Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > How does it know its VOIP - or does it

How does it know its VOIP - or does it

Dave Saville

If I dial the PSTN number assigned to a VOIP phone from another VOIP
phone does it know it is IP to IP or would it treat it as a land line
call? Or do you need to set up the call differently?

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Tim

Dave Saville wrote:
> If I dial the PSTN number assigned to a VOIP phone from another VOIP
> phone does it know it is IP to IP or would it treat it as a land line
> call? Or do you need to set up the call differently?

In most cases, the call will get treated like a landline call. Into
your SIP service provider and back out again.

To me, it doesn't really matter how the call gets there. Whether you
get charged for the call, is a different matter.

Within the same SIP service provider, it is dependant on their policy.
For example, if you dial 01484 840048 from Gradwell you won't get
charged. Gradwell don't charge for internal calls.

There is a system called enum, which isn't officially active in the UK.
This allows you to lookup the SIP address of a phone number, therefore
always routing the call over SIP. Until various people pull their
fingers out for the official service, then you can use enum by
registering on e164.org

Tim

Ivor Jones

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46dbcb77$0$646$(E-Mail Removed)
: : Dave Saville wrote:
: : : If I dial the PSTN number assigned to a VOIP phone
: : : from another VOIP phone does it know it is IP to IP
: : : or would it treat it as a land line call? Or do you
: : : need to set up the call differently?
: :
: : In most cases, the call will get treated like a
: : landline call. Into your SIP service provider and back
: : out again.
: :
: : To me, it doesn't really matter how the call gets
: : there. Whether you get charged for the call, is a
: : different matter.
: :
: : Within the same SIP service provider, it is dependant
: : on their policy. For example, if you dial 01484 840048
: : from Gradwell you won't get charged. Gradwell don't
: : charge for internal calls.

You usually have to dial a prefix code. For example from Sipgate to
Gradwell you dial 000393 then the Gradwell SIP number. The other way
around is a little more complex, you dial **777 then the full PSTN number
in international form but dropping the 00 i.e. **777442070431320 (that's
the number of my speaking clock, feel free to try it..!)

: : There is a system called enum, which isn't officially
: : active in the UK. This allows you to lookup the SIP
: : address of a phone number, therefore always routing the
: : call over SIP. Until various people pull their
: : fingers out for the official service, then you can use
: : enum by registering on e164.org

That's another alternative but I've never managed to get it to work
properly, maybe it's me.

Don't forget also that some VoIP providers block access to SIP calls from
other providers.

Ivor

Roger Mills

Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dave Saville wrote:
>> If I dial the PSTN number assigned to a VOIP phone from another VOIP
>> phone does it know it is IP to IP or would it treat it as a land line
>> call? Or do you need to set up the call differently?

> In most cases, the call will get treated like a landline call. Into
> your SIP service provider and back out again.
>
> To me, it doesn't really matter how the call gets there. Whether you
> get charged for the call, is a different matter.
>
> Within the same SIP service provider, it is dependant on their policy.
> For example, if you dial 01484 840048 from Gradwell you won't get
> charged. Gradwell don't charge for internal calls.
>

> There is a system called enum, which isn't officially active in the
> UK. This allows you to lookup the SIP address of a phone number,
> therefore always routing the call over SIP. Until various people
> pull their fingers out for the official service, then you can use
> enum by registering on e164.org
>

> Tim

What does a SIP address look like? I've got a couple of SIP 6-digit 'user
names' allocated by voip.co.uk - but I assume that they are specific to that
supplier, and not unique in the world?

They seem to be linked to my SIP phone numbers with a string: {SIP#}@{My WAN
IP address}:{Port#}

Is some/all of that my external SIP address?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Andy Burns

On 03/09/2007 09:53, Tim wrote:

> There is a system called enum,

[snip]

> Until various people pull their fingers out

You might as well wait until turkeys vote for christmas

Tim

Roger Mills wrote:
> What does a SIP address look like? I've got a couple of SIP 6-digit 'user
> names' allocated by voip.co.uk - but I assume that they are specific to that
> supplier, and not unique in the world?

like

Tim

Tim

Andy Burns wrote:
> You might as well wait until turkeys vote for christmas

I know that Nominet have tendered to run the enum service.]

In the mean time, e164.org works fine.

Tim

Thomas Kenyon

Tim wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>> You might as well wait until turkeys vote for christmas

> I know that Nominet have tendered to run the enum service.]

I thought they were losing the fight. Wasn't there a closed beta test
where nominet got a number range and so did 2 other companies (finished
in 2004 iirc). I think the whole thing is silly, it's as if there's an
obsession with the need to have as many people trying to make money from
it as possible.

> In the mean time, e164.org works fine.
>
> Tim

Andy Burns

On 03/09/2007 13:10, Tim wrote:

> In the mean time, e164.org works fine.

Interesting ... I've just tried a lookup with dig, if +44 116 is a
non-existand domain, does that just mean nobody in Leicester has
registered a number with E164.org?

> ; <<>> DiG 9.4.1-P1 <<>> @hemlock.e164.org. -t NAPTR 6.1.1.4.4.e164.org.
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 65496
> ;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
> ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;6.1.1.4.4.e164.org. IN NAPTR
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> e164.org. 600 IN SOA hemlock.e164.org. support.e164.org. 1188830811 60 30 604800 86400
>
> ;; Query time: 202 msec
> ;; SERVER: 204.50.80.13#53(204.50.80.13)
> ;; WHEN: Mon Sep 3 16:01:14 2007
> ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 96

Is registration normally done by the number block owner (i.e VOIP
gateway owner) or by the individual number owner, in which case how do
you establish "ownership" of the relevant zone underneath
6.1.1.4.4.e164.org?

Roger Mills

Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Roger Mills wrote:
>> What does a SIP address look like? I've got a couple of SIP 6-digit
>> 'user names' allocated by voip.co.uk - but I assume that they are
>> specific to that supplier, and not unique in the world?

> like
>
> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> Tim

So what distinguishes that from an email address?
--
Cheers,
Roger