Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Occasionally automatic DSL connection -- why?

Occasionally automatic DSL connection -- why?

*alan*

Using XP Pro SP2. I do *not* have the system set up to make a DSL
connection upon startup. Opening Firefox or OE will open the connection; for
other programs (WinMX, emule, spybot and AVG updates, etc) I have to first
manually make the DSL connection.

However, once in a great while --- maybe every 2-3 months --- after having
turned my computer on and gone to make my morning coffee, I'll come back to
find that DSL is connected. No other strange behavior is apparent, and both
up-to-date SpyBot and AVG tell me my system is clean.

Any ideas as to why this occurs? Is it something to be concerned about?

Thanks for your answers.

--
alan

Mike Easter

*alan* wrote:
> Using XP Pro SP2. I do *not* have the system set up to make a DSL
> connection upon startup. Opening Firefox or OE will open the
> connection; for other programs (WinMX, emule, spybot and AVG updates,
> etc) I have to first manually make the DSL connection.
>
> However, once in a great while --- maybe every 2-3 months --- after
> having turned my computer on and gone to make my morning coffee, I'll
> come back to find that DSL is connected. No other strange behavior
> is apparent, and both up-to-date SpyBot and AVG tell me my system is
> clean.
>
> Any ideas as to why this occurs? Is it something to be concerned
> about?

My first theory would be that it is just a glitch. My second theory
would be that you have a trojan installed which needs to use the
connectivity to send some spam or some probes, so it hooks up.

Negative AVG & SpyBot isn't important information to contradict the 2nd
theory.

The goodnews is that your IP isn't currently listed in any known
proxytrojan spamsource databases or DShield's amassed intrusion detector
system.

--
Mike Easter

Evan Platt

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 07:50:32 -0700, "*alan*" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Using XP Pro SP2. I do *not* have the system set up to make a DSL
>connection upon startup. Opening Firefox or OE will open the connection; for
>other programs (WinMX, emule, spybot and AVG updates, etc) I have to first
>manually make the DSL connection.
>
>However, once in a great while --- maybe every 2-3 months --- after having
>turned my computer on and gone to make my morning coffee, I'll come back to
>find that DSL is connected. No other strange behavior is apparent, and both
>up-to-date SpyBot and AVG tell me my system is clean.
>
>Any ideas as to why this occurs? Is it something to be concerned about?

So I'm guessing you have a non always on DSL - PPPOE?

Could be any of a hundred different things - Time sync, Automatic
Updates, etc.

*alan*

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> *alan* wrote:
>> Using XP Pro SP2. I do *not* have the system set up to make a DSL
>> connection upon startup. Opening Firefox or OE will open the
>> connection; for other programs (WinMX, emule, spybot and AVG updates,
>> etc) I have to first manually make the DSL connection.
>>
>> However, once in a great while --- maybe every 2-3 months --- after
>> having turned my computer on and gone to make my morning coffee, I'll
>> come back to find that DSL is connected. No other strange behavior
>> is apparent, and both up-to-date SpyBot and AVG tell me my system is
>> clean.
>>
>> Any ideas as to why this occurs? Is it something to be concerned
>> about?

> My first theory would be that it is just a glitch. My second theory
> would be that you have a trojan installed which needs to use the
> connectivity to send some spam or some probes, so it hooks up.
>
> Negative AVG & SpyBot isn't important information to contradict the 2nd
> theory.
>
> The goodnews is that your IP isn't currently listed in any known
> proxytrojan spamsource databases or DShield's amassed intrusion detector
> system.

I'd certainly rather go with the "glitch" theory, and you've made me a
little less anxious about it by letting me know that my IP isn't on any
known trojan list. I'm thinking, too, that the sporadic and infrequent
occurrence would argue against trojan connection --- wouldn't a trojan be
connecting a lot more frequently and regularly? Or is that a false
assumption?
--
alan

Evan Platt

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 08:05:01 -0700, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The goodnews is that your IP isn't currently listed in any known
>proxytrojan spamsource databases or DShield's amassed intrusion detector
>system.

Well, the OP is on a PPPoE connection, so his IP could change ..
now... tomorrow... a week, who knows.

*alan*

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 07:50:32 -0700, "*alan*" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Using XP Pro SP2. I do *not* have the system set up to make a DSL
>>connection upon startup. Opening Firefox or OE will open the connection;
>>for
>>other programs (WinMX, emule, spybot and AVG updates, etc) I have to first
>>manually make the DSL connection.
>>
>>However, once in a great while --- maybe every 2-3 months --- after having
>>turned my computer on and gone to make my morning coffee, I'll come back
>>find that DSL is connected. No other strange behavior is apparent, and
>>both
>>up-to-date SpyBot and AVG tell me my system is clean.
>>
>>Any ideas as to why this occurs? Is it something to be concerned about?

> So I'm guessing you have a non always on DSL - PPPOE?
>
> Could be any of a hundred different things - Time sync, Automatic
> Updates, etc.

Sorry --- I'm not at all computer-savvy. I have no idea what you mean by "a
non always on DSL - PPPOE", and don't know how to find out if I do have it.
I either manually connect or get automatically connected when I use certain
programs. The DSL modem is always on, though, if that's what you mean.

These auto-initiated connections are much less frequent (every 2-3 months)
than Time Sync, and they don't coincide with automatic updates (which is set
for notify only), so maybe one of 98 different things . . . .?
--
alan

Evan Platt

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:41:26 -0700, "*alan*" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Sorry --- I'm not at all computer-savvy. I have no idea what you mean by "a
>non always on DSL - PPPOE", and don't know how to find out if I do have it.
>I either manually connect or get automatically connected when I use certain
>programs. The DSL modem is always on, though, if that's what you mean.
>
>These auto-initiated connections are much less frequent (every 2-3 months)
>than Time Sync, and they don't coincide with automatic updates (which is set
>for notify only), so maybe one of 98 different things . . . .?

If you have to do something to connect to the internet, it's not
"Always On". It sounds like it's likely PPPoE.

So.. As I said, could be hundreds of different things. A program you
install could be 'phoning home' to check for updates. Even if the
program isn't running so to speak, the program could be running in the
background.

John Holmes

Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Even if the
> program isn't running so to speak, the program could be running in the
> background.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
You ****ing idiot. Even if the program isn't running, it might be running
in the background, eh?

--
Your mother was a total fiend who took pride in her adulterous demeanour up
scaffolding.