Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vista won't read data CD with Russian title

Vista won't read data CD with Russian title

sallywelsh@mindspring.com

My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
how to get past this? Thanks.

Ponder

Hiya http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).

In <news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com> you wrote:

> My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
> student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
> and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
> Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
> how to get past this? Thanks.

Maybe it's detected the Code Red virus

On a more serious note, can the CD be read on any other computer/OS? If
so then make a copy of files only using that other computer. If not then
the CD itself may be corrupt.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
> student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
> and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
> Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
> how to get past this? Thanks.

I've not run into this one, but has your friend tried installing a
Cyrillic font?

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
> student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
> and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
> Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
> how to get past this? Thanks.

Give it to a Mac user.
They won't have any trouble.

Vanguard

sallywelsh wrote ...
> My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
> student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
> and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in
> Russian--
> Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any
> idea
> how to get past this? Thanks.

Were these picture or movie discs? From
http://preview.tinyurl.com/23fdnm:

Region Protection Coding (RPC) of DVD Discs is a feature that is
supported on DVD Players and is used with DVD-Video Discs (i.e.
movies). Currently, the motion picture industry has divided the world
into different regional "zones." These regions or "zones" correlate to
the regional markets into which the motion picture industry releases
movies.

Simply put, RPC Codes are placed on Movie Discs marketed
throughout the world based on the region of the world where they are
being sold. These RPC codes help to control and prevent the pirating
of new release movies into other motion picture market regions prior
to their true release dates within those markets. The CD-RW/DVD-ROM
drive supports the current RPC phase 2 industry specifications.

The drive's regional code is set to the code found on the first
DVD video disc that you load into your drive. The regional code will
change if another DVD video disc from another region is inserted. Your
CD-RW/DVD-ROM allows the regional code to change four times. The fifth
time a different regional coded DVD is inserted, your drive will be
permanently set to that regional code.

=?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Vanguard wrote:
> sallywelsh wrote ...
>> My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
>> student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
>> and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
>> Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
>> how to get past this? Thanks.

> Were these picture or movie discs? From http://preview.tinyurl.com/23fdnm:

"This is a multi-part message in MIME format."

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

--
Phoebe
http://wanderingspace.net/wp-content...e_portrait.jpg

Vanguard

"Rgr" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> "This is a multi-part message in MIME format."

Yeah, I just noticed upon returning here that there was a spacer.gif
attached to my post. I didn't add it. Yet I see there is a MIME part
for it. I post in plain-text mode (i.e., OE is configured to use MIME
but encoding of text is set to "None"). It's been like that for
years. I have the option disabled to reply in the same format as the
original message (i.e., I want to post in my own selected format, and
for NNTP that is plain-text). My other posts have headers like:

And they have no MIME parts. This post had:

Don't know what changed yet. I haven't a clue yet as to why there
would ever be a MIME part in my post or where spacer.gif came from
(there are multiple copies of this file on my drives but they are for
VisualStudio, scanner GUI, ArcSoft PhotoStudio, VMWare, and Windows
help system).

It almost looks like some web beacon since the GIF's dimensions are
1x1 (just 1 pixel in size). The image's location is
http://sdd.toshiba.com/images/spacer.gif. I don't have hardware or
software from Toshiba. I've run anti-malware scans using:

AVG anti-virus
AVG AntiSpyware (ewido)
Spybot S&D
SuperAntiSpyware
Windows Defender

No pests found by these. Maybe I accidentally dragged or pasted
something into the new-mail window. My eyes are itchy so it must be
time for sleep. See what happens later.

Vanguard

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "Rgr" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>
>> "This is a multi-part message in MIME format."

> Yeah, I just noticed upon returning here that there was a spacer.gif
> attached to my post. I didn't add it. Yet I see there is a MIME
> part for it. I post in plain-text mode (i.e., OE is configured to
> use MIME but encoding of text is set to "None"). It's been like
> that for years. I have the option disabled to reply in the same
> format as the original message (i.e., I want to post in my own
> selected format, and for NNTP that is plain-text). My other posts
> have headers like:

> And they have no MIME parts. This post had:

> Don't know what changed yet. I haven't a clue yet as to why there
> would ever be a MIME part in my post or where spacer.gif came from
> (there are multiple copies of this file on my drives but they are
> for VisualStudio, scanner GUI, ArcSoft PhotoStudio, VMWare, and
> Windows help system).
>
> It almost looks like some web beacon since the GIF's dimensions are
> 1x1 (just 1 pixel in size). The image's location is
> http://sdd.toshiba.com/images/spacer.gif. I don't have hardware or
> software from Toshiba. I've run anti-malware scans using:
>
> AVG anti-virus
> AVG AntiSpyware (ewido)
> Spybot S&D
> SuperAntiSpyware
> Windows Defender
>
> No pests found by these. Maybe I accidentally dragged or pasted
> something into the new-mail window. My eyes are itchy so it must be
> time for sleep. See what happens later.

Aha! Didn't happen this time. Bet I know what happened: I copied and
pasted the info about regional codes and maybe it included the
spacer.gif file from the HTML-formatted web page.

Paul Gorodyansky

Hello!

On Sep 2, 12:58 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
> student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
> and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
> Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
> how to get past this? Thanks.

Yes, file names are deep-system things and depend on System Code Page
("Western", "Cyrillic", "Japanese",etc.), for example
- German file names would have same trouble under computer where
system code page is Cyrillic or Japanese

There is a solution for "Western" code page computer (especially for
computer that currently has just English file names and not German or
French) -
temporarily change System Code Page to Cyrillic while working with
those files:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...ll_e.htm#Vista

--
Regards,