Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Pop U

Pop U

Chuck

My grandson's PC is loaded with pop-ups. What's the best way to delete
them?

Brian

start by deleting temp internet files and cookies. download a spyware
removal tool like spybot to remove unwanted spyware. update your antivirus
program. If you are still experiencing popups at that point get Hijack This
and post the log file for assistance (read instructions with Hijack This
before using, it's easy to make a mistake with that program and wipe out
your registry)

jinxy

On Aug 31, 6:15 am, "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> start by deleting temp internet files and cookies. download a spyware
> removal tool like spybot to remove unwanted spyware. update your antivirus
> program. If you are still experiencing popups at that point get Hijack This
> and post the log file for assistance (read instructions with Hijack This
> before using, it's easy to make a mistake with that program and wipe out
> your registry)

Open your browser, click on Tools and select pop-up blocked and turn
it on. There done.
-J

Paul

Chuck wrote:
> My grandson's PC is loaded with pop-ups. What's the best way to delete
> them?

When you see the pop-ups, that might be the tip of the iceburg.
There could be a lot more hiding under the surface than just
popups (keyloggers, root kits etc).

You can have a look through the topics at the top of the list here.

http://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijack...ans_Oh_My.html

The simplest way to get rid of a problem, is reinstall the OS and all applications.
Once the system is restored, take a snapshot with your backup software. The
next time it happens, simply blow away the disk and restore from the image
you made. Yes, restoring the user data and settings, is the weak link in
this method. But having a clean image to work with, is the only way I know
of to eradicate a problem, using your own time and wits, and not having
to learn anything.

There are two aspects to the problem:

1) Fixing it this time.
2) Planning for prevention in the future or
Planning for what happens when it happens again (and it will)

Things you can do:

1) Keep Windows up to date. Patches come out every Tuesday.
2) Learn about the simple things you can do to make a system secure. Look for
pages like this one.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/securi...puting/xp.html

3) Find a good virus/malware package. Some are intended to be used by
rocket scientists, some are heavy on resources. There is a site
that compares them.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...e/report14.pdf

There are newsgroups that specialize in viruses or malware, and
real experts live there. Either you'll use the services of a
volunteer (private forum or USENET group), or use a local outfit
to fix the problem. But because it will happen again, you also need
to continue working on strategies to reduce downtime the next
time. You'd spend a small fortune hiring a local computer
firm to fix it.

I have enough trouble keeping my own system clean, to know I
cannot advise you further.

Paul