Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ripped off by itunes HELP!

Reply
Thread Tools

ripped off by itunes HELP!

 
 
Muze Gruppes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2007
Muze Gruppes wrote:
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Muze Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2 tracks. In the
>>> signup process they said the music was 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks.
>>> Instead I got 2 .M4P files that foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime
>>> can (only it seems) Is there a way/progranm to change these files to
>>> .aac or .mp3 Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from
>>> apple...

>>
>> FairPlay DRM http://tinyurl.com/229pcm

>
> Apple said in a big announcement that itunes would no longer be DRM
>
> I read the statement when signing up and I checked the box that said
> basically that I wan't non-DRM tracks (yes there was actually a box to
> check) and INSTEAD I got a non .AAC track. And to the guy who claimed I
> was stupid and I've been on USENET for a while and should know better, I
> tried to find these 2 tracks on SOULSEEK but couldn't find in anywhere
> so Itunes was the last place to find them and I REALLY wanted the tracks
> so that's where I looked.

oops

apparently this applies only to tracks from EMI records?? Ugh...
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
meerkat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2007

"Muze Gruppes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46d82a63$0$28831$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Muze Gruppes wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Muze Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2 tracks. In the
>>>> signup process they said the music was 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead
>>>> I got 2 .M4P files that foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only
>>>> it seems) Is there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
>>>> Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from apple...
>>>
>>> FairPlay DRM http://tinyurl.com/229pcm

>>
>> Apple said in a big announcement that itunes would no longer be DRM
>>
>> I read the statement when signing up and I checked the box that said
>> basically that I wan't non-DRM tracks (yes there was actually a box to
>> check) and INSTEAD I got a non .AAC track. And to the guy who claimed I
>> was stupid and I've been on USENET for a while and should know better, I
>> tried to find these 2 tracks on SOULSEEK but couldn't find in anywhere so
>> Itunes was the last place to find them and I REALLY wanted the tracks so
>> that's where I looked.

> oops
>
> apparently this applies only to tracks from EMI records?? Ugh...
>

Remember. Must read the Instructions before continuing.
(PS. we`re all guilty of not doing that).

bw..


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Muze Gruppes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2007
thanatoid wrote:
> Muze Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:46d75c24$0$31902$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2
>> tracks. In the signup process they said the music was
>> 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead I got 2 .M4P files that
>> foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only it seems) Is
>> there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
>> Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from
>> apple...

>
> You're a regular Usenet user and you PAID to join iTunes? WHAT
> is your problem? Need a clue or something?
>
> Use the Usenet while we still have it, dude.
>
> As for mp4, there are plugins for the countless audio converters
> that will convert this sort of new format to anything you want.
> I don't know about the DRM part because I don't use Vista and I
> like the Usenet, so can't help you there.
>


ok fine, so I looked into mp3 binaries and got lost in this:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/mp3/newsgroups-faq/

is there any other url you know of with a more user FRIENDLY way to
convert all those lovely letters and numbers into an mp3?

Thanks )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
 
Reply With Quote
 
who'sthat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2007
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:28:12 -0400, Muze Gruppes
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>thanatoid wrote:
>> Muze Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:46d75c24$0$31902$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2
>>> tracks. In the signup process they said the music was
>>> 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead I got 2 .M4P files that
>>> foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only it seems) Is
>>> there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
>>> Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from
>>> apple...

>>
>> You're a regular Usenet user and you PAID to join iTunes? WHAT
>> is your problem? Need a clue or something?
>>
>> Use the Usenet while we still have it, dude.
>>
>> As for mp4, there are plugins for the countless audio converters
>> that will convert this sort of new format to anything you want.
>> I don't know about the DRM part because I don't use Vista and I
>> like the Usenet, so can't help you there.
>>

>Uh, normally I use soulseek or even emusic.com (cheap and non-DRM)
>APPLE said that they were going non-DRM and I could not find these 2
>tracks on Soulseek or emusic.com so itunes it turned out was the last
>source to acquiring these 2 songs. And LIMEWIRE sucks monkey balls so
>don't even get me started there.
>
>So no I don't need a clue. Apparently you did so I gave you some.


What songs?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Spuds
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2007
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:09:11 -0400, Muze Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2 tracks. In the
>signup process they said the music was 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead
>I got 2 .M4P files that foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only
>it seems) Is there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
>Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from apple...


http://hymn-project.org/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Muze Gruppes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2007
who'sthat wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:28:12 -0400, Muze Gruppes
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> thanatoid wrote:
>>> Muze Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:46d75c24$0$31902$(E-Mail Removed):
>>>
>>>> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2
>>>> tracks. In the signup process they said the music was
>>>> 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead I got 2 .M4P files that
>>>> foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only it seems) Is
>>>> there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
>>>> Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from
>>>> apple...
>>> You're a regular Usenet user and you PAID to join iTunes? WHAT
>>> is your problem? Need a clue or something?
>>>
>>> Use the Usenet while we still have it, dude.
>>>
>>> As for mp4, there are plugins for the countless audio converters
>>> that will convert this sort of new format to anything you want.
>>> I don't know about the DRM part because I don't use Vista and I
>>> like the Usenet, so can't help you there.
>>>

>> Uh, normally I use soulseek or even emusic.com (cheap and non-DRM)
>> APPLE said that they were going non-DRM and I could not find these 2
>> tracks on Soulseek or emusic.com so itunes it turned out was the last
>> source to acquiring these 2 songs. And LIMEWIRE sucks monkey balls so
>> don't even get me started there.
>>
>> So no I don't need a clue. Apparently you did so I gave you some.

>
> What songs?


2 tracks by the group 'Mortal Loom' ("Sex, Romance & Glamour" and "Fade
to Black") that are collaborations with Chris Carter and Cosey Fanni
Tutti (Of Carter Tutti, Chris & Cosey, and Throbbing Gristle fame)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Muze Gruppes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2007
Spuds wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:09:11 -0400, Muze Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2 tracks. In the
>> signup process they said the music was 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead
>> I got 2 .M4P files that foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only
>> it seems) Is there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
>> Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from apple...

>
> http://hymn-project.org/


How the HELL do you get *that* set up?? I mean really... you need extra
software to use it, and that extra software is like hunting for Noah's Ark
 
Reply With Quote
 
Spuds
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:23:27 -0400, Muze Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Spuds wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:09:11 -0400, Muze Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2 tracks. In the
>>> signup process they said the music was 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead
>>> I got 2 .M4P files that foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only
>>> it seems) Is there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
>>> Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from apple...

>>
>> http://hymn-project.org/

>
>How the HELL do you get *that* set up?? I mean really... you need extra
>software to use it, and that extra software is like hunting for Noah's Ark


??
I don't have any iTunes to test it on, but it looks pretty simple to me. One
screen with few options.

You didn't download the source code by mistake, did you? It's first on the
download list.
 
Reply With Quote
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
Muze Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:46d82572$0$11002$(E-Mail Removed):

> thanatoid wrote:
>> Muze Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:46d75c24$0$31902$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2
>>> tracks. In the signup process they said the music was
>>> 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead I got 2 .M4P files that
>>> foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only it seems)
>>> Is there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or
>>> .mp3 Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music
>>> from apple...

>>
>> You're a regular Usenet user and you PAID to join iTunes?
>> WHAT is your problem? Need a clue or something?
>>
>> Use the Usenet while we still have it, dude.
>>
>> As for mp4, there are plugins for the countless audio
>> converters that will convert this sort of new format to
>> anything you want. I don't know about the DRM part because
>> I don't use Vista and I like the Usenet, so can't help you
>> there.
>>

> Uh, normally I use soulseek or even emusic.com (cheap and
> non-DRM) APPLE said that they were going non-DRM and I
> could not find these 2 tracks on Soulseek or emusic.com so
> itunes it turned out was the last source to acquiring these
> 2 songs. And LIMEWIRE sucks monkey balls so don't even get
> me started there.
>
> So no I don't need a clue. Apparently you did so I gave you
> some.


(Laughter break.)

Maybe you should check on the difference between internet and
Usenet. You might even find out what www stands for!

And yes, SOULseek (not that I will bother ever visiting)
definitely sounds like the place for some CTI music... SIGH.

Here's some clues, Oh Ignorant One (wrote it all out complete
but then decided it was time to get your brain some
exercise...):

binaries.sounds gothic-industrial binsearch REQ: vinden

SOME of this is totally basic but at least one is HIGHER
KNOWLEDGE so be careful. I am not responsible.

Feel free to thank me anytime.

As for hymn, why don't you just hire someone to do *everything*
for you, so you won't have to bother even reading a help file?
Awwww, life is SOOO hard, I know.

--
"This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
- illyria
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mitch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Smirnoff
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm not the OP but found your answer very informative, thanks for that.
> I notice that you can use the custom settings in Importing to select
> 256kbps. There are also other options to choose (VBR, quality, normal or
> joint stereo etc). What are the best/realistic settings for these
> options?

That's quite subjective, but my suggestion would be to consider where
you are going to play it. If you're talking about a portable device,
external noise is the bigger problem, and smaller file size is a
benefit. If you play largely at home, as I usually do, the opposites
are true.
I usually use AAC or MP3 at 256, but I also make duplicates for stuff
that I will use on a portable (like audiobooks) I encode with MP3 at
just 64 bits.

The "joint stereo' function is supposed to take advantage of identical
portions of two stereo tracks to improve how the differences are
encoded. It is supposed to be more effective for lower bit rates. I
have never checked what kinds of devices know how to deal with it, so I
largely ignore it and use Normal Stereo (one channel for L, one for R).

> Also, I notice that you refer to DRM (Digital Rights Management, if I
> recall correctly), which I believe restricts your ability to copy/play
> files in some way. I cannot see an option to remove this, is there one?


DRM is about protecting the publisher's property, yes. It is supposed
to discourage uploading files en masse or even make it impossible for a
recipient to use the files. In practice, it's a flawed system, but the
most urgent complaints seem to be from people who insist they have a
right to copy and distribute anything they wish to anyone.

As far as I'm concerned, Apple's FairPlay system is very fair. It
applies only to tracks you buy from iTunes Store.
If you buy a track, you can play it on up to five devices (iPods or
computers) that you authorize.
If you buy a whole album, you can burn that to CD up to 7 times.
If you burn to a regular audio CD, or convert to another format, you
have removed any DRM present.
Note that the above concessions were argued specifically between Jobs
and the labels -- they are not at Apple's discretion alone, and the
labels have made noise both ways since that time.
(DRM is not supposed to do anything to affect the sound quality, but
recent developments suggest that is the next major tactic from some
labels.)

Apple has recently introduced an option sell tracks from some labels
with no DRM at all, and higher quality, for a higher price. I've read
several articles praising this, and one that (in a haphazard
comparison) said he didn't hear any difference.

In any case, every buyer always has all the same options as ever -- to
buy music on discs. But since some labels have been using DRM there,
the issue of how you are allowed to use what you pay for is still worth
being fought. (As far as I'm concerned, buying it on CD shouldn't mean
you can't make copies for another kind of device.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ripped off disoba@gmail.com Digital Photography 8 05-17-2005 05:49 PM
ripped off disoba@gmail.com Digital Photography 1 05-16-2005 03:27 PM
Are We being Ripped OFF by all Dealers.. CSE NZ Computing 19 04-11-2005 12:39 AM
Netflix Ripped Me Off BigHock DVD Video 5 11-19-2004 01:31 AM
Ripped Off? sensible Digital Photography 18 11-10-2004 06:28 PM



Advertisments