Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Trouble accessing wegsite

Trouble accessing wegsite

Dave Kelly

There may be a better usegroup for posting this request for help, if
there is, please direct me there.

At http://www.texasflyfishers.org a lot of our members have report not
being able to access the website.

With the exception of one Verizon - MAC user, all the others were Road
Runner who were switched to Comcast.

Is this a known issue?
Are they out to get me?
What can I do to the code to alleviate this problem?

--
A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Dave Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> At http://www.texasflyfishers.org a lot of our members have report not
> being able to access the website.
>
> With the exception of one Verizon - MAC user, all the others were Road
> Runner who were switched to Comcast.
>
> Is this a known issue?
> Are they out to get me?
> What can I do to the code to alleviate this problem?

I personally had no trouble accessing your site, my ISP is Optus,
I am on a Mac, I tried a couple of browsers, Safari and FF.

One thing I would be inclined to do is to fix up the errors that
are showing. At least get it not to show any errors at all. Also
fix up the fault and warnings with your CSS. To start with.

I would also be inclined to use

as a doctype.

--
dorayme

andrew

On 2007-09-01, Dave Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

> At http://www.texasflyfishers.org a lot of our members have report not
> being able to access the website.

Site is fine from here but I was a little gobsmacked at the Alaska
fishing trip:

http://www.texasflyfishers.org/FishP...laskaJun06.htm

You guys _really_ take your fishing seriously!!!

Andrew

--
Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:07:50 -0500, Dave Kelly
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>At http://www.texasflyfishers.org a lot of our members have report not
>being able to access the website.

Clutching at straws, but switch the doctype from XHTML to HTML 4.01
Strict. You have XML markup errors in there which could potentially
make vast parts of the page disappear, even though it's a theoretical
problem, not one I've actually seen demonstrated before.

Sherm Pendley

Dave Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> There may be a better usegroup for posting this request for help, if
> there is, please direct me there.
>
> At http://www.texasflyfishers.org a lot of our members have report not
> being able to access the website.
>
> With the exception of one Verizon - MAC user, all the others were Road
> Runner who were switched to Comcast.
>
> Is this a known issue?
> Are they out to get me?
> What can I do to the code to alleviate this problem?

I get a "site not found" - looks like you have a DNS problem. Nothing you
can do in HTML to fix that, you'll have to ask your web hosting provider
about it.

sherm--

Dave Kelly

Andy Dingley wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:07:50 -0500, Dave Kelly
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> At http://www.texasflyfishers.org a lot of our members have report not
>> being able to access the website.

> Clutching at straws, but switch the doctype from XHTML to HTML 4.01
> Strict. You have XML markup errors in there which could potentially
> make vast parts of the page disappear, even though it's a theoretical
> problem, not one I've actually seen demonstrated before.

Andy and Dorame...
Clutching at straws can work wonders sometimes. I wound up using 'loose
dtd'. That got me from 47 errors down to 2 which I was able to work
out. Now to find why CSS does not validate.

Andrew..........
As a side note. That was a trip 2 of our members made. As luck would
have it, there was a photo shoot in progress during their stay at the
camp and Mike is in about half dozen catalogs and magazines.

Thanks
Dave
--
A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 01 Sep 2007 20:07:50 GMT
Dave Kelly scribed:

> There may be a better usegroup for posting this request for help, if
> there is, please direct me there.
>
> At http://www.texasflyfishers.org a lot of our members have report not
> being able to access the website.
>
> With the exception of one Verizon - MAC user, all the others were Road
> Runner who were switched to Comcast.
>
> Is this a known issue?
> Are they out to get me?

Always...

> What can I do to the code to alleviate this problem?

You must have been working on the page. The only error I get is
"font:normal" which you can just remove or use something generic like
"font-family:sans-serif;" (The 4.01 transitional validates 100%.)

The page loaded fine for me, so I suspect it's as Sherm Pendley suggests -
a host problem.

--
Neredbojias

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Dave Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Clutching at straws can work wonders sometimes. I wound up using 'loose
> dtd'. That got me from 47 errors down to 2 which I was able to work
> out. Now to find why CSS does not validate.

Use Strict, and get rid of align="" in 8 of the img elements. You
can style them with style="float: left;" etc. Or better, class
them and get the style instruction out of line in your css sheet.

--
dorayme