Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Network Monitoring

Network Monitoring

jflash

I am looking for a way to monitor network traffic from the entire
network on one computer. I have asked this before, and was told that
the best way would be to connect the computer that would be doing the
monitoring upstream of the router, but due to the physical setup of
the network, this would be impractical at best. The current setup is a
cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54G router, and then there are
three desktop computers hardwired to the router and then I use the
wireless for my laptop. There is a possibility of me being able to
switch out most of the networking hardware, however, I would want to
retain the wireless functionality. The computer that would be doing
the monitoring is a homemade desktop that dualboots Ubuntu Linux and
Windows XP Home SP2. Thanks!

@}-}-------Rosee

jflash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote news:1188653350.021438.161400
@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> I am looking for a way to monitor network traffic from the entire
> network on one computer. I have asked this before, and was told that
> the best way would be to connect the computer that would be doing the
> monitoring upstream of the router, but due to the physical setup of
> the network, this would be impractical at best. The current setup is a
> cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54G router, and then there are
> three desktop computers hardwired to the router and then I use the
> wireless for my laptop. There is a possibility of me being able to
> switch out most of the networking hardware, however, I would want to
> retain the wireless functionality. The computer that would be doing
> the monitoring is a homemade desktop that dualboots Ubuntu Linux and
> Windows XP Home SP2. Thanks!

LinkLogger. It's not free, but very good!

http://www.linklogger.com

Mike Easter

jflash wrote:
> I am looking for a way to monitor network traffic from the entire
> network on one computer. I have asked this before, and was told that
> the best way would be to connect the computer that would be doing the
> monitoring upstream of the router, but due to the physical setup of
> the network, this would be impractical at best. The current setup is a
> cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54G router, and then there are
> three desktop computers hardwired to the router and then I use the
> wireless for my laptop. There is a possibility of me being able to
> switch out most of the networking hardware, however, I would want to
> retain the wireless functionality. The computer that would be doing
> the monitoring is a homemade desktop that dualboots Ubuntu Linux and
> Windows XP Home SP2. Thanks!

If you change the firmware in the WRT54G to the Sveasoft, the router
will be much more powerful and that will also enable its logging to be
handled/monitored by WallWatcher. Then you would feed the logs to the
desktop and WW.

There's other linux based firmware for the WRT54G.

--
Mike Easter

jflash

On Sep 1, 10:19 am, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> jflash wrote:
> > I am looking for a way to monitor network traffic from the entire
> > network on one computer. I have asked this before, and was told that
> > the best way would be to connect the computer that would be doing the
> > monitoring upstream of the router, but due to the physical setup of
> > the network, this would be impractical at best. The current setup is a
> > cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54G router, and then there are
> > three desktop computers hardwired to the router and then I use the
> > wireless for my laptop. There is a possibility of me being able to
> > switch out most of the networking hardware, however, I would want to
> > retain the wireless functionality. The computer that would be doing
> > the monitoring is a homemade desktop that dualboots Ubuntu Linux and
> > Windows XP Home SP2. Thanks!

> If you change the firmware in the WRT54G to the Sveasoft, the router
> will be much more powerful and that will also enable its logging to be
> handled/monitored by WallWatcher. Then you would feed the logs to the
> desktop and WW.
>
> There's other linux based firmware for the WRT54G.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

I looked into that, but my router is more specifically the WRT54GL,
and I was unable to find linux-based firmware that would obviously
work with the wrt54gl. Are there any good solutions I'm not finding,
or will Sveasoft work with wrt54gl as well as the original wrt54g?

why?

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 13:29:10 -0000, jflash wrote:

>I am looking for a way to monitor network traffic from the entire

Actual traffic or volume?

Different answers.

>network on one computer. I have asked this before, and was told that
>the best way would be to connect the computer that would be doing the
>monitoring upstream of the router, but due to the physical setup of
>the network, this would be impractical at best. The current setup is a
>cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54G router, and then there are

If there isn't SNMP on the router, it's not as easy as

Putting a PC (some ver of Linux) with 2 NICS in front of the router. 1
NIC to the WAN link , route / monitor every thing that passes by NIC 1
to NIC 2 which is connected to the WRT.

Ethernet tap, very expensive,

Get a repeater , not a switch put it between the ISP link WRT, plug a
monitor PC into 1 of the repeater ports. Usually this is only
10Mbps/Half duplex.

Buy a better router.

>three desktop computers hardwired to the router and then I use the
>wireless for my laptop. There is a possibility of me being able to
>switch out most of the networking hardware, however, I would want to
>retain the wireless functionality. The computer that would be doing
>the monitoring is a homemade desktop that dualboots Ubuntu Linux and
>Windows XP Home SP2. Thanks!

Me

Mike Easter

jflash wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> jflash wrote:
>>> I am looking for a way to monitor network traffic from the entire
>>> network on one computer.

>> There's other linux based firmware for the WRT54G.

> I looked into that, but my router is more specifically the WRT54GL,

.... then don't say wrt54g when you mean wrt54gl -- or name the version
of 54g

> and I was unable to find linux-based firmware that would obviously
> work with the wrt54gl. Are there any good solutions I'm not finding,
> or will Sveasoft work with wrt54gl as well as the original wrt54g?

The story behind linksys intentionally crippling the 54g into the 54gl
is here. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1934591,00.asp
Hacking Your Linux-Based Wireless Router -- WRT54GL History - They
halved the amount of flash memory and RAM to just 2MB Flash and 8MB RAM
and switched to a VxWorks firmware. -- Here's a list of some of the
popular third-party firmware available for the WRT54GL:

Then there's the linksysinfo site http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php
to enable users of Linksys devices to post issues and questions and
allow other users to helpfind a solution with their products

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

jflash wrote:
> I am looking for a way to monitor network traffic from the entire
> network on one computer.

Does that mean that you solved the problem of the home built desktop not
having LAN access?\

Where is the followup on that?

--
Mike Easter

jflash

On Sep 1, 12:06 pm, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> jflash wrote:
> > I am looking for a way to monitor network traffic from the entire
> > network on one computer.

> Does that mean that you solved the problem of the home built desktop not
> having LAN access?\
>
> Where is the followup on that?
>
> --
> Mike Easter

I thought I had specified WRT54GL initially, and it was simply an
oversight on my part. And I still haven't resolved the first issue,
but this is more out of curiosity than anything, although once the
first issue gets cleared up I will probably implement this if
possible.

And, why?: Actual traffic, and I was wondering if there was some way
to work it without buying a repeater.

Mr. Arnold

"jflash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Sep 1, 12:06 pm, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> jflash wrote:
>> > I am looking for a way to monitor network traffic from the entire
>> > network on one computer.

>> Does that mean that you solved the problem of the home built desktop not
>> having LAN access?\
>>
>> Where is the followup on that?
>>
>> --
>> Mike Easter

> I thought I had specified WRT54GL initially, and it was simply an
> oversight on my part. And I still haven't resolved the first issue,
> but this is more out of curiosity than anything, although once the
> first issue gets cleared up I will probably implement this if
> possible.
>
> And, why?: Actual traffic, and I was wondering if there was some way
> to work it without buying a repeater.

If the WRT54GL produces a syslog, then you can use Walwtacher to monitor
traffic to and from the router and your network.

http://sonic.net/wallwatcher/

If your router is not listed, then you maybe able to use the generic
functions of WW or you can contact the author of WW and he will work with
you in getting your router's syslog data incorporated in WW.

jflash

On Sep 1, 3:53 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "jflash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> >> Does that mean that you solved the problem of the home built desktop not
> >> having LAN access?\

> >> Where is the followup on that?

> >> --
> >> Mike Easter

> > I thought I had specified WRT54GL initially, and it was simply an
> > oversight on my part. And I still haven't resolved the first issue,
> > but this is more out of curiosity than anything, although once the
> > first issue gets cleared up I will probably implement this if
> > possible.

> > And, why?: Actual traffic, and I was wondering if there was some way
> > to work it without buying a repeater.

> If the WRT54GL produces a syslog, then you can use Walwtacher to monitor
> traffic to and from the router and your network.
>
> http://sonic.net/wallwatcher/
>
> If your router is not listed, then you maybe able to use the generic
> functions of WW or you can contact the author of WW and he will work with
> you in getting your router's syslog data incorporated in WW.

Same problem as above: the 54gl can't have sveasoft installed, and
wallwatcher requires it.