Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PNG pictures to JPEG Picture transferr

PNG pictures to JPEG Picture transferr

PKSon

Is there a way to transfer PNG formatted pictures to JPEG formatted
pictures? The only way I know of is by opening the file in Paint and saving
the file as a JPEG file type and deleting the PNG file. Is there an easier
way to do this? I am using Windows Vista Home Basic. Thanks in advanced!

--
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

PeeCee

"PKSon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Is there a way to transfer PNG formatted pictures to JPEG formatted
> pictures? The only way I know of is by opening the file in Paint and
> saving the file as a JPEG file type and deleting the PNG file. Is there an
> easier way to do this? I am using Windows Vista Home Basic. Thanks in
> advanced!
>
> --
> RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Irfanview 4.00 will save in png format and has a batch mode where you can
point it at a folder of png files and get it to convert all of them to jpg's
and delete the png's afterwards.
(just go to Batch Conversion/Rename under the File menu)

www.irfanview.com

Having said that I must ask why you want to convert them from a lossless
format to a lossy format?
For a better idea of the advantage of using png format read up on the
Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Png

Best
Paul.

Mitch

In article <z%1Ci.110597$fJ5.86010@pd7urf1no>, PKSon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a way to transfer PNG formatted pictures to JPEG formatted
> pictures? The only way I know of is by opening the file in Paint and saving
> the file as a JPEG file type and deleting the PNG file. Is there an easier
> way to do this? I am using Windows Vista Home Basic. Thanks in advanced!

Wrong term -- you are NOT trying to "transfer" the photos, you are
apparently trying to CONVERT them. That is, trying to change their
coding format from one type to another.

A transfer is moving it from a location -- totally irrelevant to it's
KIND.

WHat you are asking about might be "batch conversion" -- where you
specify a folder of source images and the destination and the intended
type, and have it process that group.
Yes, there are plenty of batch conversion tools. I see my Photoshop
Elements can do it, but I usually use Graphic Converter (which has
always been Mac-only). Irfanview, for Windows, may be able to do it.