My computer doesn't see it
either. It has something to do with the bios, which is so old it doesn't
have a control for CD-rom or USB port. It will not let me reconfigure com
ports. I tried to update the bios but it wouldn't let me. Bummer! Does
anyonje know if any other CF- Toughbook bios might work in the 35?

Thank you

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...