Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > AWLP turns your PC into web-managed wireless access gateway

AWLP turns your PC into web-managed wireless access gateway

Alp

Greetings. I would like to inform you about an open-source project
I developed in Perl, using Slackware distro, HostAP driver and utilities,
that turns your PC with Prism2/2.5/3 wireless LAN card into a
full-featured web-managed wireless access gateway.

AWLP has pretty much all the features you would expect from
an off-the-shelf wireless access gateway like DHCP server,
caching-only DNS server, ACL, etc.

I belive AWLP is useful for a wide range of users:
- Academicians can use it for wireless experiment setups
- Developers can add/change its features
- Home users can set it up for their broadband connection sharing needs
- Small caffes and restaruants can use it as a simple hotspot box

I have tried to be loyal to Slackware distro as much as I can.
Actually, the only major modification was to set couple of suid
and guid permission bits so that AWLP can be web-managed.
Staying loyal to Slackware pays-off when time comes for package
upgrades. You can easily add/upgrade/remove packages using standard
Slackware package tools (installpkg, upgradepkg, removepkg).

Project's Web Site:
http://awlp.sourceforge.net/

Screenshosts:
https://sourceforge.net/project/scre...roup_id=127028

Photos of an example setup:
(Worked as the wireless access gateway for 12-days without a problem)
http://awlp.sourceforge.net/photos/metu-ie/index.html

I hope you can find the time to review this open-source project
sometime. If you don't, however, I will be happy to know that you are
aware of it.

Best Regards,

Alptekin Cakircali
http://www.cakircali.com/alptekin