Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to edit selected row of GridView in a DetailsView?

How to edit selected row of GridView in a DetailsView?

David Ching

I am not getting any response to my previous question on reusing a
DetailsView to insert and edit the selected row in a GridView.

So I'll ask an even more basic question. Newbie alert! When the user
clicks the Edit link in a GridView, is it common to use a DetailsView to
edit that row instead of putting the GridView into Edit mode and editing the
row in place? I would assume so, because the GridView does not typically
have columns for every field in the record.

If it is common to use a DetailsView to edit, how do you get to it? Do you
put it in another page that you redirect to, or do you do something like I
wanted to do such as put it in a <div> tag on the same page as the GridView,
then show it as a popup by settinig its style to "blocked"?

And once you have this in place, can you easily repurpose the DetailsView to
Insert a new record in addition to editing the selected one?

I'm very sure this is one of the first things one would want to do with an
ASP.NET database app, and I'm just not getting it. Help!

Thanks much,
David

Bgreer5050

Are you using Visual Web Developer?

"David Ching" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C5IBi.443$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I am not getting any response to my previous question on reusing a
>DetailsView to insert and edit the selected row in a GridView.
>
> So I'll ask an even more basic question. Newbie alert! When the user
> clicks the Edit link in a GridView, is it common to use a DetailsView to
> edit that row instead of putting the GridView into Edit mode and editing
> the row in place? I would assume so, because the GridView does not
> typically have columns for every field in the record.
>
> If it is common to use a DetailsView to edit, how do you get to it? Do
> you put it in another page that you redirect to, or do you do something
> like I wanted to do such as put it in a <div> tag on the same page as the
> GridView, then show it as a popup by settinig its style to "blocked"?
>
> And once you have this in place, can you easily repurpose the DetailsView
> to Insert a new record in addition to editing the selected one?
>
> I'm very sure this is one of the first things one would want to do with an
> ASP.NET database app, and I'm just not getting it. Help!
>
> Thanks much,
> David

David Ching

"Bgreer5050" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tUKBi.22056$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Are you using Visual Web Developer?

I'm using Visual Studio 2005 and Expression Web. But why does this matter?

Thanks,
David