Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Monitor wont work

Monitor wont work

.

Apologies for the lack of detailed system info. I have a dell desktop with
an Acer LCD monitor. The comp has a Geforce graphics card. I was testing out
another computer using all the cabling, monitor etc where the Dell would
have been and the monitor didn't work. When I replaced the Dell unit with
the monitor cable in the Geforce card ithe computer booted up but the
monitor didn't switch on. When I plugged the monitor cable into the onboard
graphics the monitor switched up initially, during the bios bit began to
load windows, but once it had done turned off indicating there was no
signal. It would seem Windows is set to use the Geforce card but the
computer just isn't recognising it at all. Any ideas?

.

BTW, I've just been checking a few other things out and this info might be
useful. The computer IS on, I can reach it and see it on our LAN and Avast
just notified me that the database has been updated, however there is no
beep when the computer boots up. When the computer booted up before it ran
checkdisk, I assume this is because I had to turn it off by using the power
button, which brings me to another question, can you turn off the machine
gently without accessing the GUI?

"." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Apologies for the lack of detailed system info. I have a dell desktop with
> an Acer LCD monitor. The comp has a Geforce graphics card. I was testing
> out another computer using all the cabling, monitor etc where the Dell
> would have been and the monitor didn't work. When I replaced the Dell unit
> with the monitor cable in the Geforce card ithe computer booted up but the
> monitor didn't switch on. When I plugged the monitor cable into the
> onboard graphics the monitor switched up initially, during the bios bit
> began to load windows, but once it had done turned off indicating there
> was no signal. It would seem Windows is set to use the Geforce card but
> the computer just isn't recognising it at all. Any ideas?

.

OK, thanks for the help so far. I've got the moitor working by going into
safe mode and running the monitor from the on board videos. However, there's
no beep on start up. Could this be because the batteries gone and isn't
powering up the Video Card, time and date settings seem to be OK. What's
with the no beep, should I just change the battery?

"." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> BTW, I've just been checking a few other things out and this info might be
> useful. The computer IS on, I can reach it and see it on our LAN and Avast
> just notified me that the database has been updated, however there is no
> beep when the computer boots up. When the computer booted up before it ran
> checkdisk, I assume this is because I had to turn it off by using the
> power button, which brings me to another question, can you turn off the
> machine gently without accessing the GUI?
>

> "." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Apologies for the lack of detailed system info. I have a dell desktop
>> with an Acer LCD monitor. The comp has a Geforce graphics card. I was
>> testing out another computer using all the cabling, monitor etc where the
>> Dell would have been and the monitor didn't work. When I replaced the
>> Dell unit with the monitor cable in the Geforce card ithe computer booted
>> up but the monitor didn't switch on. When I plugged the monitor cable
>> into the onboard graphics the monitor switched up initially, during the
>> bios bit began to load windows, but once it had done turned off
>> indicating there was no signal. It would seem Windows is set to use the
>> Geforce card but the computer just isn't recognising it at all. Any
>> ideas?

Alan

.. wrote:
> OK, thanks for the help so far. I've got the moitor working by going into
> safe mode and running the monitor from the on board videos. However, there's
> no beep on start up. Could this be because the batteries gone and isn't
> powering up the Video Card, time and date settings seem to be OK. What's
> with the no beep, should I just change the battery?
>

> "." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> BTW, I've just been checking a few other things out and this info might be
>> useful. The computer IS on, I can reach it and see it on our LAN and Avast
>> just notified me that the database has been updated, however there is no
>> beep when the computer boots up. When the computer booted up before it ran
>> checkdisk, I assume this is because I had to turn it off by using the
>> power button, which brings me to another question, can you turn off the
>> machine gently without accessing the GUI?
>>

>> "." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Apologies for the lack of detailed system info. I have a dell desktop
>>> with an Acer LCD monitor. The comp has a Geforce graphics card. I was
>>> testing out another computer using all the cabling, monitor etc where the
>>> Dell would have been and the monitor didn't work. When I replaced the
>>> Dell unit with the monitor cable in the Geforce card ithe computer booted
>>> up but the monitor didn't switch on. When I plugged the monitor cable
>>> into the onboard graphics the monitor switched up initially, during the
>>> bios bit began to load windows, but once it had done turned off
>>> indicating there was no signal. It would seem Windows is set to use the
>>> Geforce card but the computer just isn't recognising it at all. Any
>>> ideas?

The fact that your monitor works in safemode means that the resolution
you had set it to before was not supported by the monitor or wrong/bad
drivers for the monitor.