Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > uninstalingl Norton's

uninstalingl Norton's

John B

hi
I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell computer(
update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall, both free. Can
anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other than using the add
remove programs? thankn john

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>hi
> I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell computer(
>update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall, both free. Can
>anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other than using the add
>remove programs?

Uninstall using the add remove programs, then run Nortons remove
program. http://tinyurl.com/6oq8f

200,000 Elliptical Galaxies Point the Same Way
http://science.slashdot.org/science/.../1516224.shtml

Jerry G.

If you do not use add-remove programs to get Norton's software out of
your computer, you will be in for a very big registration management
problem. This can take a number of hours to accomplish by someone who
knows what they are doing, and there is the danger of damaging the
registry with manual changes to the registry.

Why not stay with Norton's antivirus??? It's supposed to be a good one.

--

Jerry G.

"John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mgYBi.1129$(E-Mail Removed)...
hi
I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell
computer(
update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall, both free.
Can
anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other than using the
add
remove programs? thankn john

Mara

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:12:09 -0400, "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If you do not use add-remove programs to get Norton's software out of
>your computer, you will be in for a very big registration management
>problem. This can take a number of hours to accomplish by someone who
>knows what they are doing, and there is the danger of damaging the
>registry with manual changes to the registry.
>
>Why not stay with Norton's antivirus??? It's supposed to be a good one.

"Supposed to be" and "is" are entirely different categories, and Norton doesn't
belong in either.

It actually belongs in the "Quick! Kill it before it multiplies!" category.

--
People in the computer industry use the word "user", which to them
means "idiot". -Dave Barry

Tester

You're probably not supposed to do this after your subscription has
expired but you can download files ending in i32.exe from
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/AVDEFS/norton_antivirus and use them to update
your virus definitions.

If this stops working, there are other ways to update from these
downloads which are probably Google-able.

Of course, you can get free AVG from Grisoft and there's a free DOS
version of f-prot which you can use for scanning files so you don't
really need Norton. (DOS f-prot isn't being upgraded but the
definition files are being updated and they've been known to catch a
new piece of malware before Norton which may be a recommendation for
their non-free Windows program.)

The best antivirus program of all is between your ears.

Plato

John B wrote:

> I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell computer(
> update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall, both free. Can
> anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other than using the add
> remove programs? thankn john

If the add/remove doesn't work that well try the unistall utils on this
page:
http://www.bootdisk.com/helpdesk.htm

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/