Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Data recovery from external hard drive..

Data recovery from external hard drive..

the_niner_nation

Hi..I have an Maxtor II hard disk (300gb) ( and very probably the single
most WORST data storage brand known) that I use for my lap top ( running
winxp home).

The data on the external drive is now not 'available', I get the ' the file
or directory is corrupted and unreadable' error message.

Is there any way of recovering the data on this hard disk before I throw the
useless piece of junk out of my window?

In windows explorer, it shows up fine, and even when i right-click on it, it
displays correct properties ( apart from stating that this is a **** hard
drive brand).

Is there any software that might be able to salvage the 'lost' data?

Thanks in advance..

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"the_niner_nation" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi..I have an Maxtor II hard disk (300gb) ( and very probably the single
>most WORST data storage brand known) that I use for my lap top ( running
>winxp home).
>
>The data on the external drive is now not 'available', I get the ' the file
>or directory is corrupted and unreadable' error message.
>
>Is there any way of recovering the data on this hard disk before I throw the
>useless piece of junk out of my window?
>
>In windows explorer, it shows up fine, and even when i right-click on it, it
>displays correct properties ( apart from stating that this is a **** hard
>drive brand).
>
>Is there any software that might be able to salvage the 'lost' data?

Did you use MaxiBlast to install or ready your HD? If so a copy of the
MBR was made, run Maxiblast again to use it. - it could work,

There is also recovery software with Maxiblast, I haven't ever had a
problem with Maxtor, had an old (80meg) scsi Seagate actually take out
an AmigA mother board but that's about it.
--
The Way Of All Flesh
http://tbl.squareamerica.com/archive...ay_of_all.html

Slacker

"the_niner_nation" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46da029f$0$19694$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi..I have an Maxtor II hard disk (300gb) ( and very probably the single
> most WORST data storage brand known) that I use for my lap top ( running
> winxp home).
>
> The data on the external drive is now not 'available', I get the ' the
> file or directory is corrupted and unreadable' error message.
>
> Is there any way of recovering the data on this hard disk before I throw
> the useless piece of junk out of my window?
>
> In windows explorer, it shows up fine, and even when i right-click on it,
> it displays correct properties ( apart from stating that this is a ****
> hard drive brand).
>
> Is there any software that might be able to salvage the 'lost' data?
>
> Thanks in advance..

I'm curious-- with a sample size of 1, don't you think you're
overgeneralizing on the quality of Maxtor hard drives?

Mara

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:52:48 -0400, "Slacker" <Slacker@> wrote:

>"the_niner_nation" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:46da029f$0$19694$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Hi..I have an Maxtor II hard disk (300gb) ( and very probably the single
>> most WORST data storage brand known) that I use for my lap top ( running
>> winxp home).
>>
>> The data on the external drive is now not 'available', I get the ' the
>> file or directory is corrupted and unreadable' error message.
>>
>> Is there any way of recovering the data on this hard disk before I throw
>> the useless piece of junk out of my window?
>>
>> In windows explorer, it shows up fine, and even when i right-click on it,
>> it displays correct properties ( apart from stating that this is a ****
>> hard drive brand).
>>
>> Is there any software that might be able to salvage the 'lost' data?
>>
>> Thanks in advance..
>>

>I'm curious-- with a sample size of 1, don't you think you're
>overgeneralizing on the quality of Maxtor hard drives?

I believe so, since I have 7 of them and have never had a single problem with
any of them.

--
People in the computer industry use the word "user", which to them
means "idiot". -Dave Barry

wisdomkiller & pain

the_niner_nation wrote:

> Hi..I have an Maxtor II hard disk (300gb) ( and very probably the single
> most WORST data storage brand known) that I use for my lap top ( running
> winxp home).
>
> The data on the external drive is now not 'available', I get the ' the
> file or directory is corrupted and unreadable' error message.

You did try chkdsk, did you?

> Is there any way of recovering the data on this hard disk before I throw
> the useless piece of junk out of my window?

Ontrack easy recovery, or (freeware) pc doctor file recovery. You may, for
raw recovery, pull the drive out of the enclosure and plug a standard ide
cable in.

> In windows explorer, it shows up fine, and even when i right-click on it,
> it displays correct properties ( apart from stating that this is a ****
> hard drive brand).

Maxtors or ibms or matsushitas or whatever .... do you really think there is
much difference for consumer grade, enclosure mounted, chronically
overheated harddrives?

the_niner_nation

"wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> the_niner_nation wrote:
>
>> Hi..I have an Maxtor II hard disk (300gb) ( and very probably the single
>> most WORST data storage brand known) that I use for my lap top ( running
>> winxp home).
>>
>> The data on the external drive is now not 'available', I get the ' the
>> file or directory is corrupted and unreadable' error message.
>>

> You did try chkdsk, did you?
>
>> Is there any way of recovering the data on this hard disk before I throw
>> the useless piece of junk out of my window?
>>

> Ontrack easy recovery, or (freeware) pc doctor file recovery. You may, for
> raw recovery, pull the drive out of the enclosure and plug a standard ide
> cable in.
>
>> In windows explorer, it shows up fine, and even when i right-click on it,
>> it displays correct properties ( apart from stating that this is a ****
>> hard drive brand).
>>

> Maxtors or ibms or matsushitas or whatever .... do you really think there
> is
> much difference for consumer grade, enclosure mounted, chronically
> overheated harddrives?

thanks..Ontrack recovery worked beautifully. Im not sure what difference
there is in consumer hard drives, but when maxtor tech services refuses to
aknowledge fault with their ( hoplessly shitty ) product, theres nothing
else except to take the offending piece of **** ( which is, a maxtor drive)
and give it to my local PC world for safe disposal.

I will never ever ever purchase a maxtor product again and will do my utmost
to disuade anyone i know from buying such worthless,garbage lableled as a
hard disk by this comical brand.

Neil

To salvage your lost data get Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery
Software. Stellar phoenix is a file and partition recovery utility
which provides recovery of lost data because of file/directory
deletion, accidental format, viruses, software malfunction or even
sabotage.
Product information: http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm
Download: http://www.stellarinfo.com/spwdr.exe

wisdomkiller & pain

the_niner_nation wrote:

> thanks..Ontrack recovery worked beautifully. Im not sure what difference
> there is in consumer hard drives, but when maxtor tech services refuses to
> aknowledge fault with their ( hoplessly shitty ) product, theres nothing
> else except to take the offending piece of **** ( which is, a maxtor
> drive) and give it to my local PC world for safe disposal.

Usually they have 2 or 3 years warranty, like the others. I have seen as
much ibm or samsung drives die as maxtors. Ok, one old 60G maxtor died on
me without a sign, and I was glad to have most important files backed up.
Other drives of all brands usually die more gracefully (they become slow,
dma fails, before they finally quit) but there is not much difference
between.

> I will never ever ever purchase a maxtor product again and will do my
> utmost to disuade anyone i know from buying such worthless,garbage
> lableled as a hard disk by this comical brand.

Your opinion ...