Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Can't figure out simple routing between 2 Windows domains

Can't figure out simple routing between 2 Windows domains

Chris Allen

I apologize for such a newbie question, but I'm not a routing person
but because of staffing issues and some stringent time pressures I
have to implement this myself.

I'm lost on how to get a very simple routing setup working for 2
Windows domains. The first domain is domain1.com on subnet
192.168.1.0/24 and is on the 1st floor of the building, on the second
floor I have domain2.com with a subnet of 192.168.2.0/24. The two
networks are physically connected with a single ethernet cable. I
have set up a trust relationship between the two domains, but I can't
figure out how to make it work.

At first I thought I could just directly connect each switch in each
network together with the cable running between them. But this didn't
work because the computers on the two domains are on different
subnets. So now I'm thinking all I need is a router with a static
routing table set up. I'm not sure how to set this up or if this is
the correct solution. Merging the two subnets is not an option
either... I'm confused on how to do a routing setup that would work,
and all of the examples on the internet I can find with static routes
show two routers, one on each network. Do I have to have 2 routers to
do this? It seems excessive for such a simple setup, and I'm very
tight on money at the moment. Also I don't need any kind of fancy
firewalling between the networks, I want all traffic destined for one
to transparently be routed to the other and vice versa. Any kind of
help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Merv

A single router with two Ethernet / FastEthernet interfaces will
suffice - one interface cabled to each switch.

All PC will have need to have their IP default gateway configured
properly in order to send "off-net" packets to the router for
forwarding.

Since both subnets will be connected to the same router you should not
require any static routes as the router will have an IP address
assignment in each subnet and thus will know how to reach the two
subnets.

You could try starting out with a Windows-based PC into which you
install an extra Ethernet NIC and then enable IP routing.

Chris Bartram

Chris Allen wrote:
> I apologize for such a newbie question, but I'm not a routing person
> but because of staffing issues and some stringent time pressures I
> have to implement this myself.
>
> I'm lost on how to get a very simple routing setup working for 2
> Windows domains. The first domain is domain1.com on subnet
> 192.168.1.0/24 and is on the 1st floor of the building, on the second
> floor I have domain2.com with a subnet of 192.168.2.0/24. The two
> networks are physically connected with a single ethernet cable. I
> have set up a trust relationship between the two domains, but I can't
> figure out how to make it work.
>
> At first I thought I could just directly connect each switch in each
> network together with the cable running between them. But this didn't
> work because the computers on the two domains are on different
> subnets. So now I'm thinking all I need is a router with a static
> routing table set up. I'm not sure how to set this up or if this is
> the correct solution. Merging the two subnets is not an option
> either... I'm confused on how to do a routing setup that would work,
> and all of the examples on the internet I can find with static routes
> show two routers, one on each network. Do I have to have 2 routers to
> do this? It seems excessive for such a simple setup, and I'm very
> tight on money at the moment. Also I don't need any kind of fancy
> firewalling between the networks, I want all traffic destined for one
> to transparently be routed to the other and vice versa. Any kind of
> help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You need one router with an interface in each network.

As the link is ethernet, this could be as simple as adding a network
card to one of the windows box and joining the two subnets/switches (and
ethernet segments) at that box, giving each card an IP in the right
network, and turning on routing. That's a pretty nasty way to do it, but
sosts very little, and should be easy. You then set the default gateway
of each subnet to be the IP of the windows box.

Alternatively, if the switches you have have the required software, you
could turn on routing on one switch- but that's a bit harder if you
don't know how to do it, and relies on you having capable software.

Merv

OBTW what is the make and model of the two Ethernet switches ?

Chris Allen

Thanks for the response. In my case both networks also have their own
internet connections, which is the default gateway on each host on
each network.

So in order for a PC on 192.168.1.0 to talk to a PC on 192.168.2.0
with the router having address' 192.168.1.62 and 192.168.2.62 I'd add
a static route like so?:

add route 192.168.2.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.62

I've got an Allied Telesyn AR-410 router that should do the routing.
But, why would the router just magically forward packets from one
network to the other? Just because it's multihomed it will
automatically route packets from net1 on nic1 and net2 on nic2? This
is what is really confusing to me... From looking at the manual it
seems to be that case that to enable routing you need to enable RIP,
or OSPF, BGP, or add static routing entries.

On Sep 3, 8:05 am, Merv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A single router with two Ethernet / FastEthernet interfaces will
> suffice - one interface cabled to each switch.
>
> All PC will have need to have their IP default gateway configured
> properly in order to send "off-net" packets to the router for
> forwarding.
>
> Since both subnets will be connected to the same router you should not
> require any static routes as the router will have an IP address
> assignment in each subnet and thus will know how to reach the two
> subnets.
>
> You could try starting out with a Windows-based PC into which you
> install an extra Ethernet NIC and then enable IP routing.

Chris Allen

> You need one router with an interface in each network.
>
> As the link is ethernet, this could be as simple as adding a network
> card to one of the windows box and joining the two subnets/switches (and
> ethernet segments) at that box, giving each card an IP in the right
> network, and turning on routing. That's a pretty nasty way to do it, but
> sosts very little, and should be easy. You then set the default gateway
> of each subnet to be the IP of the windows box.
>
> Alternatively, if the switches you have have the required software, you
> could turn on routing on one switch- but that's a bit harder if you
> don't know how to do it, and relies on you having capable software.

Thanks. I do have a router so I'm going to try and use it. But this
is very handy information in case I need a fallback plan. Thanks
again.

Chris Bartram

Chris Allen wrote:
> Thanks for the response. In my case both networks also have their own
> internet connections, which is the default gateway on each host on
> each network.
>
> So in order for a PC on 192.168.1.0 to talk to a PC on 192.168.2.0
> with the router having address' 192.168.1.62 and 192.168.2.62 I'd add
> a static route like so?:
>
> add route 192.168.2.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.62

No, no need. If the router has an address in 192.168.1.x and
192.168.2.x, and the PCs have that as it's default gateway, it'll just work.

> I've got an Allied Telesyn AR-410 router that should do the routing.
> But, why would the router just magically forward packets from one
> network to the other? Just because it's multihomed it will
> automatically route packets from net1 on nic1 and net2 on nic2?

Yep, provided the mask is right. That's what the subnet mask is for- it
defines what ranges of addresses are valid on that interface.

> This
> is what is really confusing to me... From looking at the manual it
> seems to be that case that to enable routing you need to enable RIP,
> or OSPF, BGP, or add static routing entries.

It should just work, as it has interfaces in both subnets. It's only if
you needed to route elsewhere as well that you need static routes (or a
dynamic routing protocol like RIP).