Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vista won't read data CD with Russian title

Vista won't read data CD with Russian title

Gary Xen

Paul Gorodyansky wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Sep 2, 12:58 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
>> student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
>> and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
>> Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
>> how to get past this? Thanks.

> Yes, file names are deep-system things and depend on System Code Page
> ("Western", "Cyrillic", "Japanese",etc.), for example
> - German file names would have same trouble under computer where
> system code page is Cyrillic or Japanese
>
> There is a solution for "Western" code page computer (especially for
> computer that currently has just English file names and not German or
> French) -
> temporarily change System Code Page to Cyrillic while working with
> those files:
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...ll_e.htm#Vista
>
> --
> Regards,
> Paul Gorodyansky
> "Cyrillic (Russian): instructions for Windows and Internet":
> http://RusWin.net

Vista is a bad OS. No more and no less. Use at least XP. Or Apple.
Or PCLOS, the oasis.

Greetings Gary.

Paul Gorodyansky

On Sep 3, 7:22 am, Gary Xen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Vista is a bad OS. No more and no less. Use at least XP.

Windows XP or 2003 or 2000 has _exactly_ same problem and same
solution could be used as one covered in my previous post. Again, the
issue is NOT Russian-specific, same issue exists for any language
except English -
German, Spanish, Japanese, etc. Details on the page I pointed to in my
1st message here ( http://RusWin.net/full.htm )

--
Regards,
Paul